Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 10:41 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I’m reading this and wondering if you have a legal issue with the school. I believe you mentioned that the cutoff age for HS in your state is 21? I’m thinking they must provide services to your daughter up to that age or even up to the day before her 22nd birthday. It’s certainly worth looking into. I am extremely unimpressed with the online alternative school programs I’ve seen here in Missouri though and they actually make the seniors teach themselves sentence diagramming in English.

Several people have mentioned the possibility of learning disabilities but since you said she repeated sixth grade, I’m wondering if she was already checked for that? Also, you mentioned attention issues and I’m wondering if you have followed up on that? If she’s not breastfeeding, perhaps she could take the meds temporarily just to get thru the test. Or, if you or she is against that route, I’ve found that fish oil helps a lot, B vitamins are good, and I really love a supplement called Sun Theanine...all of these will help with focus.

Also, how are her test taking skills? Is she clear about things like doing the easy ones first? I can’t stress that enough, but after working with special ed students, I realized that some of them just can’t seem to do that but it makes a huge difference. I’m a very strong reader but I always save the long reading passage questions for last because I simply am unable to focus on them until the other types of questions are answered. Answer elimination is really important as well.

One thing I noticed about the GED science part of the test is that it involves a strong familiarity with graphs and she may need extra instruction in that. Things that seem so obvious to us are not always obvious to students.
I think it may be worth the effort to check with our school board and see if the age of limitation is still in effect. Thank you. She has not been the greatest test taker, but not the worse. I'm not judging really, but she has had some teachers that are poor at teaching. Some people by into this "teach yourself" philosophy, but I don't. To me a teacher should be apt to teach; if you can't teach, go back to school and strengthen your skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 10:04 PM

142 posts, read 71,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Unfortunately, no. My daughter is not the best academic student. If she makes a "C" then we usually celebrate. We held her back in her sixth grade her at the suggestion of school officials. I don't think she ever forgave us for that. Math is hard for her. History is boring and she does not have the average attention span for listening to lectures. She is very mature, even for a 20-year old.
Sounds like a winner

Old 07-21-2020, 11:40 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Here in NY many colleges offer an alternative path to a diploma/GED. You complete x number college credits in math, science, etc and you can receive a state diploma while retaining those credits towards your college degree. Maybe that would be something she can look into, especially if she wishes to pursue high ed in your state?

Old 07-22-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Here in NY many colleges offer an alternative path to a diploma/GED. You complete x number college credits in math, science, etc and you can receive a state diploma while retaining those credits towards your college degree. Maybe that would be something she can look into, especially if she wishes to pursue high ed in your state?
How do you do college credit courses when you have not obtained a high school level education?

Old 01-12-2021, 02:17 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Does she need a GED to attend beauty school? Why not just enroll at the local esthetician school....sounds like it might be the right path for her.
She needs to get a GED. It will come back to haunt her someday.
One of our contracting companies we use at work--a woman was really good at what she was doing. She was going to be promoted to Manager--it was not possible. She had not graduated high school, nor did she have her GED. One of the requirements was high school diploma. She was 45 years old.

Quote:
...did not want to hear all the gossip and name calling that would affect her mentally and emotionally.
Hindsight, that would have been easier in the long run.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:47 PM

Unfortunately, this is not resolved. Yes, time has passed since I last posted. She has not completed her GED. She is living on her own. Nice apartment. She is an assistant manager. I'm afraid her past will catch up with her. She is fearful of taking the test.

Old 01-17-2021, 10:08 AM

491 posts, read 324,244 times
Sometimes success is delayed but not denied.

Last edited by waffleiron1968; 01-17-2021 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-17-2021, 10:42 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
I think it may be worth the effort to check with our school board and see if the age of limitation is still in effect. Thank you. She has not been the greatest test taker, but not the worse. I'm not judging really, but she has had some teachers that are poor at teaching. Some people by into this "teach yourself" philosophy, but I don't. To me a teacher should be apt to teach; if you can't teach, go back to school and strengthen your skills.
Teachers are to blame for this train wreck??? A pregnant high school dropout who can't pass the GED.

Clearly, SOMEONE is at fault, but it's not the teachers.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:12 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
My 20 year old daughter did not graduate high school ...
...do the GED as an adult, and graduate in three to six months.

Have any of you tried to complete those modules? They are hard as hell!
Math modules are reading comprehension stories and articles. The vocabulary is 2nd year college material...
She has not completed the first module.

Any advice on how to help my daughter ...
Start by determining just what grade level she is capable of doing and well.
Can she do B work or better at grade 6 level? At grade 9 level?

Once you've determined what work is needed (reading, vocabulary, grammar, arithmetic, etc)...
then start the hard work and tutoring needed to rise from that presumably lower grade level.
It could take a while to get through enough material to earn a B on the GED.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Teachers are to blame for this train wreck??? A pregnant high school dropout who can't pass the GED.

Clearly, SOMEONE is at fault, but it's not the teachers.
Well, Futuremauian, case closed. I guess there is nothing else to discuss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching