Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 03:45 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt doubt this car was lifted up over 10,000 feet and hit obstacles in the twist along the way

https://twitter.com/willnunley/statu...35411941576714

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 05:29 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
Hard to believe the amount of damage.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:08 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Just wow!

I wish I was healthy enough to take a tractor and some generators over and help out those folks but even Arkansas is a LONG way from here and I doubt I could make that sort of trip these days.

Here on the Texas South Plains, we know how tornadoes can affect lives.
Wanting to help is a noble thing to do, but they are asking people wanting to come to the area, to stay away for now. They are saying the situation is way too dangerous at the moment. And to let EMS workers and National Guards to get in there first to try secure and assess the area.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:12 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
That candle factory in Mayfield, KY...OMG....
Don't forget, the St Louis area was hit hard too...Edwardsville, IL, that Amazon DC destroyed...and those DCs of their's are huge. This was really awful.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:08 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
https://twitter.com/wxmann/status/1469721390546763779

Old 12-12-2021, 03:29 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Wanting to help is a noble thing to do, but they are asking people wanting to come to the area, to stay away for now. They are saying the situation is way too dangerous at the moment. And to let EMS workers and National Guards to get in there first to try secure and assess the area.
Yes. I've heard that and fully understand why they they don't want outside strangers coming in right now. At any rate, I'm no longer able to render that sort of help due to my age and health.

I was able to take a tractor and equipment to SE Texas after the Hurricane Rita but I was only about 700 miles away and living in the same state back then. Unfortunately, although I now have much better equipment to help with, even those days are ended for me.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:52 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Yes. I've heard that and fully understand why they they don't want outside strangers coming in right now. At any rate, I'm no longer able to render that sort of help due to my age and health.

I was able to take a tractor and equipment to SE Texas after the Hurricane Rita but I was only about 700 miles away and living in the same state back then. Unfortunately, although I now have much better equipment to help with, even those days are ended for me.
I understand, at this point you have to take care of yourself now. You can find other ways to help out, like sending a donation to the Red cross, or perhaps churches in your local community will be sending financial help, or items like clothing and water.

Old 12-13-2021, 04:07 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,173,762 times
All very unfortunate news given the continued climate changes brought on by global warming.

These type of storms will only become more frequent and probably more dangerous.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:41 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
Why didn't they close the factory down when the watches were issued...for several days the threat of a severe outbreak were being forecasted.

In 2011, a similar setup occurred in Alabama...and an EF-5 destroyed a Wrangler Jean plant in a small town...but because they heard about the threat from NWS, they closed the plant and sent the employees home...a couple were still there when the plant got destroyed and 1 was killed...but because they had the foresight to send the employees home, lives were saved. That's why we have the NWS...to warn people and try and keep them safe. No way of knowing for sure I know since the whole town was destroyed but if they had closed the candle factory, or the Amazon DC in Edwardsville, and sent the workers home, many of the deaths quite possibly could have been avoided....management put profits and production above safety and it cost lives...I hope they get sued. That goes for both Amazon and the Candle factory.

My warehouse/terminal doesn't have a great place to go in case of a bad tornado outbreak. Because of that, if our area is ever under the threat of a very severe outbreak like this, I'm not staying here...I'm going home and can work from home...at least there, I have a very good basement that I can go into if threatened.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:46 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
All very unfortunate news given the continued climate changes brought on by global warming.

These type of storms will only become more frequent and probably more dangerous.
Nice try.

I lived through crazy storms back in 1996 in Michigan. Some that flattened the entire towns. Didn't hear about them? Of course not, because at that time, it was just considered normal in the midwest and the MSM had nothing to gain from reporting it. Now they put everything that happens into "global warming" evidence.

In any event though, serious question, why can't we do something to weaken serious storms?

I live on the coast and whenever anything hits the cold ocean air (which goes in about 26 miles) it falls apart.

Couldn't twister prone states find a way to shoot cold air into the storms to calm them down about 30% and or... keep a twister from touching down? Surely we can come up with something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes