Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 12:54 PM

17,759 posts, read 15,560,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It has been 20 years since the Columbine shootings occurred.

Five of the survivors today: https://www.cbsnews.com/video/columb...erful-stories/
They happened before.. They've happened afterwards.. Just not on the scale of that.

my mother was freaked out because I had just started school in NoVA when this happened...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.11b576e79071

I was in elementary school at that point, and wasn't in the feeder system for Lake Braddock, but it was only a few miles away, and the school was laid out the same as the high school I eventually went to, Robinson... Which eventually had an LSD scandal and one of the students involved in faked his own death to try to escape justice.

By '99 I had graduated.. But, I think most of us know someone in school who, even before Columbine, you wondered if they were going to come in and shoot the place up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 05:31 PM

8,598 posts, read 7,018,450 times
I remember it well. An American tragedy. One of the reasons the death toll was so high was that the first responders did not immediately enter the building and confront the shooters. Those kind of tactics have changed with police departments all across the country.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:14 PM

20,148 posts, read 9,665,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I remember it well. An American tragedy. One of the reasons the death toll was so high was that the first responders did not immediately enter the building and confront the shooters. Those kind of tactics have changed with police departments all across the country.
Yes, I lived two miles away from there at the time, and the sheriff's department received a LOT of criticism for their response. In fact, many people here expressed their belief at that time that LEOs who were present were cowards, and it would not surprise me if many people still believe that.

I personally remember watching and thinking, "What are they waiting for?" It seemed like hours before the kids were allowed to vacate the school. And it was many more hours before they acknowledged which kids were killed. My kids were not yet of high school age, but I could truly feel and agonize with all those waiting parents of Columbine students. I understand the precaution of not wanting to release incorrect information, but I just hope that the process for informing parents in tragic circumstances like these has greatly improved in the past 20 years.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:56 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,576,394 times
Quote:
Cops were flat out cowards.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:30 PM

26,934 posts, read 27,145,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Cops were flat out cowards.
I would hardly call them cowards. In light of when these shootings took place and given the circumstances, setting up and securing a perimeter was the best strategy they had.

"Prior to Columbine, nobody understood what the term 'active shooter' meant."

They rush straight to the gunfire.

That's how the April 1999 massacre at Columbine High School -- where two young men killed 13 people -- shaped the way law enforcement respond to active shooter incidents such as Wednesday's deadly rampage in Parkland, Florida.
"It changed everything," said James Gagliano, a retired member of the FBI's elite hostage rescue team.

How Columbine changed the way police respond to mass shootings:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/15/us/fl...ons/index.html

Old 04-28-2019, 04:02 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,576,394 times
They were total cowards. Instead of waiting it out so they could play janitor, they should have rushed in to stop the killing.
Totally. Worthless. Response.

Old 04-28-2019, 04:46 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,999,954 times
Remember almost all details, as I became fascinated with the case, read all books I could find etc.

The book Columbine is probably the best.

It's like 9-11...just can't forget.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:29 PM

26,934 posts, read 27,145,182 times
I didn't realize that so many students had been able to leave the campus during the shootings.

Four Columbine High School teachers were students the day of the April 20, 1999 shooting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyqQHifpJM4

Old 04-29-2019, 05:01 PM

7,127 posts, read 8,697,240 times
It was indelibly etched in my mind...my oldest son was in 8th grade at the time and one of the more well-liked kids...living in Florida many kids had access to guns...one boy, in particular, worried some of the other parents so much that they approached the Principal with their concerns...needless to say it caused an uproar with the boy's parents...

Old 04-29-2019, 05:14 PM

7,352 posts, read 11,822,287 times
Quote:
Have they? It doesn't seem like it to me. I mean the policies may have changed but when it comes to crunch time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime