Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

I never thought that she was the "She Devil" that every one else did.

Right now I am watching "A Woman Scorned" on LMN, with my teem aged daughter.

Oprah had her fun with her in the late 80s. She is well hated by her children.

I think none of this needed to happen had she been not treated like junk and traded in for a newer, less well educated model.

Dan Broderick systematically destroyed his wile. Linda Kolkena was a gold digger. Nothing more.

So what do you think. Can someone be driven crazy? I think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I can understand sympathy for her... yrs ago I saw my friends go through the same issues... husbands had affairs, left the home and married the much younger woman. All these women were treated so poorly...

But she had an incredible amount of rage, if I remember correctly... in addition to the heartache, shame, hurt, abandonment etc.

When that rage takes over people do crazy things... like kill someone. But it was premeditated, she went over there with the gun and with her unchecked anger.

...quite unlike killing your abusive husband in the throes of self defense etc.

quote=sheena12;23363576]I never thought that she was the "She Devil" that every one else did.

I think none of this needed to happen had she been not treated like junk and traded in for a newer, less well educated model.

Dan Broderick systematically destroyed his wile. Linda Kolkena was a gold digger. Nothing more.

So what do you think. Can someone be driven crazy? I think so.[/quote]

Old 03-11-2012, 07:17 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I never thought that she was the "She Devil" that every one else did.

So what do you think. Can someone be driven crazy? I think so.
Women get traded in everyday for younger better built models, sadly many women end up bitter, but they don't unlawfully enter the home of the ex and blow them both away.

After her 21 yr imprisonment she was denied parole in 2010.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
...sadly many women end up bitter, but they don't unlawfully enter the home of the ex and blow them both away.
I agree. You do wonder what it is that drives some people to attempt murder after a romantic breakup. I'm thinking of the married NASA astronaut who went after her boyfriend's girlfriend a few years ago and the recent conviction of the former LAPD officer who was found guilty of murdering her ex's new wife, 25 years after the murder.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Dan Broderick was VERY high on the food chain in SoCal Med mal atty circles, imo he used his connections to create legal hell for betty.

The justice system is controlled by money and power, not justice. Betty was painted by his colleagues as a mental wreck, not justifying her actions but imo Dan wanted her to have a major breakdown, just didnt think it would result the way it did.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Women get traded in everyday for younger better built models, sadly many women end up bitter, but they don't unlawfully enter the home of the ex and blow them both away.

After her 21 yr imprisonment she was denied parole in 2010.

Totally agree. No murder was needed and taking the law into one's own hands is wrong.

She had her life stripped away though. Couldn't he have at least permitted her to have her children and one of the homes?

At least some dignity? For woman of that generation, and that class, her family was all. She had a college degree, but I don't think that she ever used it - except in the service of Dan Broderick.

She lost her friends, her children her home and her station in life.

I think that her husband did not want only a divorce - he wanted to erase her - from his life, their circle of friends and her children's lives.

Heard about "over kill"? this strikes me as "over divorce"

Old 03-11-2012, 11:57 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Well, I am going to have to disagree about Betty. She brought most of the mess on herself.

I've read the books and seen the movies.

She had the kids and decided they should live with Dan and Linda to make times rougher for Dan.

IMO, Betty is a classic narcissist. It's all about her. Yes, she taught while Dan was getting his advanced degrees but when he was finally able to make it professionally she resented anything (in the way of money) that he did for anyone else. Remember the couple he took to Europe along with Betty? She couldn't stand that. He bought her an expensive ring but she didn't like it because it was not the one she wanted. She became shrewish. Nothing was ever good enough for her.

Yes, it is very, very difficult to go on when you've been left for a younger woman but women do it every day.

Betty was a PITA in prison, too, and probably still is. Her parole was denied because she refuses to admit that she was wrong in killing Dan and Linda. I feel no pity for her at all and if she gets out she will kill again if things don't go the way she wants them to.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Dan Broderick was VERY high on the food chain in SoCal Med mal atty circles, imo he used his connections to create legal hell for betty.

The justice system is controlled by money and power, not justice. Betty was painted by his colleagues as a mental wreck, not justifying her actions but imo Dan wanted her to have a major breakdown, just didnt think it would result the way it did.

Yes he was. And this is a perfect example of that. I would also add gender.
he was also president of the Bar.

No one wanted to cross Dan.

Her stage of life could also point to hormonal changes. These people were from the East. Her social support was entirely with her nuclear family and friends.

Before she actually committed the murder, she was tried in the court of public opinion. For the crimes of being over forty, out spoken and female.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post

Betty was a PITA in prison, too, and probably still is. Her parole was denied because she refuses to admit that she was wrong in killing Dan and Linda. I feel no pity for her at all and if she gets out she will kill again if things don't go the way she wants them to.
Exactly, she can't blame her parole denial on Dan Broderick.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes he was. And this is a perfect example of that. I would also add gender.
he was also president of the Bar.

No one wanted to cross Dan.

Her stage of life could also point to hormonal changes. These people were from the East. Her social support was entirely with her nuclear family and friends.

Before she actually committed the murder, she was tried in the court of public opinion. For the crimes of being over forty, out spoken and female.
She, from what I read devoted the early part of her marriage to getting Dan his education, at first he was a professional student and attempted Med school while she paid for it and worked; I will find the link but when they lived on te East Coast apparently Betty worked full time and paid his sizeable tuition and medical and law school.

Granted her actions in the end can only be her responsiblity BUT imo he pushed her to the limit, and apparently that Linda person was no innocent rose either, they called her names at the law office, she got promoted from sleeping with Dan, etc....(she was a receptionist, and promoted over paralegals who attended graduate school)

Nothing justifies murder but taunting and harassing an ex to the point of madness is what dan did. He should have had the grace to step away or get her mental health treatment. He could have taken the high road, but chose not to. Actions have consequences.

Dan was an attorney. He knew full well how divorce affects people, imo he was not a stupid man but his actions were just as at fault as Betty's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime