Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 05:51 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times

Advertisements

When I'm traveling with my dog, obviously pet/dog-friendly is a must... and if they charge a NIGHTLY "pet fee" (which can be as much as $30/night), that's a deal-breaker unless it's the only choice in town. Usually I just stay at Motel 6 when possible, as they're the most dog-friendly with zero added fees or deposits.

And I'm not picky about how fancy a place is, even now that I can afford expensive hotels. In fact I usually prefer the ambience of a cheaper motel. Why? Less chance of people getting up in my business, plus they tend to attract my fellow night owls. I'd much rather have neighbors making noise at 3am than at 7am, which makes me unique compared to most travelers. Also, I won't be all worried about getting stuff dirty or uptight things like that. I'm not a pig, but compared to the average people on this sub it seems I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2022, 09:28 AM

654 posts, read 630,749 times
One thing that really makes me mad is all the hotels that have suspended their free breakfast (or give you a freaking granola bar and a bottled water) "because of COVID". No, it was proven early on that COVID does not spread on surfaces...You have suspended your free breakfast because you are a bunch of cheap *** operators and you have jumped at the chance to reduce your costs and hide behind "COVID".

Old 08-11-2022, 11:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,131,933 times
We tend to do road trips. If staying more than a day or two will use a VRBO or take our travel trailer. We have one coming up where we will spend one night in each of 5 different motels in 3 states. We have never stayed at any of them before, so are going by the reasonable prices, locations, and posted reviews. Since we just sleep and shower there, there isn't too much importance to amenities. Free breakfast of some sort is nice, but other than that, a king bed, being clean and fresh, and good AC are the most important things to us. Some places we have been to in the past we won't go back to, such as the Super 8 in Salem, Oregon, where our room was partially underground, we could see the underside of our car out the window. At the Portlander Inn (Jubitz Truck stop) in Portland we enjoy staying in the west tower, but once booked the east building, where most of the truckers stay, near the truck parking and the country music bar, and it was very noisy.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
One thing that really makes me mad is all the hotels that have suspended their free breakfast (or give you a freaking granola bar and a bottled water) "because of COVID". No, it was proven early on that COVID does not spread on surfaces...You have suspended your free breakfast because you are a bunch of cheap *** operators and you have jumped at the chance to reduce your costs and hide behind "COVID".
Definitely. Holiday Inn Express seems to be holding to slightly better brand standard requirements in the USA but even then they aren’t what they were in 2019.

Hilton also got rid of the elite free breakfast benefit (the replacement restaurant credit barely covers a cup of coffee) for the United States. It remains a part of the benefits list in Europe, where you still get a very nice free breakfast buffet with mid level status.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:00 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
There are Luxury Hotels for only $15 to $45 per night in lots of countries. Especially in Middle East, Asia. With Chandeliers, lots of Floors, Quiet street location, Swimming Pool, Sauna Room, Restaurant, Breakfast Buffet, Spacious Rooms.

Yeah, for late nights, usually have to go with the extra simple Hotels or Hostels.
It's not about the cost, but I think you got that... it's just the "ambience" and clientele you're more likely to find at cheap hotels/motels. I guess I don't like the stuffy types, lol.

And yeah, there are some VERY cheap luxury hotels (by our American standards) in other countries! When my mother and I went to Costa Rica, we stayed in a lovely place for like $20/night. It didn't have a ton of fancy amenities, but the grounds were quite beautiful.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
I'm not overly picky when it comes to accommodations as I'm mostly just in the hotel to sleep. That said

Deal makers:

Clean - must be clean! Comfy bed because rest is important on vacation. Must have wifi so I can research my trip on the fly. Good or reasonably good location so when I go out i'm close to the action.

Deal breakers:

Dirty or roach insect infestation. Unsanitary conditions a huge pet peeve, especially the bathroom. Overly expensive - I'd rather spend my money on experiences not a bank breaking hotel.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
After a recent rather unpleasant stay at a hotel, one thing I really dislike is carpeting. I suppose most hotels have carpeting, but when I go overseas a lot of hotels I stay at are hardwood floors or anything not carpet. I'm pretty sure those room carpets rarely get cleaned, and think of all those nasty guests who walk around on their inflamed, crusty soles. I keep my socks on or even take slippers.
Same thing with upholstered chairs or sofa's. Usually gross and not cleaned well unless its a pricey hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
This has been an odd thread. Only 5 responses in the first two months, and then 16 posts in 30 hours.

For me it's noise, but I haven't had noisy room in over ten years. Mexico is the worst -- open air discos starting at 2 am. Not the hotel's fault. A few noisy ones in Brazil and Thailand, too.
Sometimes though where the noise is, is where the fun is! Earplugs are a lifesaver! Not those cheap one's you twist and stick in your ear, those corkscrew one's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Amen to that! I asked one hotel manager that on a recent stay whereby breakfast was still suspended and he said it was to recoup costs lost during the pandemic. How long is that excuse going to be used....

Old 08-11-2022, 06:33 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,606,858 times
No wifi, no Hefe.

Old 08-11-2022, 09:42 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We are all paying some amount to the exclusion of others. Even you. I’m sure there is someone out there that can’t imagine paying as much as you pay for some accommodation.

Me? I can’t imagine paying $30k a day or run a mega-yacht off the coast of some island.

But hey, if enough money is coming in to comfortably do that, more power to ya.
Agreed 100%, and I'm not judging you if you're happy $24 to throw at a cup of coffee then good on you.

It's just someone jarring, I cringe at the occasional $6 coffee

Old 08-12-2022, 04:56 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,637,979 times
We've had deluxe breakfasts down here in every accommodation. So not everyone is cheaping out. We had so much cold cuts and cheese and bread, we made sandwiches for dinner. Plus eggs, fresh fruit and fresh juices.

But we are furious at the last place. Absent-minded DH left his laptop charger and they will not respond to our inquiries or help us in any way. I'm sure the staff sold it off somewhere. They'll be getting a one-star review, if I can find where to post one (booked direct). Also refused to send a taxi to the airport, and after dark, I really prefer a hotel transfer service I can trust, rather than random taxis lurking at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel