Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 10:58 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,033,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
They don't have it because it's unavailable, or because they don't want it? And are any of them teachers?

How big a problem is it, that teachers don't have internet at home? I live in a good school district, and I doubt, very much, that there are ANY teachers in the district, without internet. Heck, even their smart phones have internet, so they could at least email and google stuff.

I'm sure there are poorer and less equipped school districts...like in rural areas...but if it's not in the budget, then it's not in the budget.
I think it was just a rant from a non teacher non parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 11:10 AM

12,794 posts, read 15,055,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
We've been doing is for 12 days, no problem. What am I missing?
OK, that seems to be working perfectly for YOU like the fitting in of a puzzle piece, so great! Surely you've got the common sense to know that it's not working out for many or even most people quite so perfectly.

Not everyone's like you, so here's what you're missing. You tell me how this kind of example scenario below is going to work IF everyone in a household has to be at home working & going to school. OK, most parents have more than just 1 only child so let's say...

- Household has 2 computers, so I'll give them that...(some may just have 1 computer)
- 2 parents: Fortunately BOTH can work at home, but Mon works 8a - 5p & Dad works 6a - 2p
- Child #1 - In elementary school & the hours are usual school hours he has to be online, so about 7:30a - 2:30p
- Child #2 - In middle school & the hours are usual school hours he has to be online, so about 7:30a - 2:30p
- Child #3 - In high school & the hours are usual school hours he has to be online, so about 7:30a - 2:30p

OK, so this shows that at least 2 people only can be on computers at the same time for SEVERAL hours at a time. And I'll be generous & say 1 person has a nice boss in which they can change their hours to evening/night hours.

There's still the problem of how 3 other people are going to be on 2 computers. Remember, no cell phone use because they all need a MUCh bigger screen to do their work/lessons & again no one can walk over to any public place to get wi-fi. There's no guarantee if everyone can get computers/laptops sent home to them to use either.

So, what are you going to do then?

Old 03-23-2020, 11:11 AM

45,566 posts, read 60,834,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Which small town in CO doesn't have access to satellite?
Town or individual?

Let's see, feed the kids or pay for internet this month (I'll also stipulate that there are parents out there who can't get organized enough to pour their kids a bowl of cereal)?

https://www.satelliteinternet.com/re...internet-cost/

Some functionary in my former system sent out a press release the Thursday the Governor closed schools announcing that school would continue on-line during the closure. The Superintendent held a press conference the next day rescinding that (done without her approval) because, as she said, 82,000 of the students receive Free and Reduced Meals (2/3 of the student population) and she couldn't guarantee access.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:13 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,033,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
OK, that seems to be working perfectly for YOU like the fitting in of a puzzle piece, so great! Surely you've got the common sense to know that it's not working out for many or even most people quite so perfectly.

Not everyone's like you, so here's what you're missing. You tell me how this kind of example scenario below is going to work IF everyone in a household has to be at home working & going to school. OK, most parents have more than just 1 only child so let's say...

- Household has 2 computers, so I'll give them that...(some may just have 1 computer)
- 2 parents: Fortunately BOTH can work at home, but Mon works 8a - 5p & Dad works 6a - 2p
- Child #1 - In elementary school & the hours are usual school hours he has to be online, so about 7:30a - 2:30p
- Child #2 - In middle school & the hours are usual school hours he has to be online, so about 7:30a - 2:30p
- Child #3 - In high school & the hours are usual school hours he has to be online, so about 7:30a - 2:30p

OK, so this shows that at least 2 people only can be on computers at the same time for SEVERAL hours at a time. And I'll be generaous & say 1 person has a nice boss in which they can change their hours to evening/night hours.

There's still the problem of how 3 other people are going to be on 2 computers. Remember, no cell phone use because they all need a MUCh bigger screen to do their work/lessons & again no one can walk over to any public place to git wi-fi.

So, what are you going to do?
We have 2 kids in school and this is not how remote schooling works in the biggest school district in the us.

And what does that have to do with teachers not having internet and what we think of them?

What you described is a family not having o e computer per person.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,971,061 times
Quote:
Which town? Do you have a link to the news story?
Maybe this one?

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/...s/3805178.html

No wireless and probably no broadband either.

Again a lot of the Tribal areas have no access.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/d...-have-internet

Quote:
Rural regions like Wilfong’s hometown of Marlinton are not densely populated enough to get telecom companies to invest in building the infrastructure to serve them. Some areas can be labeled as “served” by telecoms even if many homes don’t actually have internet access, as in Sharon Township, Michigan, just a short drive from the technology hub of Ann Arbor. Others are just really far away. These places are so geographically remote that laying cable is physically and financially prohibitive, so towns like Orleans, California, have started their own nonprofit internet services instead.
Quote:
There are alternative options for internet service, such as satellite dish or fixed wireless. But rarely are these services reliable and fast enough for modern use, and they’re often much more expensive than cable.
Quote:
As of June 2016, not a single home in Pocahontas County outside of the ski resort has high-speed internet as defined by the FCC: a minimum of 25 megabits per second download speeds and 3 Mbps upload speeds. In most of America, these speeds are pretty standard. In many major cities, access to regular home internet with speeds as high as 100 Mbps or even 1 gigabit per second is common. In Marlinton, what little access many households do have is unreliable, spotty, or slow. A handful of people have no internet at all.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,971,061 times
Native Americans and Internet Access

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/06/67336...speed-internet

Quote:
Mobile phones often are the main tools to help residents on American Indian land to get online, but many communities do not have reliable cell coverage nearby. On some reservations, Morris adds, residents rely on Internet service at the local library, tribal office or school.

"Folks find a way to access it. Folks are resilient," she says. "But it shouldn't be this way in the U.S. We should have the same access as other folks, and if we don't, it's going to put us down a path of further have's and have not's."

A major obstacle to high-speed Internet access on tribal land is the lack of infrastructure. Morris says it's been a hard sell to convince service providers to erect cell towers or bury fiber-optic cables in sparsely populated communities.

"There's no bang for the buck to go where one house is when you can go somewhere where there's a hundred houses you could service," she says.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:37 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,408,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I mean...I can’t afford a computer, and I’ve also lived in the boonies where internet was, to put it lightly, a pain. So I don’t think any less of a teacher not able to use tech to teach.

Tech can be a pain, anyway. A big pain.

Signed,

A millennial kid who grew up in Silicon Valley with parents in the tech industry

"I can’t afford a computer" How about a Chromebook ?

Lenovo N22 Chromebook - Intel Celeron N3060 1.6GHz, 4GB DDR3, 16GB SSD, 11.6" HD Display, Integrated Graphics, Webcam, WiFi, Chrome OS, 2x USB 3.0, 1 Year Warranty, Grade B Refurbished - PC5-2415-REF
List Price: $299.99 Instant Savings: $230.00 (77%) Price: $69.99 $4.99 Shipping

link to seller

I gave up computers (PC's) years ago in favor of chromebooks, no hard drive to go bad, no software to buy, no patches, no viruses, much more secure ....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-23-2020, 02:48 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,408,945 times
Quote:
Which small town in CO doesn't have access to satellite?
Any town or residence on the north side of a mountain range, or where the view to southwest is blocked by trees. To access satellite, you must have a clear shot to the south/southwest sky where the hughsnet sats are stationed....been there, done that. While hughnet IS internet access, and it will suffice when there is no other choice, it is a poor excuse for good service.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-23-2020, 04:16 PM

8,555 posts, read 4,800,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I can’t afford a computer" How about a Chromebook ?

Lenovo N22 Chromebook - Intel Celeron N3060 1.6GHz, 4GB DDR3, 16GB SSD, 11.6" HD Display, Integrated Graphics, Webcam, WiFi, Chrome OS, 2x USB 3.0, 1 Year Warranty, Grade B Refurbished - PC5-2415-REF
List Price: $299.99 Instant Savings: $230.00 (77%) Price: $69.99 $4.99 Shipping

link to seller

I gave up computers (PC's) years ago in favor of chromebooks, no hard drive to go bad, no software to buy, no patches, no viruses, much more secure ....

Regards
Gemstone1
Never really heard of those. I suppose I could look into that.

I kinda wish I had my last laptop (was stolen). Windows 7 so I could play SimCity 4! That’s about all I do with a computer anyway.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:05 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,666,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Very very few areas in the US can't get satellite internet. Most of them are in Alaska.

So the schools are going to provide satellite internet to all the students? Also it depends on how much open space you have. Weather also plays havoc with satellite. Satellite is internet, its NOT free and no guarantee it will work in any particular locale due to hills, trees, etc. Again pretending every student has available internet at home is indeed just pretend. So if you didnt bring enough for the whole class, then none should have it as part of their schooling.

As for computer, jeesh, computer I am using right now was $20 used on ebay. Some old Asus version NUC-like thing, little black box desktop computer. One of faster C2D processors and 4GB RAM. Replaced some expired windows server software that came on it with my favorite linux though it would run win10 if you are a masochist. Big whoop. The computer itself is not big deal. You can get cheap computer that is functional enough. Wont be latest greatest super gaming computer, but at least be equivalent to low end chromebook or cloudbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching