Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 07:37 PM

3,971 posts, read 5,764,113 times

Advertisements

This is sure to raise some eyebrows and I as a visitor have known Dundas Street for more than 30 years. One of the first things that come to my mind when I think of Toronto is the #505 Dundas Street tram route, which connects Toronto's two Chinatowns. It'll be strange to hear the route addressed by another name. What do others think?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...name-1.6936800
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 08:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
I think we have a general tendency to apply our modern day insight and social progress to those in history. I'm not opposed to this in extreme cases, but looking at Dundas some good points were raised that he had abolitionist tendencies and of course his views had to shape the reality of the times he was living in. Less would have been done if he was a 2023 abolitionist - he would have been considered at the time a radical nutcase.

Lincoln who emancipated the slaves in southern states would today be considered a racist. While he objected to the evils of slavery from a moral perspective, he certainly wasn't a huge proponent of integration and racial equality. Atleast for most of his adult life, although in his latest years he was softening. Shall we cancel him from history for not having 2023 views on these topics.

What if there had been no Lincoln. Would the U.S be better off in terms of racial equality. Highly doubtful so point is we have to be realistic about the world these people were living in - the general worldviews of the time and the challenges they faced. They didn't have the benefit of our cumulative knowledge up to this point. I suspect in 150 years (assuming humanity will still be around), they will look back at us and want to potentially cancel our prevailing worldviews.

So i'm not really feeling this Dundas renaming. It is a simplistic move that doesn't account for the fact that social progress has always been just that - a slow moving ever evolving process. Besides, it is a costly one at that at a time when the city is really struggling financially. Not to mention the fact that down the road, if they rename it after a modern day individual - this person will also be considered offensive in the future and another rename..

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2023 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-22-2023, 04:14 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
If this trend continues on the same trajectory in about 25-50 years every single person who ever ate meat will be getting their statue toppled.

Old 08-23-2023, 12:49 AM

1,220 posts, read 491,363 times
Wow just wow. This is precisely why people are losing repsect for the left. There is a severe housing and afordability crisis in Toronto, so Olivia CHow wants to spend tens of millions on changing a steet name? (I wish there was a barf emoji)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If this trend continues on the same trajectory in about 25-50 years every single person who ever ate meat will be getting their statue toppled.
We're pretty much already there. Have you seen some of the obnoxious protests vegans have done?

Old 08-23-2023, 05:37 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Here in the US, we're eventually going to have to turn our backs on George Washington and Thomas Jefferson because they were actual slaveowners . Do you have any idea what it will be like erasing George Washington from the US landscape?

Old 08-23-2023, 12:39 PM

3,449 posts, read 2,775,135 times
The street could be renamed for David Dundas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwGlhKcEBjY

Old 08-23-2023, 01:53 PM

They should rename Dundas to "Gender neutral avenue" or "nonbinary lane".. I think that name would be quite fitting in progressive downtown Toronto and would be a big step towards inclusivity and fighting racism and the patriarchy. They should make sure all the streeet signs have a raindbow design.

Old 08-24-2023, 05:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
They should rename Dundas to "Gender neutral avenue" or "nonbinary lane".. I think that name would be quite fitting in progressive downtown Toronto and would be a big step towards inclusivity and fighting racism and the patriarchy. They should make sure all the streeet signs have a raindbow design.
You really have it out for the LGBTQ community. I mean that community is not directly responsible for this. Your frustrations clearly run deep man. Like it going too far - take it easy!

Old 08-24-2023, 06:38 PM

3,971 posts, read 5,764,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Here in the US, we're eventually going to have to turn our backs on George Washington and Thomas Jefferson because they were actual slaveowners . Do you have any idea what it will be like erasing George Washington from the US landscape?

No more $1 and $2 bills I suppose. They'll all be replaced by a new crop of dollar coins featuring other less controversial historical figures in addition to our Sacagaweas and Susan B. Anthony coins. Every major city will probably scrap whatever Washington Street or Jefferson Avenue they have and the nation's capital, the capital of Missouri, and our 42nd state will have to change names. Boston already renamed Dudley Square, a major square in the heart of the City, to Nubian Square because Thomas Dudley dealt in the slave trade. There is talk of changing the name of the popular tourist landmark Faneuil Hall as well because Peter Faneuil was a slaveowner. In a different but related manner, Ryerson University in Toronto recently was renamed Toronto Metropolitan University because Egerton Ryerson badly influenced the infamous residential school system for First Nations children. John MacDonald, Canada's first prime minister, has also been struck from the Canadian $10 note for his support of such schools among other injustices against First Nations peoples. Yep, we're living in interesting times indeed.

Last edited by Urban Peasant; 08-24-2023 at 06:57 PM..

Old 08-24-2023, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You really have it out for the LGBTQ community. I mean that community is not directly responsible for this. Your frustrations clearly run deep man. Like it going too far - take it easy!
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot making a joke about our overlords was forbiden. Please forgive me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto