Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 06:37 AM

5,124 posts, read 6,123,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
You don't have to hike to Machu Picchu. Most people don't. There is a bus which goes to the entrance from Aguas Calientes. The bus ride is about 20 mins long and goes up a very windy road. From there, you walk 20 yards to the main entrance. After which, you walk maybe 1/8 of a mile and low and behold, the city is there. You can walk around all day and take your time. There is some uphill, but very little and, as I said, unless you are with a tour group on a time schedule, you can take your time.

"Inside" Machu Picchu itself, the only hard hikes are up to the Sun Gate or if you elect to go hike to the top of Huayna Picchu. Both are not necessary to see the ruins but are great walks.

Huayna Picchu (Wayna Picchu) - Machu Picchu - Reviews of Huayna Picchu (Wayna Picchu) - TripAdvisor

Gate of the Sun (Intipuncu) - Machu Picchu - Reviews of Gate of the Sun (Intipuncu) - TripAdvisor
Thank you for this information, Manchu Picchu was definitely on my list but having slight mobility issues walking long distances and steep stairs I figured I would cross it off but now with your info I will do a bit of research again. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 10:46 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I was in Peru for about ten days and did not have time to splurge on walking the Inca Trail. Instead, we went to Machu Picchu for two full days. Our time was better spent. We had an anthropology student as a guide the first day and roamed around the site on our own the second. The weather is unpredictable.
You will want to spend time in Cuzco, a fascinating city. Spend time at Sacsayhuaman, the fortress. Spend time at Ollantaytambo.

We used a hands-off tour company that simply set up transfers and hotels. We booked a tour into the Sacred Valley for a day. They arranged for the student guide and two-day passes to Machu Picchu. The rest of our time was on our own. They were very good and got us a flight out of Cuzco a few hours early due to a farmers' strike that would have kept us getting to the airport and our regular scheduled flight. Due to a hotel reservation problem at Agua Calientes, they booked us into a casita at Inkaterra (Eco-resort) at no extra cost.

Old 04-05-2024, 06:28 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I was in Peru for about ten days and did not have time to splurge on walking the Inca Trail. Instead, we went to Machu Picchu for two full days. Our time was better spent. We had an anthropology student as a guide the first day and roamed around the site on our own the second. The weather is unpredictable.
You will want to spend time in Cuzco, a fascinating city. Spend time at Sacsayhuaman, the fortress. Spend time at Ollantaytambo.

We used a hands-off tour company that simply set up transfers and hotels. We booked a tour into the Sacred Valley for a day. They arranged for the student guide and two-day passes to Machu Picchu. The rest of our time was on our own. They were very good and got us a flight out of Cuzco a few hours early due to a farmers' strike that would have kept us getting to the airport and our regular scheduled flight. Due to a hotel reservation problem at Agua Calientes, they booked us into a casita at Inkaterra (Eco-resort) at no extra cost.
What tour company did you use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel