Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 01:59 PM

2,367 posts, read 908,460 times

Advertisements

Tell her this: the fact that these teachers stay in spite of all the problems should tell you there is something quite special and worthwhile here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 03:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,377 times
OP, with all kindness intended, you need to treat this young woman like the adult that she is. If she feels there is an issue, she needs to speak to her principal, not have you tattle in an anonymous report like she's a kindergartener.

As a teacher, I rarely went into the staff room except to grab my mail. I had no time. I ate lunch at my desk, where I wrote my lesson plans and graded. Teaching is a hard, stressful profession that does not pay well. Those who stick it out do so because they truly love teaching, love their students and are willing to put up with the negatives. Venting to colleagues is a way to relieve stress and share in the sense that you are not alone in feeling frustrated at times, just like in every other profession out there. This is the exact opposite of "nonconstructive negativity" as you called it.

Old 10-09-2021, 05:55 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
OP, with all kindness intended, you need to treat this young woman like the adult that she is. If she feels there is an issue, she needs to speak to her principal, not have you tattle in an anonymous report like she's a kindergartener.

As a teacher, I rarely went into the staff room except to grab my mail. I had no time. I ate lunch at my desk, where I wrote my lesson plans and graded. Teaching is a hard, stressful profession that does not pay well. Those who stick it out do so because they truly love teaching, love their students and are willing to put up with the negatives. Venting to colleagues is a way to relieve stress and share in the sense that you are not alone in feeling frustrated at times, just like in every other profession out there. This is the exact opposite of "nonconstructive negativity" as you called it.

That really didn't come across as particularly kind or empathetic, but thanks for your input just the same. I am a retired person in my mid-sixties, a mother of four adults. To me she is a kid. I want to say helpful things to her, try to give her guidance if she seems to want it. I want to help.

No, I most likely won't call anyone. But you have to admit, it's a shame if teachers are discouraging her...directly to her, not in the break room. To her, or any other student. Aren't we running out of teachers lately? It's not a secret.

Yes, one needs to blow off steam in the break room. She blows off steam to ME.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:00 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
The majority of people who complete student teaching leave the profession in a few years. That is in normal times. Her concerns are completely valid, many bright young people can't actually hack it in teaching. Many others can't maintain the lifestyle they were raised with and leave seeking higher pay.

Of course many of us DO actually enjoy teaching, DO consider the lifestyle to be livable, and CAN handle the many negatives that come with the career.

She is going to have to figure out what camp she is in on her own. I don't really think it's your place to get involved regardless of what you think kids need or what you think you know about education.

Well, that wasn't very kind or helpful, either. But thanks for posting.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:10 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Well, that wasn't very kind or helpful, either. But thanks for posting.
I'm sorry if the tone came across as harsh but I wanted first and foremost to be direct and to be honest. It seems like you are a kind person who genuinely wants to help but I also think you are a bit misguided.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
The majority of people who complete student teaching leave the profession in a few years. That is in normal times. Her concerns are completely valid, many bright young people can't actually hack it in teaching. Many others can't maintain the lifestyle they were raised with and leave seeking higher pay.
Any statistics to back up that statement? I don't think the majority of people who actually start their first teaching job leave the teaching profession. What has taken place in PA is many who go to college in PA, leave the state to get their first teaching job, and then return to PA to continue teaching. This has been true for at least 50 years. Most seem to go to either Maryland, Florida, and Virginia for their first job.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:49 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
How did you go about making that connection?
I agree. The thread has virtually nothing to do with the teacher's union.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:53 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if the tone came across as harsh but I wanted first and foremost to be direct and to be honest. It seems like you are a kind person who genuinely wants to help but I also think you are a bit misguided.
I agree, and I'm afraid that I'm going to be less kind: She's an adult professional. Or isn't she? It's okay to be a sounding board. But a professional will deal with the issues at a professional level. That's something that's learned over time.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:00 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
I worked for a while in the schools, too, as an aide.
When?

Old 10-09-2021, 09:36 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Up to half our teachers in Australia quit the profession in the first five years. I imagine it is a world wide issue. The starting salary here is actually higher than in many other professions but it levels out and drops behind later.

But then our cousin in Italy left her profession as a lawyer to retrain as a primary teacher.

As a retired teacher I am very thankful that I am not teaching now. Our kids here have had about twenty weeks total remote learning and it has been challenging on some many levels. Not that surprising that teachers may well be burnt out and whinge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching