Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 12:46 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
You are incorrect. There are people in my area with no internet. I know because there was recently a news story about it.
Which town? Do you have a link to the news story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 07:11 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I know that when I was teaching there was nothing I liked to do more than come home, correct some more papers and then get on the computer to research lesson plans and watch a video on the latest educational theories. Doing that just made me feel complete.

Teachers not having computers or internet access at home isn't the issue-students not having either is. Work on that before penalizing teachers and thinking up even more **** for them to do when they're at home.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:24 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Internet usage in the US

https://www.statista.com/topics/2237...united-states/

Quote:
The United States, the fourth largest country in the world by land area, is no exception. With over 312 million internet users as of 2018, it is one of the largest online markets worldwide. In 2019, it was found that just ten percent of U.S. adults said that they do not use the internet. Internet usage in the United States is frequent, with 43 percent of surveyed adults saying that they used the internet several times a day as of February 2018, compared to just eight percent who said they accessed the internet about once a day. The United States are also one of the highest-ranked countries in terms of internet freedom, ranking fourth in the Freedom House Index of 2017 with 21 points.
I bet they did not even ask the Native Americans.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Which town? Do you have a link to the news story?
https://www.nbcwashington.com/invest...ccess/2211920/

The Maryland areas mentioned are a couple of the wealthiest Zip Codes in the state and are likely Top 25 nationally.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/ne...rnet/83159760/

Old 03-23-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
https://www.nbcwashington.com/invest...ccess/2211920/

The Maryland areas mentioned are a couple of the wealthiest Zip Codes in the state and are likely Top 25 nationally.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/ne...rnet/83159760/
These are discussing high-speed broadband. Not internet access. The first article even mentions that there's cellular internet access.

As far as I am aware, the United States has 100% internet access coverage.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:31 AM

729 posts, read 533,359 times
There are people that like to separate their home life from their work life.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
These are discussing high-speed broadband. Not internet access. The first article even mentions that there's cellular internet access.

As far as I am aware, the United States has 100% internet access coverage.
Coverage is different than access.

One last try:

https://www.vox.com/2017/6/20/158396...ajor-economies

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research...rogress-report

Old 03-23-2020, 09:04 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
You'd be surprised at how many people in Manhattan do not have the internet at home. They depend on public spaces for the internet. Now with a shelter in place order, they can't use it.

The other problem is right now, parents are also using the internet to work at home. I've heard stories where kids can't access it because the parents need it for work. Same for computers. How many 8 year olds have their own laptops. They share it with older siblings and parents.

In the old days, teachers got their ideas from educational journals. My subscription to The Mailbox was well worth every penny.

And then the internet service is often fickle. Mine goes out a lot when there's high wind, snow, or heavy rain with thunder and lightning. It is not reliable.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
My point is... anyone in the United States who wants internet access can get it. There's no coverage or access issues based on where you live. If a teacher wants the internet, they can get it.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:14 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
We sure don't in Hawaii. Many of my Hawaiian students live in valleys that have no phone, Internet, or TV reception.
Yikes, that's rough...no phone, internet or TV.

Quote:
I know that when I was teaching there was nothing I liked to do more than come home, correct some more papers and then get on the computer to research lesson plans and watch a video on the latest educational theories. Doing that just made me feel complete...
Right, I agree. THIS is the type of mentality I like too & wondered how many teachers out there have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
You'd be surprised at how many people in Manhattan do not have the internet at home. They depend on public spaces for the internet. Now with a shelter in place order, they can't use it.

The other problem is right now, parents are also using the internet to work at home. I've heard stories where kids can't access it because the parents need it for work. Same for computers. How many 8 year olds have their own laptops. They share it with older siblings and parents.

In the old days, teachers got their ideas from educational journals. My subscription to The Mailbox was well worth every penny.

And then the internet service is often fickle. Mine goes out a lot when there's high wind, snow, or heavy rain with thunder and lightning. It is not reliable.
My thread wasn't just about now that covid-19 started, but IN GENERAL, but since covid-19 has started, it's all the more important to have internet.

I wonder how everyone's going to do their work & schooling from home if multiple people in the household have to do their stuff at the SAME times? If the adult parents do their work from 8a - 5p for example, the kids can't do their school during the same hours. All bosses & schools can't work around each person's schedule...that would be too many various hours round the clock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching