Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 08:44 AM

100 posts, read 93,631 times

Advertisements

Hitlerstrasse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 08:51 AM

2,381 posts, read 1,062,715 times
Perhaps "Trudeau Square"? .......or maybe just call it "The Square"....

Saying "I'll meet you at "The Square" ....sounds better than "I'll meet you at Sankofa Square"...

Anyway you look at it ....it is another clear case of "pandering"....

I bet in the future ...the 2020s will be regarded as the decade of pandering...

Last edited by GTB365; 12-18-2023 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-18-2023, 09:36 AM

1,223 posts, read 495,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
P"...

Anyway you look at it ....it is another clear case of "pandering"....

I bet in the future ...the 2020s will be regarded as the decade of pandering...
Pandering to who though? From what i am seeing online many Black people in Toronto have no idea who Sankofa was and didn't really ask for this.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:46 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Pandering to who though? From what i am seeing online many Black people in Toronto have no idea who Sankofa was and didn't really ask for this.
These days they don't consult when they aim to pander to you. They already know what's best for you as a minority whether you like it or not.

I was once at a training activity and a Euro origin colleague (likely Catholic in upbringing but almost certainly lapsed) threw a hissy fit because lunch was being served during the day during Ramadan and it was intolerably disrespectful to Muslims to eat in their faces when they couldn't. Meanwhile a nice Muslim colleague that I knew well sat down next to me and had lunch like everyone else.

Old 12-18-2023, 12:16 PM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These days they don't consult when they aim to pander to you. They already know what's best for you as a minority whether you like it or not.

I was once at a training activity and a Euro origin colleague (likely Catholic in upbringing but almost certainly lapsed) threw a hissy fit because lunch was being served during the day during Ramadan and it was intolerably disrespectful to Muslims to eat in their faces when they couldn't. Meanwhile a nice Muslim colleague that I knew well sat down next to me and had lunch like everyone else.
Reminds me of when Apu on The Simpsons was suddenly "offensive to Indians."
Meanwhile, when polls were conducted, Indians practically unanimously voted that they loved the character, and were in no way offended.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:20 PM

1,136 posts, read 612,624 times
It costs $1.7M to rename the subway station?

Granted I don't truly understand the full scope of changing everything, but it will really cost THAT much?

Personally I don't know what to think about the renaming. According to some historians, Dundas was an abolitionist, but had to operate under a different and difficult culture at the time.

As for renaming Dundas street for the staggering cost of $12.7M. No.

The taxpayers of Toronto are already taxed to death through all the myriads of taxation and fees. To spend that insane amount to rename a street due to a debatable issue is illogical.

I would love to hear an objective historian speak on the terms of Dundas. Maybe a professor or head of a Canadian History dept.

ps. As a pragmatic person I'm all in on changing the dedication of said street name to maybe some other Dundas figure that deserves the accolades. Should only cost about $2.75 lol.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:27 AM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Dundas I like Hodgepodge’s idea. This guy seems like a good candidate, knighted WWII British Royal Air Force captain. Not Canadian but we used to have like 10 towns across the country named after Joseph Stalin in this country, surely a real soldier who fought alongside us like this deserves some honour or maybe a statue.

Not sure if anyone on here watches South Park but they recently retconned an African American character from the name Token to Tolkien (Lord of the Rings author). This would be just as hilarious

Old 12-28-2023, 08:00 AM

335 posts, read 153,856 times
Quote:
Renaming Dundas Street
Does this mean we should all just pretend that slavery never happened now?

Old 12-28-2023, 08:10 AM

100 posts, read 93,631 times
Canada Place used to be one huge slave market. Everyone knows it. Or soon will.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:35 PM

1,223 posts, read 495,787 times
LOL Woke politicians are shocked. Again, shows how much they are out of touch.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto