Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 04:36 PM

412 posts, read 276,148 times

Advertisements

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a common issue among relational aggression or just something I've been hearing at the schools I've been substitute teaching at, but I've had to reprimand a lot of students lately for using the word autism or autistic as an insult.

They get into 12-14 year old bickering contests and one goes, "Well, you have autism.", or "Shut up, you're autistic."

This has been something at least 5 times recently that I've heard in different middle schools. I will either tell them that's not appropriate, or remind them autistic people make up some of the most intelligent people in our society, so that's not a good comeback. Usually that one works out better as the other students will tell them they just got roasted by the teacher, so may be less likely to use that as a comeback, and trying to get kids that age to feel a sense of empathy and sensitivity is often sometimes counterproductive.

I don't know how long this has even been going on or if other teachers have been noticing it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 05:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Been hearing that term for a few years, so it is not too new (I am not a teacher by the way)

It is used in a negative way, despite any definitions of it and potential for people with it to be intelligent, so telling someone this is not going to do anything. Plus, it is just used as the negative term, like if someone calls an article of clothing "gay", that does not mean that clothing is homosexual, nor does it mean it is happy if using the former well known definition.

This was predictable though as years ago everyone started harping on the "retard" thing. Sorry, people are going to call others names, and it has been this way forever, cycling through the dictionary chasing it will not make it stop.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:21 PM

412 posts, read 276,148 times
I must have been out of the loop, as I don't hear this much. I've heard gay a lot, and tell them not to use that word either. I've been hearing retard used since I was a kid. I've not heard the autism one before this year though.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:32 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
When I was in the classroom, the insult du jour was to chide someone for (supposedly) having ADD.

Speak to the other teachers on the team about whether this has been ongoing.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:47 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times
Yes, this is a thing. Autism has become synonymous with the 'R word'.

It's been pointed out to me several times by my 18 year old twin girls when they show me conversations on social media.

Woe to he/she who says it to either of them! My son; their little brother has Severe, Regressive Autism & they & all their friends will decimate anyone who goes there. Seriously; I am impressed with their ability to tear anyone who insults the disabled a new one.

Between my twins & my son's 6 other older siblings; there are plenty of ambassadors against this type of speech here in Colorado Springs. Peer pressure can be a positive thing & I do hope there are other vigilante siblings of autistic kids in all areas who will set them straight.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:59 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,960,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if this is a common issue among relational aggression or just something I've been hearing at the schools I've been substitute teaching at, but I've had to reprimand a lot of students lately for using the word autism or autistic as an insult.

They get into 12-14 year old bickering contests and one goes, "Well, you have autism.", or "Shut up, you're autistic."

This has been something at least 5 times recently that I've heard in different middle schools. I will either tell them that's not appropriate, or remind them autistic people make up some of the most intelligent people in our society, so that's not a good comeback. Usually that one works out better as the other students will tell them they just got roasted by the teacher, so may be less likely to use that as a comeback, and trying to get kids that age to feel a sense of empathy and sensitivity is often sometimes counterproductive.

I don't know how long this has even been going on or if other teachers have been noticing it too.
Using some form of other intelligence as an insult is normal throughout the centuries. Adding a new name that means the same thing doesn't mean that people stop insulting each other's intelligence, it just means they have a bigger toolbox for hurling insults.

Are teachers surprised that using a different word to describe someone as different did not disrupt name calling?

Old 12-27-2019, 06:09 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,186,114 times
As someone who considers herself autistic or some form of it, I can say for certain that it the same as the r-word.

I've had no siblings or anyone else to defend me throughout my entire life. Once people figure out that I'm slow, they start talking differently or most of the time stop talking around me altogether. Whenever I get the guts to go shopping in person instead of online where I do most of my purchases, I get snickers from cashiers, stares and giggles from sales floor attendants as well as other customers.

Believe me, being the r-word is much worse than being a minority or disabled in some other way. People truly hate those of us who are labeled as "stupid" and/or "simpleton" by society, and feels deeply like the lowest of existence.

Old 12-27-2019, 06:20 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
As someone who considers herself autistic or some form of it, I can say for certain that it the same as the r-word.

I've had no siblings or anyone else to defend me throughout my entire life. Once people figure out that I'm slow, they start talking differently or most of the time stop talking around me altogether. Whenever I get the guts to go shopping in person instead of online where I do most of my purchases, I get snickers from cashiers, stares and giggles from sales floor attendants as well as other customers.

Believe me, being the r-word is much worse than being a minority or disabled in some other way. People truly hate those of us who are labeled as "stupid" and/or "simpleton" by society, and feels deeply like the lowest of existence.

How do the customers and staff know you're autistic?

Old 12-27-2019, 06:51 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,186,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
How do the customers and staff know you're autistic?

Small community. Believe it or not, most people are pretty good at detecting someone with a mental disability. Those of us with more severe issues look and act just slightly different than the norm, and we really can't help it. Plus, I am easy to spot just about everywhere I go. In every city and town I've lived so far, many people have told me that I don't act like and look nothing like the locals.

Let me put it this way. I think most people have a good enough idea of what someone with Down Syndrome looks like. A person can have those facial features without actually having Down Syndrome, and that in itself usually hints at some sort of mental dysfunction.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:56 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
I have never heard it used. I teach middle elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching