Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 11:25 AM

13,274 posts, read 364,885 times

Advertisements

Kind of interesting.

https://youtu.be/eDcRvz0GETc?si=ZEP14UNXlaYlZwBT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2023, 06:21 PM

13,274 posts, read 364,885 times
Some people are going to have a busy weekend.

https://youtu.be/n1kIoxPuGNw?si=Pcrm6P9bcjzc_aJ1

JHACH pushed to turn over everything.

Old 11-03-2023, 08:53 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,315,927 times
This has taken a turn, for sure. Defense opened the door

Old 11-09-2023, 12:17 PM

Verdict in favor of the Kowalskis. I think total is about $220...have to double check later

Old 11-09-2023, 06:19 PM

Jury just awarded the family an additional $50mill in punitive damages.
They won bigly

Old 11-10-2023, 10:56 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
I haven't paid attention to this case until now. I do remember when Beata committed suicide and I felt so bad for her.

I'm watching the Netflix documentary right now I am absolutely appalled at how these doctors and other healthcare professionals treated Beata and her husband. I now feel even worse for her. I'm sure "those people" interpreted her suicide as showing that she was mentally ill. No. They drove her to suicide. The win will not bring Beata back but it will hopefully cause change in protocols. I'm absolutely appalled that this type of treatment of parents is actually quite common according to the attorney in the documentary.

Johns Hopkins will, of course, appeal but they will lose. This is a hallmark case that will be cited in many future lawsuits, as it should.

Last edited by pathrunner; 11-10-2023 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-10-2023, 04:18 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
The case will probably be settled for a lower amount instead of years of appeals.

Btw, other lawsuits have been filed against the doctors and other medical staff, Cathy Bedy, Sally Smith, Tampa-Sanchez and of course Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital by other families that have been damaged/hurt.

One person was sentenced to 8 years in prison, another one got life in prison, and the woman from Ukraine that testified about the white lab coat has filed a lawsuit as her 2 kids were taken away for months by Sally Smiths wrong doing.

Same attorneys for the plaintiffs so keep your eyes on the next trial against the same actors!

Old 11-10-2023, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the further info. Those women need to be in prison as well as having their licenses to practice permanently removed. Of course, how convenient, Sally Smith retired recently. Probably was given an ultimatum or else. Truly vile people, reminds me of Jodi Hildebrandt in Utah (infamous for recent case, but long term abuse of many others).

Old 11-10-2023, 09:11 PM

It was a very riveting case. Through the punitive phase of the trial JHACH accused the family of lying and denied they made life hell for them. It really was unbelievable. I do believe they’ll reach a settlement which will be much more than would have been offered otherwise.
The Kowalskis needed to be believed and have opened the door for several other families to be restored and compensated. JHACH is a hot mess once they target your child and family.

Old 11-12-2023, 03:38 PM

I'm watching trial testimony of a medical doctor who treats CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome). He stated that it's a neurological disorder that likely has a genetic factor (mutation). They don't undertand it and can't cure it.

I'm thinking that many or all neurological diseases in modern times (cases are escalating) is a result of genetic mutations.

I haven't listened to the whole trial (it was 9 weeks) but I'm wondering if the reason Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital didn't want to treat her with Ketamine (which she had received before with success) is that it is very controversial. It's a party drug and it's also a very strong drug. If they didn't want to treat her they should have released her to her parents who have the right to treat their child as they see fit. Screw the FDA, the AMA, and everyone else!

The jury agreed. $50M in punitive damages for various things including medical imprisonment. The hospital billed for CRPS, while denying she had it AT THE TIME and even during trial! SMH.

"The Lawyer You Know" on YouTube is covering this in an excellent manner. He is very articulate, non-sensational,and he provides commentary about legalities and other issues as the testimony goes along. His opinion (and I agree) is that during appeal JHACH will settle for approximately $100M, possibly more but probably around that amount.

This is long but you don't have to watch the whole thing to get the gist.

(coding not work for some reason)
LIVE! Real Lawyer Reacts: Maya Verdict - The Jury Dropped The Hammer - What Do We Expect Next?
youtube.com/watch?v=5K5VhW88HFk&t=8366s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime