Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 08:48 AM

50,942 posts, read 24,441,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Wow. Just wow. Not about administration here. OP is seeking advice for her career. Wrong thread for this type of post.

Too many school administrators seem to care so little for teachers. It's a shame.
Too many teachers seem to care so little for administrators. It's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 10:34 AM

315 posts, read 257,164 times
OP can you clarify how many years you've been teaching? The forced covering of classes suggests you are new. When you have more sonority the less and less things like this will happen.

How strong is the Union in your district? Our local did a PHENOMENAL job bargaining work conditions for us during this time. In fact, we are not allowed to cover other classes during our plan, they didn't want to risk us getting burnt out. If there isn't enough subs to cover absent teachers, the administrators have to figure it out. Love it!

Old 05-07-2021, 11:41 AM

45,514 posts, read 60,734,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSun25 View Post
OP can you clarify how many years you've been teaching? The forced covering of classes suggests you are new. When you have more sonority the less and less things like this will happen.

How strong is the Union in your district? Our local did a PHENOMENAL job bargaining work conditions for us during this time. In fact, we are not allowed to cover other classes during our plan, they didn't want to risk us getting burnt out. If there isn't enough subs to cover absent teachers, the administrators have to figure it out. Love it!

That wasn't the case in my former system, more senior people (such as myself) got called to cover classes, as well as "additional duties as assigned", much, much more than younger teachers. I think it was mostly likely because we would actually do them.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:49 AM

45,514 posts, read 60,734,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Too many teachers seem to care so little for administrators. It's a shame.
It's hard to care about them when they roll in at Noon every day, spend more time on their fantasy sports leagues than they do in the hallways, harass the young women teachers and put them on intense supervision if they won't go out with them, go on vendettas against teachers because of their shoes, insist that every teacher teach at least two classes out of field, call in to say they're "running a little late" and then don't show up for three weeks, hide so a teachers have to cover the lunches on their Planning period, refuse to support their staff in any disagreement with a parent, answer their cell phone or even make calls during an observation and on and on. Need I add more? Although you do know what system this is.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's hard to care about them when they roll in at Noon every day, spend more time on their fantasy sports leagues than they do in the hallways, harass the young women teachers and put them on intense supervision if they won't go out with them, go on vendettas against teachers because of their shoes, insist that every teacher teach at least two classes out of field, call in to say they're "running a little late" and then don't show up for three weeks, hide so a teachers have to cover the lunches on their Planning period, refuse to support their staff in any disagreement with a parent, answer their cell phone or even make calls during an observation and on and on. Need I add more? Although you do know what system this is.
Yes, sometimes I rolled in at noon...after being at morning meetings at or because of central office. Rarely my choice.

Unless I was in the middle of a conference, I was in the hall and walked most of the building during every class change.

Sexual harassment is obnoxious. We only had one case I recall during my principalship, and it was a teacher accusing other teachers, with only one out of three of her accusations somewhat reasonable, although provoked.

If we were having a bad sub day, I would cover classes, if possible. I thought it was kinda fun.

No teachers should teach out of field. Makes no sense. I know because I had to do it once when I was handed an American history class instead of science.

In my school, the people who "covered" the cafeteria were administrators (including the principal) and guidance counselors. I never asked teachers to cover cafeteria. They have enough to do.

To be honest, who was right -- teacher or parent -- I found it to be about 50-50. I supported who had the right position, even when it made the school look bad. And more than once I saved the career of several teachers or worked to keep them out of lawsuits.

Early in my teaching career I had a really lousy principal. That was confirmed when he ended up on the wrong end of things on "60 Minutes"!

No question. There are lousy principals out there. And some lousy teachers, too. Like the teacher at our school who was so high on drugs he walked out of his classroom, walked across the street, and urinated in the flowerbed of the townhouse complex.

But here's my point in all this: As a principal, it wasn't my job to love teachers, nor was it their job to love me. I had a job to do, based on a signed contract, and I did it. They had a job to do, based on a signed contract. I guess I must have done okay, because after I retired two of the teachers who had pretty much hated me started a petition for me to come out of retirement and replace the "new" principal. Sometimes you don't know how good you've got it until its gone.

Old 05-13-2021, 02:36 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,233,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery1995 View Post
Hi all! I am a teacher and am struggling with my job. I love my job. My school is departmentalized, meaning i only teach Science and SS. And i love that. I love those subjects and think its great that we can focus on them more than most schools. I dont feel appreciated by my admin team, and am seriously considering leaving. Due to COVID this year, my classroom was taken to be used as a random room and i was made into a substitue. I would come to work ready to teach my students and then i would be told by admin that i needed to cover another class due to teacher being absent, and i would have to last minute cancel MY class to cover another teacher. This year has shown me that i have not been respected and i get pulled to do little things. I have been unable to teach my students fully or build a connection with them and many of them are suffering. Also, they wont allow my students to come back in person because we have "no room" because my classroom is used for testing and COVID testing. There is currently another school hiring that is self contained but a good school with a magnet program. Although i love teaching only science/ss, i am not happy at my current school. Im stuck between wanting to stay and wanting to apply at the other school
I would advise first go apply for a different School you don't have to take the job but see what they're offering and if it's something you want to do.

My partner is a teacher and he just started 2 years ago but he's had a rough time through the pandemic he's not being fulfilled, he isn't able to deal directly with the students which is what he loves to do. So he spent a while very depressed. I've had to give him a few pep talks it's not going to be this way forever hopefully, just stick with it when we're on the other side of the hysteria from the endemic coronavirus then things will get back to normal.

That would be my advice to you. Hold on at least to the career there's no reason you have to work at one particular school forever depending on how long you've been with them that will change things.

But I would tell you don't be afraid to see what else is out there even if it's just to look.

Old 05-16-2021, 02:37 PM

472 posts, read 348,874 times
[quote=Lillie767;60830283]Get over yourself. This past year was a major challenge for everyone. No teacher is happy with this past year. Neither are the students or their parents.

If you don't like it, get another job. STEM teachers should be in demand if well accredited and certified.[/QUOTE

With all do respect, I think the poster just wants to be heard. Sometimes we need a place to lay out our frustrations. Would you like if this happened to you? We don't know all the details of what caused this and yes, it's been a hard year for everyone. But still from what the poster is saying, it doesn't sound good.

Last edited by Educator1982; 05-16-2021 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-16-2021, 02:46 PM

472 posts, read 348,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery1995 View Post
Hi all! I am a teacher and am struggling with my job. I love my job. My school is departmentalized, meaning i only teach Science and SS. And i love that. I love those subjects and think its great that we can focus on them more than most schools. I dont feel appreciated by my admin team, and am seriously considering leaving. Due to COVID this year, my classroom was taken to be used as a random room and i was made into a substitue. I would come to work ready to teach my students and then i would be told by admin that i needed to cover another class due to teacher being absent, and i would have to last minute cancel MY class to cover another teacher. This year has shown me that i have not been respected and i get pulled to do little things. I have been unable to teach my students fully or build a connection with them and many of them are suffering. Also, they wont allow my students to come back in person because we have "no room" because my classroom is used for testing and COVID testing. There is currently another school hiring that is self contained but a good school with a magnet program. Although i love teaching only science/ss, i am not happy at my current school. Im stuck between wanting to stay and wanting to apply at the other school
Mystery1995, I am sorry you have to deal with this. Maybe we can know a few details.

1. How is the attitude when you are asked, professional non emotional, or do they seem angry?

2. Has the attitude of admin changed over the time you have been there?

3. If the attitude has changed, did a certain circumstance or issue happen? In other words, did something happen and you felt disrespected then after an incident?

3. Has any other teacher(s) complained about this?

4. Cancelling your class, when you cancel your class, where do your students go? Are they mixed in your class you are coving for?

5. This is frustrating, I have had to cover other teachers class on my PREP period due to a teacher being out and no sub to come in. We have had a terrible time trying to find substitutes in our district. However, in the end we all support each other as teachers.

Thanks for your time and hope things get better.

Old 05-20-2021, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 3,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Mystery1995, I am sorry you have to deal with this. Maybe we can know a few details.

1. How is the attitude when you are asked, professional non emotional, or do they seem angry?

2. Has the attitude of admin changed over the time you have been there?

3. If the attitude has changed, did a certain circumstance or issue happen? In other words, did something happen and you felt disrespected then after an incident?

3. Has any other teacher(s) complained about this?

4. Cancelling your class, when you cancel your class, where do your students go? Are they mixed in your class you are coving for?

5. This is frustrating, I have had to cover other teachers class on my PREP period due to a teacher being out and no sub to come in. We have had a terrible time trying to find substitutes in our district. However, in the end we all support each other as teachers.

Thanks for your time and hope things get better.
Hi!!
Sorry i just saw all the new replies!

I was never asked, just told. I would come in and get a call 5 minutes before my classes were supposed to start or i would get a text saying "We need you to cover a class in 5th grade" and they would hang up.
I wouldnt mind it if it was only during my prep period, but it would be the whole day. My students would be mixed in with my co-teacher and the students who were virtual were just told class was canceled.
Admin has never once reached out regarding this issue. Then when i would be allowed to teach in the classroom, they would have to cancel my classes due to them having to COVID test the staff in my classroom.
Also, my appraiser never made it to any of my observations, she would just ask me to send a summary of my lesson and that was it. Never got true feedback back.

No other teacher has complained since no other teacher has to do this, only me.

I did apply to other jobs and have received two job offers. Admin did reach out after finding out that i was looking at other schools and have since tried talking to me about how things will be different next year but at this point, i think im ready to go elsewhere. Im not asking for admin approval by any means, i am asking for support. Support for the students. Support so my students can receive the best education possible, and instead they are getting cheated out of that because i have to cancel classes all the time.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:42 AM

Something certainly doesn't seem right.

The first two jobs I got when I started teaching ended after just a year due to budget cuts and staff cutbacks. Many of us have experienced that. Then I found a school system that seemed a good match...for 13 years. And luckily, 3 principals who were good to excellent. And then, suddenly a brutal tax initiative went into effect (called Tax Relief In Maryland -- TRIM), and trim they did. We went from 5 classes a day to 6, 25 kids in a class to 40. Supplies dried up to the point I got 1 ream of Xerox paper per quarter. Fortunately, at the same time the deterioration was setting in, I was taking a professional development course in a nearby county (in Virginia) where teachers were excited about the school system. I interviewed and was hired on the spot for the following year.

If you're working under really bad conditions, and your expectations are reasonable (in other words, it's not just you)...you need to move. It sounds as if there are better schools and certainly better administrators. But to be honest, after you've moved and a year has passed by, if you still feel the same about teaching conditions at the "old" school, I'd write a letter to the superintendent -- a polite and professional letter -- and tell him/her why you left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching