Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 09:49 AM

7,510 posts, read 7,233,962 times

Advertisements

Not sure what you mean.

Reality is the storms in the past 10 to 15 years have become more often and worse than they used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Nice try.

I lived through crazy storms back in 1996 in Michigan. Some that flattened the entire towns. Didn't hear about them? Of course not, because at that time, it was just considered normal in the midwest and the MSM had nothing to gain from reporting it. Now they put everything that happens into "global warming" evidence.

In any event though, serious question, why can't we do something to weaken serious storms?

I live on the coast and whenever anything hits the cold ocean air (which goes in about 26 miles) it falls apart.

Couldn't twister prone states find a way to shoot cold air into the storms to calm them down about 30% and or... keep a twister from touching down? Surely we can come up with something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 09:51 AM

7,245 posts, read 4,572,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Not sure what you mean.

Reality is the storms in the past 10 to 15 years have become more often and worse than they used to be.
Not true.

Reality is that the MSM only focuses on storms in the last 10 to 15 years.

No handwringing over this https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/2...rings_rem.html

Old 12-13-2021, 04:24 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,394,879 times
More very sad news from the tornadoes. Difficult to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQRP...channel=WHAS11

Old 12-13-2021, 08:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,520,934 times
Not unprecedented for a Tri State Tornado type event to happen in the area. Another one happened 100 miles north and almost 100 years to this. The climate change connection is it occurring in mid December rather than March or April with dew points fueled by near record warm Gulf water.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:57 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,520,934 times
Experienced storm chasers in field plus using satellite images believe there was a gap of may 10 miles without a tornado in NW TN. KY side is going to be 160 miles or so long while AR MO TN side is about 70 miles.

Another 100+ mile continuous track is likely from Newbern TN to W of Bowling Green KY. Unreal.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:02 AM

10,377 posts, read 8,022,892 times
And now the entire state of Iowa is under a tornado watch. The weather this year is nuts!

Old 12-15-2021, 09:19 AM

374 posts, read 259,549 times
There's a MODERATE weather risk with a 10% hatched risk for tornadoes across most of Iowa and most of southern Minnesota.

Excerpt from the SPC Outlook text:

Quote:
"As the low-level jet deepens to at least 70-80 kt, hodograph curvature ahead of the convective line will be favorable for embedded supercells and QLCS mesovortices with 0-1 km SRH of 300-400 m2/s2. This should result in potential for at least a few tornadoes, mainly after sunset. One or two of these may be strong, particularly across western to northern IA and southeast MN. This threat appears unprecedented for this region this late in the year."
Since 1950 there have been few to no recorded tornadoes in December for much of the higher risk areas.
In over a decade of storm chasing I have never seen such a statement from the SPC on an Outlook.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:06 PM

30,266 posts, read 11,890,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith32 View Post
There's a MODERATE weather risk with a 10% hatched risk for tornadoes across most of Iowa and most of southern Minnesota.

Excerpt from the SPC Outlook text:

Since 1950 there have been few to no recorded tornadoes in December for much of the higher risk areas.
In over a decade of storm chasing I have never seen such a statement from the SPC on an Outlook.

There have already been 4 tornado warnings across Nebraska. One is just west of Omaha. Another in NE Kansas. I have a feeling its going to be an active evening.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:33 PM

10,377 posts, read 8,022,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
There have already been 4 tornado warnings across Nebraska. One is just west of Omaha. Another in NE Kansas. I have a feeling its going to be an active evening.
Yes, I was offline for about a half-hour because I was in my hospital's basement. Fortunately the tornadoes went to the north and south of Omaha, and spared the main part of the city. There's been some significant damage (at least one building lost a roof), but overall we were lucky. But there's more to come west of us...

I love the festive sound of tornado sirens during the holiday season - NOT!!! But knock on wood, we have been luckier so far than those poor people down south, so I really can't complain.

Old 12-15-2021, 03:40 PM

30,266 posts, read 11,890,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yes, I was offline for about a half-hour because I was in my hospital's basement. Fortunately the tornadoes went to the north and south of Omaha, and spared the main part of the city. There's been some significant damage (at least one building lost a roof), but overall we were lucky. But there's more to come west of us...

I love the festive sound of tornado sirens during the holiday season - NOT!!! But knock on wood, we have been luckier so far than those poor people down south, so I really can't complain.

Wow. I am in North Central Oklahoma. And it looks like the severe storms are only as far south as Wichita, KS which is 100 miles north. Unless they flare up farther south. But there are tornado warning spanning the entire length of the Nebraska / Iowa state line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Tornadoes