Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 10:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Up to half our teachers in Australia quit the profession in the first five years. I imagine it is a world wide issue. The starting salary here is actually higher than in many other professions but it levels out and drops behind later.

Probably higher % in USA, as we lose 50% of STEM (including rigorous science / math majors). I'm degreed in both EDU and Engineering (x2) (and business)

Ironically, most of our STEM who leave their profession go to Business (marketing is $$$$ and perks).
Several retiree / outsourced Masters and Phd engineering comworkers (~20% of 30,000) went into EDU (usually HS or higher edu) They definately did not need the money (good thing, they had all BTDT and wanted the time off and interation of teaching profession. Many were empty nesters, career #1 was done.)

Most started their own businesses and soon realized there was not an educated pool of potential employees graduating from HS or college in USA. So.. if you need employees, you get them green cards, or shift your employee needs to a different country (who has an education system!). It is far more reliable and easy start a foreign office, than to hire, train, and then retain USA employees (and pay related expenditures).

I have funded the failed USA EDU system by $50k / yr in various property assessments for over 30 yrs.

Plenty of complainers in that system, many capable and committed staff. Tons of waste and poor decisions.

As soon as young / new teacher is able, they should consider DoDea or foriegn employment in the private sector. (or start a side business for income and investment.)

Not easy to get a position, but the students, staff, parents and travel experiences are worth the effort.
https://www.dodea.edu/index.cfm

BTW:... it is very unlikely this new teacher friend of OP is equiped to consider a professional (yet), nor are those dissuading her. (here and at her job).

Not at all surprising, I deaal with them daily for many, many years (and their bosses / administrators too)
We see how wonderfully they utilized the Golden Covid opportunity to up their game, equip and incentize their students, and meet the challenge!

Sealed their fate. (Students, teacher, staff, USA schools / EDU)
They missed the grade.

Thus if a private entity they would be looking for work (a new career).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-09-2021 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 10:51 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Any statistics to back up that statement? I don't think the majority of people who actually start their first teaching job leave the teaching profession. What has taken place in PA is many who go to college in PA, leave the state to get their first teaching job, and then return to PA to continue teaching. This has been true for at least 50 years. Most seem to go to either Maryland, Florida, and Virginia for their first job.
Not quite a majority but 44% of teachers leave in the first 5 years. https://www.edweek.org/leadership/5-...-force/2018/10

Old 10-10-2021, 10:53 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree, and I'm afraid that I'm going to be less kind: She's an adult professional. Or isn't she? It's okay to be a sounding board. But a professional will deal with the issues at a professional level. That's something that's learned over time.
I agree. I've been on my fair share of hiring committees and we would never hire someone who has their elder friend handle their personal business for them.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:39 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
When?

About 24 years ago and was involved with the schools a lot for many years after. People haven't changed that much, and the same comments were said back then as they are now.
There is a much more urgent need of qualified teachers now, though.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:40 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,499,377 times
Another thing, OP, is that in addition to it not being your place to speak on this adult professional's behalf, you're really attacking the wrong people here.

She's saying teachers are venting because they are stressed, overworked, and underpaid. And you are worried discovering that in fact yes, teachers are stressed, overworked and underpaid is going to make her want to leave the profession as (thank you history fan for the numbers) 44% of teachers do in their first 5 years.

So your solution, rather than go to the source of what causes teachers to be stressed, overworked and underpaid, and try to fix that, is to attack the stressed out, overworked and underpaid teachers, and try to anonymously get them in trouble for venting?

Why not instead call up every person who you vote for, from school board to senate, and express how we need more money to go to schools so we can reduce classroom size? Why not tell them you want teacher salaries raised? How many times have you gone to speak to the school board in support of teachers? How often do you volunteer at your local school? How many times have you donated school supplies to your local school? If you're zoned to a nice school, how many times have you gone to the Amazon wishlist of the poorest school in your area and bought things for those teachers' classrooms?

You blaming teachers for venting because this young lady is stressed about the reality she realizes she's facing will do nothing to improve the situation for her when she steps into her own classroom next fall.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
I agree. I've been on my fair share of hiring committees and we would never hire someone who has their elder friend handle their personal business for them.

Lol, could you please get off this? I am not about to handle her personal business for her.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
Another thing, OP, is that in addition to it not being your place to speak on this adult professional's behalf, you're really attacking the wrong people here.

She's saying teachers are venting because they are stressed, overworked, and underpaid. And you are worried discovering that in fact yes, teachers are stressed, overworked and underpaid is going to make her want to leave the profession as (thank you history fan for the numbers) 44% of teachers do in their first 5 years.

So your solution, rather than go to the source of what causes teachers to be stressed, overworked and underpaid, and try to fix that, is to attack the stressed out, overworked and underpaid teachers, and try to anonymously get them in trouble for venting?

Why not instead call up every person who you vote for, from school board to senate, and express how we need more money to go to schools so we can reduce classroom size? Why not tell them you want teacher salaries raised? How many times have you gone to speak to the school board in support of teachers? How often do you volunteer at your local school? How many times have you donated school supplies to your local school? If you're zoned to a nice school, how many times have you gone to the Amazon wishlist of the poorest school in your area and bought things for those teachers' classrooms?

You blaming teachers for venting because this young lady is stressed about the reality she realizes she's facing will do nothing to improve the situation for her when she steps into her own classroom next fall.

Yes, I have supported the schools A LOT! The teachers, too, some of whom are friends who no doubt wouldn't be so hostile because they know me.
Yow. I am not attacking anybody. I just want to reassure this kid that teaching isn't a lost cause for her.
It's about her, not you, and not even the teachers at her school (who are a diverse group of normal human beings with normal feelings). I want to encourage her not to reject teaching as a career field before she really gives it a good try.
You know, I also worked for quite a while as a psychiatric nurse and counselor. Everyone needs help sometimes. I like to help, it come easy to me.
Please try not to over-react.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:56 AM

And now I wish to end this, as (I didn't plan to add this, but it's making me tired and upset now) I am recovering from recent spine surgery and trying to hold it together for myself while attempting to help someone else. I appreciate the comments, thank you.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Not quite a majority but 44% of teachers leave in the first 5 years. https://www.edweek.org/leadership/5-...-force/2018/10
44% is not a majority, so your statement should read that a minority of teachers leave in their first five years of teaching.

I don't have stats, but it appears that for most districts in PA, most teachers end up retiring from the job they were originally hired.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:29 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
44% is not a majority, so your statement should read that a minority of teachers leave in their first five years of teaching.

I don't have stats, but it appears that for most districts in PA, most teachers end up retiring from the job they were originally hired.
Penn State article about program to retain new teachers:

https://news.psu.edu/story/651187/20...cher-retention

PDE research (which was told to me a couple years ago by a "high ranking official in the PA Department of Education" whom I know:

https://www.education.pa.gov/Documen...ch%20Brief.pdf

PA is close to 50%.

There were years at my middle/upper middle class high school in Maryland that we lost every single first year teacher that started the year. Sometimes they left the second day, sometimes at the quarter/semester, sometimes at the end of the year. It was more common than not to lose a majority of them anyway. It became a sport to predict how long each new teacher would last. I usually won the pool.

When I transferred to the school the "unwritten rule" was that no one went there with less than five years experience (so everyone was already tenured) and a first year teacher hadn't been hired there in anyone's memory (we had some teachers who'd been there since the end of WW II when it was the Black high school for that side of the County).

Last edited by North Beach Person; 10-10-2021 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching