Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 05:01 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times

Advertisements

I have had students with ADHD or ODD have success with an antipsychotic medicine Respirdol. I don’t think medication is always needed or beneficial, but this child seems to be in need of different meds. Hopefully she gets what she needs to be successful and thrive. I feel badly for the mom and daughter. They must both be traumatized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 05:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I have had students with ADHD or ODD have success with an antipsychotic medicine Respirdol. I don’t think medication is always needed or beneficial, but this child seems to be in need of different meds. Hopefully she gets what she needs to be successful and thrive. I feel badly for the mom and daughter. They must both be traumatized.
Risperdal has some serious side effects. It is used, but not for every child with ADHD or ODD. Also not every child needs medication.

They should never have baker acted a 6 year old. Her mom could have picked her up.

Old 02-14-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Risperdal has some serious side effects. It is used, but not for every child with ADHD or ODD. Also not every child needs medication.

They should never have baker acted a 6 year old. Her mom could have picked her up.
Of course not every child needs medication.

However, this child has been kicked out of multiple schools by the age of 6. I’ve never seen a child be kicked out of a public school. Usually it’s just new placement in a program.

She has ADHD along with a pretty serious mood disorder. Suicides in children under age 12 are becoming more common, and its rising in the black community. About 60% of children in the younger group that commit suicidal had ADD or ADHD with severe mood disorders.

A professional mental health person was called in after an outburst and that professional decided it was serious enough to Baker act the child. We don’t know what the child did or said in the outburst. Some young children with severe issues kill themselves or others. In the case of extremely severe behavior problems, I have seen success with that medication. Especially with self harm and cutting of wrists.

It’s a very very scary situation when a child is in that state of being out of control. I’d rather medicate a child in severe need than put them in a facility. The medical staff decides what happens along with the parent. The Baker act is unfortunate in my opinion, but I feel this child is not getting any of her needs met currently and a regular school is probably not the Best placement for her.

Last edited by Meyerland; 02-14-2020 at 05:53 PM..

Old 02-15-2020, 12:01 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Officers on scene said she was calm and they thought the school just didnt feel like dealing with her tandrum.
This is what I read:

Quote:
According to the incident report, a sheriff’s officer arrived at the school at about 10:30 a.m...
The subject was destroying school property, attacking staff, out of control, and running out of school,” the report said. “The subject has been diagnosed with disruptive mood, disregulation disorder, and is prescribed Adderall.”

Old 02-15-2020, 12:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
The subject was destroying school property, attacking staff, out of control, and running out of school,” the report said
Ugh, sounds like so many calls I got about my parent that I had care of for over 30 yrs. I told my kids... "Some people have wayward kids... Some have wayward parents...and I don't want BOTH!". They seemed to have heeded my request.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:58 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Wow..that's a lot of assumptions to make from that article. Here's some additional information:

Police said the child was calm and the school didn't want to deal with it
Quote:
According to the incident report, a sheriff’s officer arrived at the school at about 10:30 a.m...
“The subject was destroying school property, attacking staff, out of control, and running out of school,” the report said. “The subject has been diagnosed with disruptive mood, disregulation disorder, and is prescribed Adderall.”
So who is to believe?

Quote:
The mother did not ignore the child's condition, the child is under the care of a psychiatrist
Mom should find a better psychiatrist because according to another poster this little girl is currently (based on how it was written) being evaluated for autism. You'd think that have been figured out by now - and after the 6 year old having been to "multiple" schools due to her "issues" - and only 6 years old.

Quote:
Florida has laws regarding special needs kids, did the school even identify her as being special needs or make an IEP plan?
Apparently she was in a SPED class. An all-for-one SPED class?

Small school - how many SPED classes per grade level and per SPED NEED can they have? Doesn't seem to be a school in a district that has a lot of tax payer dollars funding "special needs".

And when one acts out like this little girl did? What is the staff to do other than call the cops? Can't put their hands on her to restrain her. Just call mom to pick her up while watching the child destroy the classroom, attack the staff, and until mom shows up...or write it off and wait for the next time - while every other child in that class was also traumatized (and most likely a lot MORE than a "normal" child would be) by this little girl's actions?

What's the solution?

Do you have one?

Old 02-15-2020, 09:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
This is what I read:
It doesn't sound like the Officers observed that behavior, but rather that they were told what the child was doing prior to their arrival.

Quote:
Quote:
According to the incident report, a sheriff’s officer arrived at the school at about 10:30 a.m. and was told by the social worker that the child was “a threat to herself and others.”
The report noted the girl as 4-feet tall, 50 to 60 pounds and wearing a pink shirt and blue jeans.
“The subject was destroying school property, attacking staff, out of control, and running out of school,” the report said. “The subject has been diagnosed with disruptive mood, disregulation disorder, and is prescribed Adderall.” https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20...ealth-facility

Old 02-15-2020, 12:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

Apparently she was in a SPED class. An all-for-one SPED class?

Small school - how many SPED classes per grade level and per SPED NEED can they have? Doesn't seem to be a school in a district that has a lot of tax payer dollars funding "special needs".
Note even in large schools special needs classes are often for all disabilities. Some, but very few schools, have autism only classrooms.

My autistic grandson went to the special needs preK at 5 and it was all-inclusive, but we are a suburb of 100,000 people and his k-4 school had around 700 students total.

Old 02-15-2020, 05:04 PM

Having worked with children that were violent, it was easier 20 years ago to help them. We could use gentle yet firm restraints and have large entirely soft and carpeted empty rooms for calming down.

Now every teacher is scared out of their minds to restrain any child. We just evacuate the other 20-30 kids and clear the area surrounding the out of control child. I’ve never had a student need police intervention, except in one extremely violent case where the child was choking another student viciously and banging their head on the concrete. It’s a tough spot for every person involved.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:16 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Having worked with children that were violent, it was easier 20 years ago to help them. We could use gentle yet firm restraints and have large entirely soft and carpeted empty rooms for calming down.

Now every teacher is scared out of their minds to restrain any child. We just evacuate the other 20-30 kids and clear the area surrounding the out of control child. I’ve never had a student need police intervention, except in one extremely violent case where the child was choking another student viciously and banging their head on the concrete. It’s a tough spot for every person involved.

"Now every teacher is scared out of their minds to restrain any child"
I retired from teaching special education the year that the state determined that all types of restraint were illegal.

Walking in the hallway holding the wrist or hand or arm of a young child who is profoundly cognitively delayed and a "runner" (to keep them from running away or falling down the stairs). Illegal restraint.

Reaching out with your hand to help a child get up from the floor, either after they fell or after they had a tantum. Illegal restraint.

Standing in front of the class room door to keep a child (special education or regular education) from running out. Illegal restraint.

Standing in front of the door to the outside of the school to keep a child from running outside the building. Illegal restraint.

Grabbing a child by the hand/wrist/waist to keep them from running in front of a moving car on the parking lot or onto a busy street. Illegal restraint.

You were allowed to use your voice in these situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching