Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 AM

5 posts, read 3,766 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am a teacher and am struggling with my job. I love my job. My school is departmentalized, meaning i only teach Science and SS. And i love that. I love those subjects and think its great that we can focus on them more than most schools. I dont feel appreciated by my admin team, and am seriously considering leaving. Due to COVID this year, my classroom was taken to be used as a random room and i was made into a substitue. I would come to work ready to teach my students and then i would be told by admin that i needed to cover another class due to teacher being absent, and i would have to last minute cancel MY class to cover another teacher. This year has shown me that i have not been respected and i get pulled to do little things. I have been unable to teach my students fully or build a connection with them and many of them are suffering. Also, they wont allow my students to come back in person because we have "no room" because my classroom is used for testing and COVID testing. There is currently another school hiring that is self contained but a good school with a magnet program. Although i love teaching only science/ss, i am not happy at my current school. Im stuck between wanting to stay and wanting to apply at the other school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 01:32 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Get over yourself. This past year was a major challenge for everyone. No teacher is happy with this past year. Neither are the students or their parents.

If you don't like it, get another job. STEM teachers should be in demand if well accredited and certified.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:04 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
You are in it for the wrong reasons if you are seeking appreciation from your admin. I don't teach for them. I seek a good evaluation so I can keep my job, but don't look for appreciation. We are all in a crappy position due to COVID and admin has had to make tough choices.

If I were you I'd apply for the other position just get some experience at different schools and there are definitely teaching situations that are better than others. Go for a position that satisfies you, but if you are in desperate need of appreciation by administrators then prepare to be disappointed.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:10 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I don't understand, OP. The admin takes you away from your science classes to fill in for other teachers? Have they cancelled science for this semester? If not, how are the kids supposed to keep up and learn anything, if their teacher isn't available?

There's something missing from this picture. Could you explain further? It's not making sense to me.

In any case, go ahead and apply to the other school. You can decide later, if they offer you the job, whether you want to take it or not.

What would you be teaching in that school? You didn't mention that.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:27 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't understand, OP. The admin takes you away from your science classes to fill in for other teachers? Have they cancelled science for this semester? If not, how are the kids supposed to keep up and learn anything, if their teacher isn't available?

There's something missing from this picture. Could you explain further? It's not making sense to me.

In any case, go ahead and apply to the other school. You can decide later, if they offer you the job, whether you want to take it or not.

What would you be teaching in that school? You didn't mention that.
If I had to guess they are going hybrid and the school decided English and Math would get priority for in-person time. Quite a few elementary schools have made that choice, and honestly, it’s not a bad call. This means since they are departmentalized and she teaches neither Math nor English, she is most likely being treated like a non-core subject teacher.

My only advice to the OP is that this is a weird year and you should take that into account when making judgements about the administration - just like hopefully the administration is doing with all their newer teachers.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If I had to guess they are going hybrid and the school decided English and Math would get priority for in-person time. Quite a few elementary schools have made that choice, and honestly, it’s not a bad call. This means since they are departmentalized and she teaches neither Math nor English, she is most likely being treated like a non-core subject teacher.

My only advice to the OP is that this is a weird year and you should take that into account when making judgements about the administration - just like hopefully the administration is doing with all their newer teachers.
Thank you. So the OP is expected to work as a sub, but also produce class lessons on video, for online learning in her field? (Science, Soc. Studies) She now has a double load?

In any case, a good science teacher should be worth her weight in gold, so I don't imagine she'd have a hard time finding a job. But if her situation is simply due to Covid and a fairly standard way of dealing with handling in-person study limitations, then it may merely be her pecerption, that she's being slighted....?

By fall, everyone who wants to be vaxxed will be, so things should be back to normal by then. if she loves her job, it might be worthwhile to stick around and see how things pan out as the school situation normalizes at her current school.

You'd think that lab sciences would be given priority to teach in-person. I don't see how that could be done as a lab credit by just watching a video.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:25 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you. So the OP is expected to work as a sub, but also produce class lessons on video, for online learning in her field? (Science, Soc. Studies) She now has a double load?

In any case, a good science teacher should be worth her weight in gold, so I don't imagine she'd have a hard time finding a job. But if her situation is simply due to Covid and a fairly standard way of dealing with handling in-person study limitations, then it may merely be her pecerption, that she's being slighted....?

By fall, everyone who wants to be vaxxed will be, so things should be back to normal by then. if she loves her job, it might be worthwhile to stick around and see how things pan out as the school situation normalizes at her current school.

You'd think that lab sciences would be given priority to teach in-person. I don't see how that could be done as a lab credit by just watching a video.
She’s probably a regular certified elementary teacher who ordinarily would share students with a second teacher and happened to end up with SS/Science or she is part of the “specials” rotation during the regular classroom teachers’ planning. Many elementary schools just aren’t doing those classes, especially for the little ones, as they simply can’t be focused on a computer screen for an entire school day. One district around here only has K-2 be online 9-11:45.

Lab hours are not required in any state I know of prior to high school.

Honestly, this is all conjecture on my part based on what I’ve seen at my student teachers’ placements. I suspect it’s the specials’ situation because she discussed her class being cancelled.

Reality is, if the OP isn’t tenured she might want to consider job hunting because returning the next year to that particular school is not just her choice and, if so, her feeling that she hasn’t been respected is something to be concerned about.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:54 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,037 times
Were it me, I would hesitate before jumping ship just based on this last year. Is this your first year at this school? Did you have a good experience in previous years? As I'm sure you're aware, due to COVID, no one had a good experience this past year--not teachers, not parents, not students, not administrators. Everyone was trying to select the least awful options from all bad choices (zoom learning--ugh! kids can't focus on computers for long and we have to cut classes--ugh! older kids have to be isolated in pods and stare at screens all day--ugh! No subs want to work on campus because who wants covid so teachers get shuffled--ugh!)

So I might cut the administration a break if you are only basing your dissatisfaction on this year. Everyone wants things to get back to normal as soon as it's safe and I'll bet that as more are vaccinated, more kids are back in in-person school, and covid numbers come down, your teaching day will look much more normal.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:26 AM

5 posts, read 3,766 times
Hi sorry, so i am the science/ss/ ESL teacher for all of my grade level. Since my school is an early exit school, they are expected to know english by 3rd grade. I teach virtual and live at the same time but have to cover for other teachers when they are not here. Which means i have to cancel my classes atleast 2-3 times a week, which in turn, my students dont get to learn as much because i am having to be a sub for my coworkers.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:51 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery1995 View Post
Hi sorry, so i am the science/ss/ ESL teacher for all of my grade level. Since my school is an early exit school, they are expected to know english by 3rd grade. I teach virtual and live at the same time but have to cover for other teachers when they are not here. Which means i have to cancel my classes atleast 2-3 times a week, which in turn, my students dont get to learn as much because i am having to be a sub for my coworkers.
I thought I'd seen every manner of Administrator incompetence and then someone adds another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching