Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 08:06 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,566,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
We would love to have you in Costa Rica.
Birds beaches monkeys rain and cloud forest.
Getting around is not really cheap but if limiting to one or two locations not bad.

It is and will be high season for you so hotels or hostels are a bit higher if you need private room.

Mexico is cheaper and better bus service. Airfare cheaper 2. Maybe volaris flies out of Austin?
In any case have fun.
I'm following this post as my husband and I would like to go to Costa Rica. We've never been there. What part of Costa Rica do you recommend for first timers? We do like the water, would like to see pretty birds and monkeys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 01:35 AM

451 posts, read 423,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I'm following this post as my husband and I would like to go to Costa Rica. We've never been there. What part of Costa Rica do you recommend for first timers? We do like the water, would like to see pretty birds and monkeys!

The most traveled first time tourist route is Arenal volcano/LA fortuna, then Monteverde and then Manuel Antonio. Check those out. Good mix of things.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:39 AM

451 posts, read 423,263 times
For 5-7 days I would be a fan of Merida also. 2-3 days in town downtown all the cool buildings then cruise the street with old mansions. Great food.
As mentioned the Mayan sites are excellent. Rent a car and drive the Ruta Puuc.

Have a great time

Old 01-01-2024, 01:42 AM

113 posts, read 164,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I agree with Gardyloo. I have done this trip at that time of year. It ticks all your boxes. Rent a car at the airport, it’s cheap.
I'm not a very confident driver, I don't know how I would feel driving in another country.

The only thing is, yeah all that stuff looks nice, but I don't really want to do it. I don't know I can't explain it. I'm going to think it over a few more days.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:49 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresc21 View Post
The only thing is, yeah all that stuff looks nice, but I don't really want to do it. I don't know I can't explain it. I'm going to think it over a few more days.
Okay, well, for something completely different, as the Pythons would say, how about sled dog races and running with the reindeer?

Round trip from Austin to Anchorage in late February is around $400 most days, and if you come during the annual Fur Rendezvous winter festival, you can have a blast going to all the exhibits, shows, sled dog championship races, outhouse races, the running of the reindeer (Anchorage's answer to Pamplona) and lots of other fun activities, many of them free. It's fun for singles, safe, and while it won't get you a passport stamp, you'll probably be the only person on your block to have been to a blanket toss or fur auction.

https://www.furrondy.net/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiYg1kqejPk

Old 01-01-2024, 11:33 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,035,841 times
I have heard from friends and read online that Cartagena, Columbia is a great vacay. Safe, great food, beautiful town.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:25 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
A young American female alone in Mexico with a rental car to me doesn't sound like the most prudent travel advice.

OP how about a US big city you perhaps haven't explored? With hostels or AirBnB as an option places like NYC, Boston, DC or Chicago offer reasonably priced roundtrip fares with plenty of cultural options (many free/low cost) and a fun, manageable social scene for meeting people and making memories/potential new friends.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:16 PM

541 posts, read 394,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
If you want to go one place that kind of has it all, Manual Antonio is great. There are a variety of accommodation options too based on budget.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:50 PM

2,069 posts, read 1,010,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
A young American female alone in Mexico with a rental car to me doesn't sound like the most prudent travel advice.
I agree with this, but the OP didn't state their gender. As I posted upthread, I traveled to Belize as a solo female traveler and had no desire to rent a car. I think that opens more problems that it's worth. I was in my early 30s at the time, dressed conservatively, didn't hang out in bars, and felt safe enough. When approached by men, or receiving hissing/kissing sounds from them, ignore it and keep walking. This is common behavior in all Hispanic/Latin areas, including in the US.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:34 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Would Aruba or Puerto Rico be a possibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel