Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 06:39 PM

3,277 posts, read 1,754,718 times

Advertisements

A deal breaker for me is when the normal sound level of conversation can be heard in an adjoining room. What I want is a TV, fridge, a coffee maker and comfortable chairs. What puts me over the top is an in house four star restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 07:59 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Makers: price (if I feel that I'm getting a good deal, either in overall price point or for a particular hotel, that's a plus), breakfast included without jacking up the price, wifi included without having to pay separately, close to transportation, free/cheap parking, etc.

Breakers: price (we'll pay several hundred a night for good hotels, but won't spend exorbitantly more), pests (rats, mice, cockroaches, etc.), bad service (I don't need great service, but bad service is a no go), paper thin walls where I can hear basic conversations and television, etc.

We've been booking via Amex's FHR more and love the selection, especially overseas where 5 star hotels have cost what standard hotels in major U.S. cities do. We've found all of the makers under the FHR umbrella and love that there's a $200 statement credit per calendar year as well (we each have a Platinum Card).

Old 01-02-2024, 12:28 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,024,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
What features or qualities in a hotel are most likely to affect whether you would
return/extend?
Great topic, and it's so across the board. I've had experiences in fleabag dumps up to high end resorts, and there are pluses and minuses to all. I would love a thread about the worst lodging experiences. I have a lot!

Deal breakers: Seeing another guest cutting pills on the counter in a hallway bathroom, with dirty dishes and food in the sink. Seeing & hearing a neighboring guest running power tools/sawing wood on his patio a couple doors down. Hearing chainsaws after 10pm and being spotlighted in my tent at a commercial campground (I slept in my car that night, doors locked, pistol loaded). Cockroach infestations.

Deal makers: Upgrading the room or discounting the rate due to a problem, without hassle. Accommodating off-hours check in or check out. Free parking. Exceptionally clean and comfortable linens and bathrooms. Basic breakfast included in the room rate. Hot tub that is hot.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:49 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Fully agree with the above poster!

Depends on where I am going and who I am with. If just me I will go a little cheaper and try a small local place ,if the Wife is with me we tend to do the nicer Hotels or even a nice B+B. I took a trip to the Berkshires last Fall by myself which I have done may a time in the past with and without the Mrs. I tried a little motel this time that was (supposedly) associated with a very nice 3star place a few miles away that we had stayed at before. It was a nightmare, I didn't last 15mins at the place and booked another place from their parking lot.

Turn on- Place's that deliver on what they promise

Turn off- place's that lie and suck people in, not what they promise. Dirty and cheap bothers me. Let me be clear there is a difference between less expensive and cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel