Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 03:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
The Laffs losing every Game 7 in the First Round of the NHL Playoffs!!!
Actually. You're right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2023, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 4,293 times
Pros:
Diversity: lots of newcomers so sort of easy to meet people. I found it easier to make friend in smaller places though, since its ease to get into "ima just gonna sample this" mentality because of the size. I've also found it hard to find community since I am not part of any of the major minitories.
Many jobs, but hard to get the first one or a good one. There's also a grindset mentality where you're expected to toil for some years until you have earned your position (more so in conservative industries)
Lots of places to live, but on the other hand it is so expensive

Cons:
Its a pretty ugly city, and weather is a bit oppressive (too hot in summer and no close places to make use of winter snow)
The lakeside is big but under-utilized.
Since its so big, it takes time to get anywhere else than your neighbourhood.
The core feels like it has no centre, maybe around Yonge-Dundas but its so sketch, speaking of which there are many mentally ill and homeless on the streets.
Compared to the west coast, the city feels a bit poor, but Torontonians just wanna grind until they can afford that house (and second rental property).
A lot of construction (this is needed, but is noisy)

If I'd have to pick one worst thing it would be that you pay too much for too little when living here.

Old 03-18-2023, 02:16 PM

1,543 posts, read 869,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSwede View Post
Its a pretty ugly city, and weather is a bit oppressive (too hot in summer and no close places to make use of winter snow)
I only find it oppressive if the summers are above average like it has been most of the last dozen or so years. But I'm guessing you are from the west coast (BC?).

Old 03-18-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I only find it oppressive if the summers are above average like it has been most of the last dozen or so years. But I'm guessing you are from the west coast (BC?).
I'm from Scandinavia originally, but I lived in Vancouver for a couple of years, yes. IMO, the ideal climate would be long 20-25C summers. Winter on the west coast wasn't very fun either.

Old 03-18-2023, 03:03 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Too cold combined with expensive to live.

Old 03-18-2023, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
i moved back during the 'rona so i have pandemic rent, but since everything is so expensive not it feels like the flexibility is gone. I earn OK but have nothing to save for like. Looking for somewhere else.

Old 03-19-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
For Canadians there aren't a lot of warmer options. Canada is a cold country and yes - T.O is expensive but then again, so is Vancouver, S.F, Boston and NYC among others. As always though, the U.S is a bigger country population wise so a lot more options. We have fewer options here unless we leave the country. Most don't - it's home, family are here life built etc.

Old 03-27-2023, 12:13 PM

17,165 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
For Canadians there aren't a lot of warmer options. Canada is a cold country and yes - T.O is expensive but then again, so is Vancouver, S.F, Boston and NYC among others. As always though, the U.S is a bigger country population wise so a lot more options. We have fewer options here unless we leave the country. Most don't - it's home, family are here life built etc.
Adding to that, Canadians generally embrace the cold, and partake in all sorts of winter activities. The major cities remain very active throughout even the coldest days.
So, I don't think "cold" is a problem at all in Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSwede View Post
Pros:

Cons:
The lakeside is big but under-utilized.
The core feels like it has no centre, maybe around Yonge-Dundas but its so sketch, speaking of which there are many mentally ill and homeless on the streets.
I agree with these points. A lot of the city is indeed quite ugly, particularly the main commercial arteries.
Regarding the waterfront, I think The Gardiner is a major reason why it's so underutilized. Whose bright idea was it to build that monstrosity of an expressway there?

As for a lack of centre, I always though of the area around King and Yonge to be the true heart of the city. Dundas Square just feels like a tacky, cheap replica of Times Square, without the "oomph."

Old 03-27-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Adding to that, Canadians generally embrace the cold, and partake in all sorts of winter activities. The major cities remain very active throughout even the coldest days.
So, I don't think "cold" is a problem at all in Toronto.

I agree with these points. A lot of the city is indeed quite ugly, particularly the main commercial arteries.
Regarding the waterfront, I think The Gardiner is a major reason why it's so underutilized. Whose bright idea was it to build that monstrosity of an expressway there?

As for a lack of centre, I always though of the area around King and Yonge to be the true heart of the city and possibly the country. Dundas Square just feels like a tacky, cheap replica of Times Square, without the "oomph."
Main commercial arteries in Old Toronto like Bloor, Ossington, Avenue, Queen, King, College, University etc are ugly? The main one's outside old Toronto are just infill really but is it that much different than outside core areas in other major cities.

As for Yonge Dundas sq - billboards are a bit tacky but so what - its a lively area. Lots of free concerts and events at Yonge Dundas Sq. People are too hard on it.

you think this is the urban heart of Toronto

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64908...7i16384!8i8192

vs this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO5iIdmYULQ&t=401s

I dunno maybe I really need a new set of glasses. Don't get me wrong - Yonge and King has a lot of nice Pre WWII highrise gems but I don't think it is the 'urban heart' of Toronto. Like it or lump it - Y/D is probably the busiest place in the city. It is an attractor and there are lots of shops, eateries, events, shows and concerts there - it has billboards - boohoo who cares lol.

Every city rips off others. There'd be no cities without 'ripoffs' lol but Y/D has always been a place where there is lots of action, billboards and commerce. The fact there is a square there where events happen instead of billboards and cheap jean shops imo opinion is a big improvement actually. I'd prefer it as it is rather than a square with a big fountain in the middle with a statue.

The waterfront has a lot going on. It's a busy place and getting better all the time.... The stretch of Gardiner through the Portlands is torn down and being redeveloped.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-27-2023 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-27-2023, 01:52 PM

So these are ugly? I think they are pretty vibrant arterials with good walk scores and amenities

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Wor...g%2F11b5wrp9xs

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Caf...g%2F11bbwncn97

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.65402...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64681...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.66811...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.64846...7i16384!8i8192

I dunno - I think there are better ugly candidate cities in N.A than Toronto - especially Old T.O which is really the urban heart of the metro. I'm due for a new set of glasses soon though so perhaps my old glasses are fooling me.

call me cray cray but I don't think what I posted is Toronto's biggest problem. What actually is its biggest problem like many of Canada's largest cities is lack of affordable housing.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-27-2023 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto