Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Don't you always feel that Toronto has to be getting shortchanged in all this?
You must be joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 01:16 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
You must be joking.
Nope Mr anti Toronto! Please tell me how I shouldn't be? As I mentioned, cities in Canada including those in Alberta are the economic engines of the country - why are they stalled by congestion? Its called LACK of investment in infrastructure including transit to keep them moving. Toronto loses 8 billion dollars per year in productivity simply because of congestion issues. Any investment measures to improve flow would pay cities and the country back in spades - so WHY are cities including most of all Toronto the city with over double the GDP of the second largest city constantly being shortchanged in this regard? Why is it that Toronto Pearson pays double the taxes it should be for ground rent when other airports in the country don't pay their fair share. Why is it I pay almost 2 grand a month in federal taxes and yet I couldn't take a subway from where I used to live DT directly to the airport where I work and where 45K other people do to.. Why can't a person who lives in Brampton or Mississauga or Pickering take a subway to work? Why is the subway system in the most densely part of Canada BURSTING at the seams because of lack of a Downtown relief line to compensate for massive population growth. Perhaps because we are getting shortfu*ck*ng changed - that's why!

Last edited by fusion2; 11-08-2015 at 01:29 AM..

Old 11-08-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Nope Mr anti Toronto! Please tell me how I shouldn't be? As I mentioned, cities in Canada including those in Alberta are the engines of the country - why are they stalled by congestion? Its called LACK of investment in infrastructure including transit to keep them moving. Toronto loses 8 billion dollars per year in productivity simply because of congestion issues. Any investment measures to improve flow would pay cities and the country back in spades - so WHY are cities including most of all Toronto constantly being shortchanged in this regard? Why is it that Toronto Pearson pays double the taxes it should be for ground rent when other airports in the country don't pay their fair share. Why is it I pay almost 2 grand a month in federal taxes and yet I couldn't take a subway from where I used to live DT directly to the airport where I work.. Why can't a person who lives in Brampton or Mississauga or Pickering take a subway to work DT and instead of to bus it or drive with long commute time? Maybe its because of the people in this region getting shortfu*c*king changed!
You're off your rocker. Canada and the Canadian provinces haven't spent money on infrastructure for a very long time, period. This has nothing to do with Toronto supposedly being shortchanged. Get a grip.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
You're off your rocker. Canada and the Canadian provinces haven't spent money on infrastructure for a very long time, period. This has nothing to do with Toronto supposedly being shortchanged. Get a grip.
Canada and the Provinces should be making investments in economic engines that keep this country moving and flowing - particularly the city that produces double the economic output of the second largest city in the country.. So i'm sorry who the heck needs to get a grip here? Do you have evidence that Toronto doesn't get shortchanged.. One example for you there - look at how Toronto Pearson pays the feds 66 percent of all ground rent the government receives in taxes from Airports in the NAP yet it only accounts for 35 percent of the traffic. The fact is cities including Toronto are getting shortchanged and have been for a long time and its stunting productivity that impacts EVERYONE in the country not just those stuck in traffic in a native city. Perhaps the only thing that needs to get a grip here are someone's false teeth.

What town or city do you live in Maclock? How about this - Toronto will send you 100K immigrants and refugees per year for the next decade until we get our fair share so we can accommodate all this growth.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Canada and the Provinces should be making investments in economic engines that keep this country moving and flowing - particularly the city that produces double the economic output of the second largest city in the country.. So i'm sorry who the heck needs to get a grip here? Do you have evidence that Toronto doesn't get shortchanged.. One example for you there - look at how Toronto Pearson pays the feds 66 percent of all ground rent the government receives in taxes from Airport in the NAP yet it only accounts for 35 percent of the traffic. The fact is cities including Toronto are getting shortchanged. Perhaps the only thing that needs to get a grip here are someone's false teeth.
Yeah, shoot the messenger. You're back to your old self again. Bravo.

If you want to spend generously on infrastructure, then that increased spending must necessarily come at the expense of other program spending. Where shall we start cutting first, then? For the avoidance of doubt, I don't mind spending infrastructure at all, but there are real costs associated with same. Who should feel the knife? Old people? Sick people? Students? You decide.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:40 AM

126 posts, read 557,307 times
Racism.

Cause it is very, very bad here.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Yeah, shoot the messenger. You're back to your old self again. Bravo.

If you want to spend generously on infrastructure, then that increased spending must necessarily come at the expense of other program spending. Where shall we start cutting first, then? For the avoidance of doubt, I don't mind spending infrastructure at all, but there are real costs associated with same. Who should feel the knife? Old people? Sick people? Students? You decide.
Go into more debt if need be! Get our crap in order and build global cities that can maximize productivity that aren't venting GDP and additional tax revenues over time due to lost productivity. Anyone with half a brain can see that the transit situation in Toronto is in dire need of investment to get people moving and thus get the economy churning out even more. If cuts have to be made in favour of investments in infrastructure that is fine.. First thing we can do - cuts to purchasing bombs to blow up Isis and civilian collateral damage in the M.E.. Buy jets we can afford not expensive white elephants. As for old people, I sympathize with them but we need to get our young people into the habit of saving for the period of time in their life that they will not be earning money.. They have had their whole lives to figure that out..

As much as running a deficit is a dirty word and as much as debt isn't desirable - until we create the infrastructure to get the people moving who actually pay tax dollars we are all going to suffer.. Sometimes you need to spend more now to make more tomorrow.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Go into more debt if need be! Get our crap in order and build global cities that can maximize productivity that aren't venting GDP and additional tax revenues over time due to lost productivity. Anyone with half a brain can see that the transit situation in Toronto is in dire need of investment to get people moving and thus get the economy churning out even more. If cuts have to be made in favour of investments in infrastructure that is fine.. First thing we can do - cuts to purchasing bombs to blow up Isis and civilian collateral damage in the M.E.. Buy jets we can afford not expensive white elephants. As for old people, I sympathize with them but we need to get our young people into the habit of saving for the period of time in their life that they will not be earning money.. They have had their whole lives to figure that out..

As much as running a deficit is a dirty word and as much as debt isn't desirable - until we create the infrastructure to get the people moving who actually pay tax dollars we are all going to suffer.. Sometimes you need to spend more now to make more tomorrow.
Well, your people have put JT in charge, so you'll probably see most of the things that you want. I'd wager he'll run up the credit card while also figuring out ways to soak natural resource producing provinces under the guise of environmentalism to fill up federal coffers, taking care to redistribute the proceeds of his pilfering to Montreal, to Ottawa, and to Toronto. Even then, that won't be enough for what I expect will be his free-spending ways. He's also likely to smash a military which is being held together by duct tape, twine, and glue to satisfy your kind.

Quote:
As for old people, I sympathize with them but we need to get our young people into the habit of saving for the period of time in their life that they will not be earning money.. They have had their whole lives to figure that out..
Wow. Just wow.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:34 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving on a Jet Plane View Post
Racism.

Cause it is very, very bad here.
Racism is a human problem, not a Toronto-specific problem. Toronto has its issues with this but the idea that it's exceptionally worse than other places is ridiculous.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Well, your people have put JT in charge, so you'll probably see most of the things that you want. I'd wager he'll run up the credit card while also figuring out ways to soak natural resource producing provinces under the guise of environmentalism to fill up federal coffers, taking care to redistribute the proceeds of his pilfering to Montreal, to Ottawa, and to Toronto. Even then, that won't be enough for what I expect will be his free-spending ways. He's also likely to smash a military which is being held together by duct tape, twine, and glue to satisfy your kind.
Ahhh so the real maclock comes out. That's why I responded to you the way I did when you said things like are you joking and are you off your rocker. You came in here with cat fangs out and its because you have an intense anger to any Province west of Manitoba and you hate Toronto and the so called "Toronto Elite".

As for transit - Ottawa doesn't need a large people moving transit system. Its a city the size of Calgary. Cities like Toronto and Montreal are large cities. By 2030 the GTA will be 2.5 times the size of current Montreal. We need to look at building transit that will get people moving. I think you know that. Western Canada isn't the only area of the country that produces economic benefit for the country either Maclock.

Quote:

Wow. Just wow.
It may sound harsh but think about it for a second. Canadians don't save adequately enough for their retirement. I'm not taking about massive cuts to Old Age - i'm just saying that we do need to get people throughout their lives in the habit of saving so they rely on government LESS for the predictable period of time in their lives when they won't be working. I'm sure there are things we can do to gain efficiencies with our services that would save money and not necessarily impact QOL for Old people, students etc. You gave me a finite number of things to choose from to 'cut' without giving me access to the books! Perhaps necessary modifications could be made where we DON'T need to cut the services for people who need them at all and just control bogus spending including not bombing foreign countries that your buddy Harper liked to spend money on.

I don't control the federal coffers Maclock but one thing I know - Canada including Toronto NEEDS investment in infrastructure to get things moving. Toronto's transit system for a city its size, stature and growth rate is not adequate. Developing and Third world countries have figured transit and its importance to large cities out and I think Canada can joing their ranks too! Progress is being made but its not enough! The GTA adds a Calgary sized city to its boundaries every 12 years and they keep coming.

Last edited by fusion2; 11-08-2015 at 09:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto