Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 26,253 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to start a thread to find out about some of the places in Tucson that really make Tucson what it is. I am not interested in any chain restaurants or that sort of thing but rather independent places.

Most beautiful-
Gates Pass Lookout - This place is perfect to go at sunset and there are often a good amount of people there at this time. The easiest way to get there is to take Speedway west past I-10 and continue heading out until you see an area that has some parking. This site provides a wonderful view of a Tucson valley and is absolutely stunning as the sun sets

Most unique-
Solar Culture Art Gallery - This is perhaps one of my favorite places to see concerts in Tucson. Always low prices, art on the wall, can bring in your own drinks. Only negative to this place is that the acoustics could be better. Located downtown at Toole and Stone.

Las Brasas - Good Mexican food. This place is certainly not a gourmet restaurant, but in a city full of hundreds of fast food burrito places, this place provides something a little more authentic and tasty. There are many other places in Tucson that have great Mexican food but this one is not too far away from me and your burrito won't be half full of gristle and fat (a la Los Betos). Located around 22nd street and Country Club.

Casa Video - What is not to love about this place? Free popcorn to eat while you look around. Two times the selection of Blockbuster and at half the price! This place is a must for anyone who loves film. Located around Country Club and Speedway (It's hard to miss)

Thanks for all of your contributions. I really want to make sure I experience everything Tucson has to offer before I leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 AM

35 posts, read 175,645 times
My vote for most beautiful: Not exactly Tucson, further to drive to than Mt Lemmon, and you have to hoof it to the top; but what can beat the amazing view on top of Mt Wrightson? On a clear day you can see Phoenix in one direction and Mexico in the other just by turning around, at the 360 view at the top.

My vote for most unique: Since Solar Culture has already been mentioned, my vote goes to Womankraft art gallery, just South of downtown proper at 388 S Stone. Usable art, laid back vibe, the kind of place I felt comfortable sitting on the floor talking with friends in the middle of an art opening night. And it ain't a place just for women, though it does primarily feature the works of local women artists.

favorite park to visit: Tohono Chul park, more of a botanical garden: bigger than the Tucson botanical garden in the middle of town, lots to walk around and see, and the occasional art event. Love the place.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,221 times
The Loft Theater - it's a non-profit movie house that shows independent and classic movies. It's great!

Old 03-03-2008, 10:25 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Old Tucson is a pretty interesting place, a lot of western movies were filmed there.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:05 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Most enlightening:
KXCI radio 91.3 FM
It's not a place, but definitely one of the best local sources for entertainment!
This is not a shameless plug.. When I lived in Tucson, I revived my musical interest, and KXCI definitely opened me up to so many types of music that would never get exposure anywhere else! I LOVED the diversity, and the community connection. You don't have to be a member to listen, but I was more than willing to financially support this station as a member (no minimum). Anyway, now that I've moved out of state, once again, I've lost interest in music, simply because I'm not exposed to anything interesting, and very little is available to choose from on the radio, or in stores.

Most Unique:
Valley of the Moon
Valley Of The Moon ~ Tucson AZ ~ 2544 E Allen Rd Tucson, AZ 85716 * 520-323-1331
One of the best kept secrets! What can I say, you have to just check it out.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:44 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,305 times
If you are into hiking, you must hike to Seven Falls located in the Santa Catalina Mountains. ((7.8 miles- low desert so it will be warm/hot;depending). Seven Falls is actually a cascade of small falls which provide a couple small swimming holes.
It is breathtaking!!!!!!

Don't forget to bring water. ENJOY!!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 02:10 AM

24 posts, read 122,749 times
I like driving around the neighborhood 'El Encanto Estates' It's an older neighborhood with beautiful curving streets, gardens and lovely yards.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 26,782 times
Valley of the Moon and Solar Culture (I almost had a interview with Mr. Eye down there) are the most interesting and unique places in Tucson in my opinion.

The most beautiful, I think is Pusch Ridge, or really, anywhere you are in Tucson around 4:30-5:00 when the sun sets. As long as you got a good view of the sky. Wonderful setting for pictures.

And I hear the Loft on Saturdays, around midnight can get pretty interesting.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 75,353 times
Default Best little known place in Tucson

Pima Canyon

Old 03-18-2008, 06:57 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
I wish I could remember the name of this place. If you drive South towards the border it is a great little Southwest restaurant with awesome Margaritas, a little dive. You could look all the way into Mexico and watch the lightening storms!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson