Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:08 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,502,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I don't know that it would stop.
Incest, post partum depression and psychosis, all of which played a part in those two women's lives, can really warp a person's mind.
It's really a sick world out there, and sometimes the most innocent ones pay the price.

Unfortuantely, there are many upon MANY people in this day and ago who have been raped, been put through incest, depression, among countless other sicknesses....and they don't kill people. They don't kill their own children. People that had the same illnesses...that have been put through WORSE than those who killed...yet they didn't. They didn't use it as an excuse. If hundreds, thousands of people didn't kill their children yet were raped by their pop as a kid....had postpartum depression....then why should they be "allowed' to?

I had depression after my youngest, every day for a straight 3 months. Cried every single day. Couldn't wait for my husband to get home so he could take over a bit for my child. I started getting panic attacks and was on medication. I would never use that as an excuse to get rid and kill my child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 01:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,099,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Unfortuantely, there are many upon MANY people in this day and ago who have been raped, been put through incest, depression, among countless other sicknesses....and they don't kill people. They don't kill their own children. People that had the same illnesses...that have been put through WORSE than those who killed...yet they didn't. They didn't use it as an excuse. If hundreds, thousands of people didn't kill their children yet were raped by their pop as a kid....had postpartum depression....then why should they be "allowed' to?

I had depression after my youngest, every day for a straight 3 months. Cried every single day. Couldn't wait for my husband to get home so he could take over a bit for my child. I started getting panic attacks and was on medication. I would never use that as an excuse to get rid and kill my child.
I am glad that you had that strength to get through.
My own mom went through something similar.
I don't see Smith (incarcerated) and Yates (high security mental health facility) as having been "allowed" to kill their children, nor do I see their life situations as enviable.
I have seen a lot of different ways that parents can hurt their kids. People who don't love themselves can't be good parents.
I see children who come to preschool hungry and dirty--and worse, but I won't go into that.
Murderers must, and shall, be punished as the law sees fit.
For myself, the best way to honor the memory of lost children is to love my own, and help other children, and their parents, in any way I can.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 PM

267 posts, read 1,143,271 times
I'm still living in NY right now and until yesterday did not know too much about this story. I read a newspaper article yesterday that my grandmother had brought home from her trip to FL. As I read everthing, my heart was breaking for that little girl and her father. Thinking about my own children and what that family must be going through just makes me shutter.

I don't understand why, in this country, don't we have stricter laws to protect our children. They are the future of this country, out most precious resource. Too many children lose thier innocence and are hurt by selfish pigs. I personally believe that a quick death is too kind for these offenders. I too believe that they should be given a taste of thier own medicine. Anyone who takes advantage of a child's innocence and violates a child doesn't deserve the right to live, or a peaceful death for that matter.

Why can't stricter laws be put into place - something needs to be done.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,113,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post

Why can't stricter laws be put into place - something needs to be done.
Well that's what her dad is doing now. I live the next town over from where that happened so it's an everyday article in our newspapers and to answer your question above, her father has changed the laws in FL and several other states that put these people behind bars for a very long time on the first offense. He's trying real hard to make this a national law for every state. He's come a long way in what he's done so far. He's nobody special. just an average joe personl like you and I and he's made such a big difference already. He quit his job as a truck driver to focus all his time on traveling to other states to create and pass these laws. he also made a law that anyone hiding or housing an offender without reporting it will also be charged as in this case there were 4 people in the same home but there were no laws to charge those for harboring and hiding him. Today, they would be charged. It's a shame such a tradegy has to happen like this and just an average citizen is trying to make good for everyone. You'd think someone with higher authority would have already had these laws in place.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,688,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
Unfortuantely, there are many upon MANY people in this day and ago who have been raped, been put through incest, depression, among countless other sicknesses....
See Winfrey, Oprah for good visible example, too. Talk about a super-person, all she's doing, with all she went through!
I bring her example up to Susan Smith sympathizers to shut them up promptly. (Who doesn't know Oprah :>)
Awesome post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime