Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 11:09 AM

37,644 posts, read 46,052,689 times

Advertisements

Hi. Last time I went overseas, I bought a SIM card in Athens and just replace my sim with that one, and it worked fine.
This time I am going to somewhere a bit more rural - Oberammergau Germany, we are going to the Christmas markets.
I have no idea what is available there but I am guessing there will be less shops around than when we were in Athens. Is it possible to purchase the necessary SIM card prior to getting on the plane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 11:45 AM

130,534 posts, read 12,143,244 times
You can probably buy one at the airport you arrive in. Should be easy to check online. Will you head straight to Oberammergau or stay in the city for the first night?

Old 11-24-2023, 08:31 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Hi. Last time I went overseas, I bought a SIM card in Athens and just replace my sim with that one, and it worked fine.
This time I am going to somewhere a bit more rural - Oberammergau Germany, we are going to the Christmas markets.
I have no idea what is available there but I am guessing there will be less shops around than when we were in Athens. Is it possible to purchase the necessary SIM card prior to getting on the plane?

When you went on that last overseas/'Athens' trip, did you have this same iPhone SE ?

If the answer to that is yes, then you can just do as you did last time/as evening sun suggests.

If this is a different phone than the one you had on your last trip, where/how did you buy it ?

If you bought it from Apple, unlocked, then you can do as you did on your last trip.

If you bought it as a 'Total by Verizon' phone/from them, I'd call them (total by Verizon prepaid).

At the very least, I'd think you'd need to get it unlocked (carrier unlocked).

Old 11-24-2023, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You can probably buy one at the airport you arrive in. Should be easy to check online. Will you head straight to Oberammergau or stay in the city for the first night?
We have a transport at the airport taking us directly to Oberammergau.

Old 11-24-2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
When you went on that last overseas/'Athens' trip, did you have this same iPhone SE ?

If the answer to that is yes, then you can just do as you did last time/as evening sun suggests.

If this is a different phone than the one you had on your last trip, where/how did you buy it ?

If you bought it from Apple, unlocked, then you can do as you did on your last trip.

If you bought it as a 'Total by Verizon' phone/from them, I'd call them (total by Verizon prepaid).

At the very least, I'd think you'd need to get it unlocked (carrier unlocked).

It was a different iPhone - it was 5.5 years ago. And yes, it is an unlocked phone, purchased from Apple. (The earlier phone was also unlocked.)
I know I can do the same thing - I am not asking that - I am asking about availability of SIM cards (what is the best kind? I used Vodophone in Greece) once I get to Germany, or if I can purchase one that will work there, before I get there.

Old 11-25-2023, 10:00 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,615,471 times
Get one at the airport upon arrival, it only takes a few minutes for them to set it up with a local carrier for you. Otherwise check out a mall/shopping center near where you land for a telco shop to do it.

Old 11-25-2023, 12:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Check for best recommendation of carriers in Oberammergau (the airport carriers may not have the best rural coverage)

Most Apple devices can use e-sim. Much simpler in various locales.

Old 11-25-2023, 12:03 PM

5,768 posts, read 11,390,426 times
You had a Vodafone prepaid SIM in Greece? Chances are good that same SIM still might still work in Germany if you "top it off" with some new minutes. I had Vodafone prepaid in Germany, and it worked everywhere in the EU. The same applies to a Vodafone SIM from Greece which will work fine anywhere in the EU. Vodafone is the second largest wireless carrier in Germany and has excellent coverage and data speeds. You can buy Vodafone refill cards at any grocery store in Germany, even at the Lidl grocery in Oberammergau next to the train station. It doesn't matter that it has a Greece phone number. In Germany, I had friends with Vodafone SIMs from many different countries in the EU (with phone numbers from those other countries), and all would top off and use their phones in Germany no different than if they were in their home country.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:52 AM

2,131 posts, read 1,799,414 times
You may be able to purchase a sim and have it waiting for you online. You may be able to find the available vendors on the airport's site or use a site like Klook to buy a sim at your arrival airport.

Also even though the city you are going to may be considered remote, there will likely be a mobile phone provider nearby.

Old 11-27-2023, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
You had a Vodafone prepaid SIM in Greece? Chances are good that same SIM still might still work in Germany if you "top it off" with some new minutes. I had Vodafone prepaid in Germany, and it worked everywhere in the EU. The same applies to a Vodafone SIM from Greece which will work fine anywhere in the EU. Vodafone is the second largest wireless carrier in Germany and has excellent coverage and data speeds. You can buy Vodafone refill cards at any grocery store in Germany, even at the Lidl grocery in Oberammergau next to the train station. It doesn't matter that it has a Greece phone number. In Germany, I had friends with Vodafone SIMs from many different countries in the EU (with phone numbers from those other countries), and all would top off and use their phones in Germany no different than if they were in their home country.
That was over 5 years ago. I don't have it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel