Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 PM

70 posts, read 544,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglouie View Post
You should stay away from South Tucson. Although there is a lot of hard working people in this part of town it is not the best place to open a business.
Why? Explain to us why you feel this way with a solid argument. This forum is open to debate not only opinions with no explanations.

There is a lot of traffic in South Tucson so it basically all depends on what type of business you are considering. If you are buying an existing business it's all about "show me the money" which is the cash flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 08:58 PM

16 posts, read 64,794 times
I usually try not say much bad about Tucson, but having lived right on the outskirts of the South side, I can personally attest to a few false statements with first hand experience. My house was broken into at 2:30PM, broad daylight... the alarm went off and the police were notified at 2:36. I arrived home at 4:06ish... saw the damage and called the cops... they arrived at 5:14... so to the person who stated that if you call the cops they will show up immediately I would beg to differ, more like there is a good chance they will show up that day. To further solidify that, the cops actually made the statement that "this is the South Side of Tucson, this is common". In speaking to an investigator in the situation... he literally said that police attendance to crime on the South Side is dismal at best and a 3 hour response time is quite typical due to multiple factors.. the sheer volume of crime, the lack of motivation in compensation versus risk, etc. So to those making statements without first hand experience... I would say that the "nothing has ever happened to me" statement is a poor out look. The statement should actually be, "I have been extremely lucky in that nothing has ever happened to me". Sorry for the length of the response, but the South side of Tucson is not a safe area, in the least. True, your neighbors are most likely very nice people, but then again... I don't think it is the nice people that you would be concerned about in such matters. Again, I apologize for such a dismal outlook, but unfortunately all statements made above are matter of first hand fact... Take it as you will.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 PM

64 posts, read 263,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBChallenger View Post
I usually try not say much bad about Tucson, but having lived right on the outskirts of the South side, I can personally attest to a few false statements with first hand experience. My house was broken into at 2:30PM, broad daylight... the alarm went off and the police were notified at 2:36. I arrived home at 4:06ish... saw the damage and called the cops... they arrived at 5:14... so to the person who stated that if you call the cops they will show up immediately I would beg to differ, more like there is a good chance they will show up that day. To further solidify that, the cops actually made the statement that "this is the South Side of Tucson, this is common". In speaking to an investigator in the situation... he literally said that police attendance to crime on the South Side is dismal at best and a 3 hour response time is quite typical due to multiple factors.. the sheer volume of crime, the lack of motivation in compensation versus risk, etc. So to those making statements without first hand experience... I would say that the "nothing has ever happened to me" statement is a poor out look. The statement should actually be, "I have been extremely lucky in that nothing has ever happened to me". Sorry for the length of the response, but the South side of Tucson is not a safe area, in the least. True, your neighbors are most likely very nice people, but then again... I don't think it is the nice people that you would be concerned about in such matters. Again, I apologize for such a dismal outlook, but unfortunately all statements made above are matter of first hand fact... Take it as you will.
Please refer to the crime map posted earlier. I don't diminish your experience but please don't extrapolate it to describe the entire area. My personal experience is different than yours. I currently live on the south side like I've said in earlier posts and I don't share the bad experiences you've had. So since my story's different than yours let's look at real numbers, facts. There are NO areas of Tucson free from crime, especially breaking and entering, and car theft.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:22 PM

70 posts, read 544,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBChallenger View Post
This thread is originally about South Tucson not the south side of Tucson. The city of South Tucson responds immediately to police calls as it is an average of 1 mile per 1 mile square within its city limits with its own police station, and fire station/ambulance. So when I said the police responds and shows up immediately I meant it and you can call any local business to verify this.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:37 PM

16 posts, read 64,794 times
Take it for what its worth I suppose... didn't mean to be off topic.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:37 AM

713 posts, read 1,464,351 times
"how bad" is subjective.

anyone in AZ should protect themselves.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=7

Old 01-14-2008, 01:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,282,138 times
Its a decent neighborhood. The businesses over there seem to thrive. Would i want to walk around the neighborhood in the middle of the night on a Friday night? No! But its a perfectly normal business environment for the most part. Crime in Tucson is exaggerated anyway.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:33 AM

12 posts, read 41,849 times
Default just be careful

I worked in South Tucson for over a year and gracias a dios, nothing happenned. You should be careful to skip and out as quickly as possible at night, but during the day, no problem. Many of those "illegals" are the nicest people you'll ever meet. Unfortunately, some go the other way, but....keep an open mind.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:49 AM

686 posts, read 3,719,702 times
Hi there, I've been through the South Side of couple of times. I would say it is a mixed area. Some parts of the S.S. are very nice and others parts are pretty bad. I never go down there because there is nothing really to see except for Tucson Electric park and the Swap Meet.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,604 times
South tucson is the town where g's roam get that **** str8 we put it down on haters...l's up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson