Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 05:13 PM

37 posts, read 393,578 times

Advertisements

[quote=swusresident13yrs;23546]First, the mexican food doesn't come close to what it should be. Anyone from Mexico, New Mexico, or Texas will tell you this. The locals who know real mexican food don't at most of the "mexican food restaurants". Your only hope for something decent is in the south side (try Mi Nidito's).

Although "To each his own" is a mantra for me, I must beg to differ! I have lived in, and been in most of Texas. Good Mexican food does not exist there unless you get close to, or across the border. Tucson has many excellent Mexican eateries. I suppose if one has been raised on "Tex-Mex" (barf), one may not appreciate Sonoran style food. I am a Southwest resident for over 50years. There is a distinct difference between the Baja, Sonora, and Chihuahua influences, and much different still are the styles from the South. When speaking of food, the words "Texas" and "Mexican" cannot be used in the same sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 119,529 times
Default Another pending transplant

I am planning a move to Tucson in the next 3+/- months and am so glad to have found this forum. What I've read so far confirms what I've discerned. I will be 'semi-retired' and it sounds like this is a good choice for a place to live. I'll keep watch here to learn all I can. Thanks to all for helping all of the newcomers!

Old 09-01-2006, 06:38 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,790,471 times
Catalina is a great place.
It's 14 miles northwest of Tucson proper.
It's a small town and the locals there are fussing about how the town is "growing", LOL.
We lived in Catalina and liked it. It isn't much more than a spot in the road with a few businesses. It's straight up Oracle Road - hard to miss!
Your commute into Tucson proper (in town) will be anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the time of day. But if you are bringing a family, you can rest assured they will be safe.

Tucson has a large "retired" population, so be aware of that. Although they leave in summer months.

All in all, I enjoyed Tucson. I would go back, yes.

And $200K will buy you a VERY NICE home there if you buy in outlying areas like Catalina or Marana, etc.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:40 PM

7 posts, read 17,160 times
Question Tucson......

I have to disagree with some posters on here. A good rule to follow in looking for a home in Tucson is stay North or East. Low crime and good schools. I prefer the NorthEast: Close to the Mountains (Santa Catalina's) for summer escape from the heat. I'm originally from Chicago and if you think there is high crime in Tucson all I can do is laugh. I don't even lock my car doors and I leave my car running in the parking lots in the summers for AC action. Economically there are plenty of great employers in Tucson such as Intuit, Geico, Progressive, Pima County, Raytheon (If you can deal with Missile Karma), etc.....

Old 09-12-2007, 05:54 PM

3 posts, read 13,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonTrina View Post
I've lived in Tucson since 2000 and I love it here. Much better than the Phx area, which is too large, too crime-ridden and much too hot and dirty in the summer.

Tucson has more of an old town feel. It's nickname is the Old Pueblo. There is much more of a border town atmosphere, and there's so much excellent Mexican food here, it's tough to decide where to eat.

If you're looking at schools, perhaps you will be able to transfer to the U of A. Though a private university, it is large and contains a medical and law school. Their engineering dept. is top notch, too. Many grads go on to work at Raytheon and other large aerospace and engineering firms here in Tucson.

If you want a "nice" neighborhood, look to the NW or North side of town. 200K will get you a nice house in 85741. Maybe a town house or condo in 85742. The nicest zip in town is 85737 (Oro Valley), but houses run $400K-sky's the limit there. There are some newly renovated condos going in at the Starr Pass and Silverbell area (not too far from the U of A) under $100K.

Best wishes!

PS- I work in South Tucson. Despite what you may hear, I think it is oine of the safest parts of Tucson. Lots of times, people are afraid by that which is unfamiliar to them. South Tucson is very reminiscent of a city in Mexico. This throws many Anglos, but it should not be misconstrued as being an unsafe place. The people of South Tucson are warm and gracious and the food is excellent, my friend. Viva South Tucson!
hello is there any snow around mt lemon yet? how about blue chip motors is it still in business? I use to be the credit manager there when Jake and mel silverman was the owners and my favorite place to eat was ponchoves (not spelled right) on speedway blvd. and don jose's but I am back home in nc now.

have a great day
Mike Lee

Old 09-22-2007, 03:46 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Do your family a favor and don't move here. The schools are horrible, $200,000 gets you nothing decent, and the climate is so obnoxiously hot that all you can do is sit inside for about 6 months to avoid heatstroke and malinoma.

My girlfriend is from Chicago and she wants to move back there. I'm from 40 miles north of Detroit and I feel the same way about Tucson as her. If we get married I will do everything in my power to NOT raise my children here.

I live in an area of Tucson that many on this board consider good (East of Kolb and 22nd) and my neighbor's 10 year old daughter is frequently bullied harrassed and insulted coming home from her "magnet school." Oh yeah, I live in a house that was $215k when I purchased it. If that is what other people on here consider good for a family then count me out. A sense of community and a better house for your $$ is what you'll find in the midwest, if you have a good job there and can support your family, stay!!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:34 PM

14 posts, read 85,473 times
I have heard that Vail has the best schools, there is a web site you can check school
ratings but I think most realestate agents can help you with that info. Vail is on the
outskirts of Tucson on the east side. Houses seem to run a little higher but there are
some nice areas also on the outskirts of Tucson but then you have a longer drive. Marana which is on the nw side of Tucson is growing and there are alot of new housing development coming up, there should be something in your price range but like you've
heard from some people. Tucson is really spread out and driving time can really become
an issue, first figure out where you are going to be working and then figure out the best
area in the vacinity to live.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:12 PM

104 posts, read 319,610 times
[quote=Roundtruck;69038]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swusresident13yrs View Post
First, the mexican food doesn't come close to what it should be. Anyone from Mexico, New Mexico, or Texas will tell you this. The locals who know real mexican food don't at most of the "mexican food restaurants". Your only hope for something decent is in the south side (try Mi Nidito's).

Although "To each his own" is a mantra for me, I must beg to differ! I have lived in, and been in most of Texas. Good Mexican food does not exist there unless you get close to, or across the border. Tucson has many excellent Mexican eateries. I suppose if one has been raised on "Tex-Mex" (barf), one may not appreciate Sonoran style food. I am a Southwest resident for over 50years. There is a distinct difference between the Baja, Sonora, and Chihuahua influences, and much different still are the styles from the South. When speaking of food, the words "Texas" and "Mexican" cannot be used in the same sentence.
ah the old 'Mine good so yours bad' approach to the Tex-Mex/Mexican food debate.

My wife and I, both native Texans, love Mi Nidito's and the other assorted styles of Mexican food in Tucson. We like that it is different, and more authentic, than the Tex-Mex we grew up on. That said, we also enjoy our Tex-Mex food as well. I guess my point is there is no need to draw a line in the sand, just enjoy what is out there for its uniqueness. We are about to move out to Tucson for good and are worried we won't be getting to scratch our Tex-Mex itch. Ah well, I could eat Mi Nidito's every day of the week. My favorite lunch dish is called green chile I think. Amazing.

Ok I rambled a bit. Sorry.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,546 times
Going to Tucson for a wedding. My friend lives in Red Rock. Trying EXTREMELY HARD for me to move out there. Both my wife and I have masters degrees. She's a teacher and I'm an accountant. Not sure if it's worthwhile to move out there from Chicago.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:03 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Did you have a question for us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson