Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 09:48 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Small community. Believe it or not, most people are pretty good at detecting someone with a mental disability. Those of us with more severe issues look and act just slightly different than the norm, and we really can't help it. Plus, I am easy to spot just about everywhere I go. In every city and town I've lived so far, many people have told me that I don't act like and look nothing like the locals.

Let me put it this way. I think most people have a good enough idea of what someone with Down Syndrome looks like. A person can have those facial features without actually having Down Syndrome, and that in itself usually hints at some sort of mental dysfunction.

Well there's certainly nothing wrong with your writing/language. You seem very intelligent.

Nonetheless, who cares what anyone thinks! Go out, do shopping whatever you need to do. Let them talk. Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I have never heard it used. I teach middle elementary.
Me either. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 10:13 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Well there's certainly nothing wrong with your writing/language. You seem very intelligent.

Nonetheless, who cares what anyone thinks! Go out, do shopping whatever you need to do. Let them talk. Carry on.

Yes, I do whatever I need to do. But I'm not sure if what I said was as much about what anyone else thinks as their actions and words such as snickering, or like the OP mentions, the autism insult.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Autism doesn't imply intellectual impairment.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:47 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
There have been a few characters on TV lately who are deemed "autistic." Sometimes, the program handles the issues sensitively, such as on Sesame Street and other times, the autistic behavior is portrayed derisively in comedic pieces or to showcase "the other" in a dramatic series. Children are picking up on the term without fully understanding the meaning.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:21 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Autism doesn't imply intellectual impairment.
I understand that. It's was compliment.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:26 PM

412 posts, read 275,633 times
It bothers me that kids find this to be funny, clever, or a good strategy on handling a conflict. Not to mention that it doesn't even make any sense given those with autism often have higher IQs.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:18 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
It bothers me that kids find this to be funny, clever, or a good strategy on handling a conflict. Not to mention that it doesn't even make any sense given those with autism often have higher IQs.
Aspergers is now lumped in with Autism, so high functioning people with social communication and interaction weakness are on the spectrum beside low functioning people who have ritualistic-repetitive behaviour, and severe social communication and interaction impairment. Social interaction deficit is the common characteristic, but intellectual functioning is all over the map.

Children have always made fun of things they don't understand. It's the responsibility of adults to neutralize the behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching