Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 06:05 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,541,167 times

Advertisements

My 20 year old daughter did not graduate high school due to a teenage pregnancy. Her options were to come to school pregnant and finish her senior year, or she could quit school, do the GED as an adult, and graduate in three to six months. I wanted her to tough it out and finish as a student, but she is prideful and did not want to hear all the gossip and name calling that would affect her mentally and emotionally.

Have any of you tried to complete those modules? They are hard as hell! Math modules are reading comprehension stories and articles. The vocabulary is 2nd year college material, and they are timed.She has not completed the first module.

There are several community colleges in the area and they are of no help. They tell her she can work on them at the college, but the director and her staff don't help, don't assist in reading comprehension, and she says, they are just in there and offer no help.

Any advice on how to help my daughter complete the program would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 06:10 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,265,575 times
I thought there was a night school to prepare for the test? In Richmond I think it's offered through the city.

Last edited by Va83; 05-25-2020 at 07:25 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 07:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 21 days ago)

35,692 posts, read 18,057,688 times
Maybe an online high school diploma? I've heard from a friend whose son was trying to get a GED that it seemed harder than the public generally thinks. I think most people believe a GED is second rate to a public high school education, easier, but she didn't think that and she's a teacher.

In general, was she a successful student in school prior to becoming pregnant?

https://thebestschools.org/rankings/...loma-programs/

Old 05-25-2020, 07:33 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,595,643 times
There are many free videos on Youtube with GED math instruction at all levels. There are also practice tests. It takes going step by step and gradually learning it all, just like in HS. She may need a tutor if she gets stuck at some point.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:44 AM

20,129 posts, read 16,202,122 times
This is from the Florida Literacy Council. They have gone through the GED and picked out the most relevant Khan Academy math videos. Khan Academy is a free resource that depends on donations and is used by a lot of public GED programs. They do a pretty good job of explaining concepts.

Florida Literacy math videos page

This is the check list they use to keep track of the videos: Florida Literacy tracking sheet

What state are you in? Knowing that would help. But, yes, it would have been easier had she enrolled in an alternative program while still of school age.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Maybe an online high school diploma? I've heard from a friend whose son was trying to get a GED that it seemed harder than the public generally thinks. I think most people believe a GED is second rate to a public high school education, easier, but she didn't think that and she's a teacher.

In general, was she a successful student in school prior to becoming pregnant?

https://thebestschools.org/rankings/...loma-programs/
Unfortunately, no. My daughter is not the best academic student. If she makes a "C" then we usually celebrate. We held her back in her sixth grade her at the suggestion of school officials. I don't think she ever forgave us for that. Math is hard for her. History is boring and she does not have the average attention span for listening to lectures. She is very mature, even for a 20-year old.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
There are many free videos on Youtube with GED math instruction at all levels. There are also practice tests. It takes going step by step and gradually learning it all, just like in HS. She may need a tutor if she gets stuck at some point.
I know the ladies at one of the community colleges she went to. My daughter said it is a lab environment and they offer no tutoring at all. When I called the school out on it, they told me that students report there and do the modules on their own. If they need help, they can ask us questions. Well, to me, that's not tutoring. I do think we need to hire a private one. It's been two years, since she should have graduated. I'm hopeful she will be open to my suggestions.

Old 05-26-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This is from the Florida Literacy Council. They have gone through the GED and picked out the most relevant Khan Academy math videos. Khan Academy is a free resource that depends on donations and is used by a lot of public GED programs. They do a pretty good job of explaining concepts.

Florida Literacy math videos page

This is the check list they use to keep track of the videos: Florida Literacy tracking sheet

What state are you in? Knowing that would help. But, yes, it would have been easier had she enrolled in an alternative program while still of school age.
We are in North Carolina. I will look over these links. Thank you so much!

Old 05-26-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I thought there was a night school to prepare for the test? In Richmond I think it's offered through the city.
I don't know of any in my area.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:00 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,849,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Unfortunately, no. My daughter is not the best academic student. If she makes a "C" then we usually celebrate. We held her back in her sixth grade her at the suggestion of school officials. I don't think she ever forgave us for that. Math is hard for her. History is boring and she does not have the average attention span for listening to lectures. She is very mature, even for a 20-year old.
Doesn't sound like it. If she can't focus enough to pass high school-level classes why are you trying to get her a GED? Is this for her or is it actually for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching