Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times

Advertisements

I grew up in San Diego and was a child when this happened. I don't remember much about it besides it being a huge story (of course) and that my mother was very unsympathetic to her cause. I believe that stuck with me mainly because my mother will tend to always take the woman's side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,239,181 times
Smile No winners

I think the bottom line here is how people treat others - now if Dan had treated her a bit better and not been the master manipulator, this end result would not have been.

I have not read the books about her story but it sounds like he knew which buttons to push and he did that.

You have to look at his motivation also - was he just happy to have the younger wife or was he so intent on wrecking her life?

There's no way I condone murder or harming someone but there were many red flags in her behavior - someone should have seen to it that she got some help.

Example: Burning his clothes - right there, someone should have been called in.

Clearly no winners at all here. None.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:49 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I think the bottom line here is how people treat others - now if Dan had treated her a bit better and not been the master manipulator, this end result would not have been.
Betty Broderick was on a misson, played games at her childrens expense and it backfired.

When she burnt his clothes, that was a call for help. Where was the intervention?

I think the movie 'She Devil', with Roseanne Barr, Ed Begley and Meryl Streep, though meant purely for humor, exemplifies her state of mind and behaviors.

If the situation were reversed and this had been a man murdering his ex-wife and her new husband, there would be no sympathy.

Last edited by virgode; 03-14-2012 at 05:00 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 07:31 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
She, from what I read devoted the early part of her marriage to getting Dan his education, at first he was a professional student and attempted Med school while she paid for it and worked; I will find the link but when they lived on te East Coast apparently Betty worked full time and paid his sizeable tuition and medical and law school.

Granted her actions in the end can only be her responsiblity BUT imo he pushed her to the limit, and apparently that Linda person was no innocent rose either, they called her names at the law office, she got promoted from sleeping with Dan, etc....(she was a receptionist, and promoted over paralegals who attended graduate school)

Nothing justifies murder but taunting and harassing an ex to the point of madness is what dan did. He should have had the grace to step away or get her mental health treatment. He could have taken the high road, but chose not to. Actions have consequences.

Dan was an attorney. He knew full well how divorce affects people, imo he was not a stupid man but his actions were just as at fault as Betty's.
Agree with all of this. There also is something called "Soul Murder"

Her life was completely defined by her husband's work and earlier, his education.

Unlike Kolkena, she had a Bachelor's degree. Conflicting reports say in Nursing or Teaching. She attended a then upscale college for woman.Someone such as Kolena, who bore a physical resemblance to the younger Betty,yet was an intellectual light weight, who had really never worked hard in her life, would have really infuriated Betty. And indeed she infuriated the office staff.

Being Dan's wife WAS a full time job.Not only did she bear him four children,the attendance at events centered around him, entertaining his clients, memberships in a private club in which only the husband is the official member left zero time for herself. She did pay for his tuition, at Harvard and Notre Dame. Dan could have selected state colleges, but he didn't. Education,was valued by both of them, but so was class.
The choice of Kolkena was a repudiation of everything that the Broderick were as a couple and a family.

He utilized a little known law to stretch out the divorce - and to make it seem as though she was going along with what was going on, when in fact, she had no idea that it was.

During this time, the house was sold out from under her. In some states for these reason's, everything a husband owns (and vice versa) is owned by the spouse. I am originally from NYS, their home state, and this fact is well known to anyone who has ever had a little money, been involved in a real estate transaction or set up a will in NYS knows that the spouse in that state is the recipient - is the spouse.

I think the Brodericks were fiercely upwardly mobile and probably BOTH narcissistic to some degree. There shared values of education as the source of wealth, and monitartary attainment, exclusion ( they sent their children to private school (when I am sure the public schools would have more than sufficed) and were member of a restricted country club.

They shared an obsession with achievement, luxury and elitism.

But the more that I think about it, Dan killed Betty when she chased Kolkena. At least from the point of view of the Brodericks.
Dan, as an attorney, did it legally.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
I agree Sheena. Cant rep you again yet. There's alot more to this story than the LMN movie which portrayed Dan as an innocent lamb. (plus Stephen Collins the attractive actor who also plays a Minister on "Seventh Heaven" tv series)

The more I think about it, its been awhile since I saw those films which portray Judith Ivey as a no- nonsense prosecutor reaming Betty, it seems like over-compensation, trying to prove Betty as a raging lunatic while Dan and Linda merely got on with their lives.

From books I have read, this was not the case, Linda was a known "loose" (to put it nicely) person at the office, and rubbed Betty's face in this anythime she could, as did Dan.

I will have to read that new book, because there was psychological abuse which could have set Betty off the deep end, again not justifying her action but she may have not been in her right mind after all the emotional abuse. Emotional abuse is covert, takes years to build up, and often results in a lashing out when the spouse finally breaks down.

Are YOU Being Emotionally/Verbally Abused?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 AM

Most states now require "equitable distribution" especially in metro NY area as the assts can be considerable. But if the spouse owned considerable assets BEFORE the marriage, these can be exempt (i.e. the husband or wife gets to keep their house if it was already paid off prior to marriage.)

This was NOT the case here, clearly Betty paid Dan's medical and law school tuition, under todays divorce statutes she would have been entitled to "future earnings" maintenance/alimony, as she helped him attain his professional credentials.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:11 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Most states now require "equitable distribution" especially in metro NY area as the assts can be considerable. But if the spouse owned considerable assets BEFORE the marriage, these can be exempt (i.e. the husband or wife gets to keep their house if it was already paid off prior to marriage.)

This was NOT the case here, clearly Betty paid Dan's medical and law school tuition, under todays divorce statutes she would have been entitled to "future earnings" maintenance/alimony, as she helped him attain his professional credentials.

Agree again and I can't rep you either! What are some other good books about the subject? I read only one, and it's the most famous and I believe the one on which the Lifetome movoe was based.

Even in those, which are prett Dancentric, one could see that he was noy Mr nice guy by a long shot!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Until the Twelfth of Never: The Deadly Divorce of Dan & Betty Broderick: Bella Stumbo: 9780671726669: Amazon.com: Books

Forsaking all others: the real Betty Broderick story ; including prison ... - Loretta Schwartz-Nobel - Google Books

Here is a person who was at prelim. trial- he was not symapthetic to Dan:

Turns out that Lifetime movie I saw back in the '90's was scripted by the sad woman who prosecuted Betty Broderick (twice), and furthered her career by doing so; the 'honorable' Superior Court Judge Kerry Wells. Wow! No wonder Betty Broderick was portrayed so harshly in the 'made for TV' movie.
Does anyone remember the Betty Broderick story? - Yahoo! Answers

Like most films it was made by a person in the system who was furthering her career by prosecuting.

True crime library.com sometimes had good updates, I am frankly surprised a new book isn't in progress given public interest in this case.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
Betty is knitting with only one needle.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
I think she was pushed over the edge no doubt about it... but in the end she murdered two people as they slept and she must pay the price!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime