Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 10:01 AM

17,890 posts, read 13,821,441 times

Advertisements

My experience with both of these cities was from the '80s. Was in Phoenix first (Scottsdale). Phoenix and the Valley were about 1.5 million or so back then.

Ended up in Tucson shortly there after.

Tucson just seems to have more character than Phoenix. It just seems more real. It's grittier yes, but sits in a much prettier locale. Also Tucson is unique in that it still sort of revolves around the UofA despite it's size anymore. Despite that fact that a majority of the population has moved in, just about everybody falls in love with the Wildcats. So Tucson still has a college town feel that Phoenix doesn't have.

Not to be sexist but it's pretty much like the old adage of the pretty girl who is worldly and wears make up and likes trendy parties and stuff (Phoenix) vs the girl who doesn't wear makeup and likes to go hiking (Tucson).

Both are nice. I enjoy Phoenix greenery juxtaposed with the brown mountains. And Phoenix has more things going on that are typical of a metropolitan area. Tucson still has that rugged Southwestern feel to it to some degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 02:07 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,545,525 times
My experience with both of these cities was from the '80s. Was in Phoenix first (Scottsdale). Phoenix and the Valley were about 1.5 million or so back then.

Ended up in Tucson shortly there after.

Tucson just seems to have more character than Phoenix. It just seems more real. It's grittier yes, but sits in a much prettier locale. Also Tucson is unique in that it still sort of revolves around the UofA despite it's size anymore. Despite that fact that a majority of the population has moved in, just about everybody falls in love with the Wildcats. So Tucson still has a college town feel that Phoenix doesn't have.

Not to be sexist but it's pretty much like the old adage of the pretty girl who is worldly and wears make up and likes trendy parties and stuff (Phoenix) vs the girl who doesn't wear makeup and likes to go hiking (Tucson).

Both are nice. I enjoy Phoenix greenery juxtaposed with the brown mountains. And Phoenix has more things going on that are typical of a metropolitan area. Tucson still has that rugged Southwestern feel to it to some degree.

eddie gein's comparo of Tucson and Phoenix sums up the difference pretty well. We used to live in small Willcox, about 80 miles southeast of Tucson. Tucson was our place to go "play," since Willcox didn't have much shopping, dining, Hasting's CD/DVD - type stores, movies, etc. Tucson is the city of U-turns, get used to making a buttload of U-turns if you're gonna be going there a lot or if you move there. Tucson is a cool southwestern city with a charm I both know and love very much.

We're now in Alamogordo, NM, and Tucson is only about 350 miles west of us here. I would prefer visiting Tucson than where our son is living, Phoenix, but we could include both in a drive west to visit him, so we no doubt will. Cruise down 4th Ave. for the shops and characters walking around the area, bikers are going to share the road with you, so drive carefully.

Sad that Tucson native Linda Rondtadt has lost her "pipes" and can't sing anymore - she could really belt out the tunes back in the day!

Last edited by elkotronics; 03-04-2018 at 02:22 AM..

Old 03-04-2018, 02:12 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,673,934 times
I would have checked out Tucson but I need a job and I heard jobs are hard to come by in Tucson.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:25 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,545,525 times
I would have checked out Tucson but I need a job and I heard jobs are hard to come by in Tucson.

Yes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, I know that story very well. We dig it here in the Land of Enchantment and are figuring that, if the Lord is willing and the creek don't rise, we will just stay put right here. But jobs play a large part in where we're gonna live, yes they sure do.

Where did you end up going for your job, 49erfan916?

Old 03-05-2018, 12:45 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,882,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
Colt, they are! That fellow does excellent work...

Just watched all 4 videos and left comments for all. Brad is awesome and his videos really show Tucson in a positive light!

Old 03-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Wilma, with all due respect, you absolutely need to move back to Arizona! You are truly one of the best ambassadors for the great Southwest -- and especially for Tucson -- a place you love. We'd be very happy to have you here.

I second that motion Wilma! Life is too short, be where your heart wants to be! I should have moved here 40 years ago, but I finally made it to the promised land 4 years ago and have never had a second thought. I am in Green Valley as you know, but close enough to Tucson to say that I live in the Tucson area.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaWa View Post
Me too Jeri. Me too.....98 days but who is counting? Hope to meet up someday!

So Roberta, is it really true? You will be here in just a few months? If that is the case, CONGRATULATIONS! Are you visiting, or coming for good? I hope it is for good, you will not regret the decision!

Old 03-05-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
This is our first winter in Tucson and after almost 5 months we love this place and plan to return next winter. Why? It's beautiful here - the mountains and desert scenery are magnificent. The city is easy to navigate so it didn't take long to learn our way around and where the things we're interested in are located. We've found that people in our RV Resort and the town folk are warm, friendly and receptive to us newbies. We're close enough to PHX so driving there isn't a problem. (Heading to the NASCAR race there next month.) People say they hate the traffic here but I'm retired and can choose when to drive. That said, even when stuck in rush hour, it's not really not that big of a deal for me.

We're located in southwest Tucson and like this location. It's close to the Interstate which makes accessing other parts of the city convenient unless you have to travel to far east Tucson. Almost everything we need is a short drive for us and only rarely have to go there. In my opinion, you won't go wrong choosing Tucson.

Hey Dan, Bart from Green Valley. I am really glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. I hope next time you can make it down to Green Valley for the Wednesday impromptu car show again at Continental Plaza!!!

Old 03-07-2018, 02:18 PM

404 posts, read 482,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
Hey Dan, Bart from Green Valley. I am really glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. I hope next time you can make it down to Green Valley for the Wednesday impromptu car show again at Continental Plaza!!!
Hi Bart. I thought about you last week when we visited Hi Speed Rods Customs Choppers. It was fun just walking around the shop checking out various works in progress. Then we drove to Hotrods Old Vail for lunch. The restaurant has windows overlooking part of their work shop. However, it wasn't as interesting as Hi Speed and the food isn't worth driving all the way out there. They said we could schedule a tour of the full facility if we wanted.

We'll try to schedule another trip down to GV before leaving for the summer. It was great visiting with you last time.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:54 AM

723 posts, read 1,003,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkolodzi View Post
So Roberta, is it really true? You will be here in just a few months? If that is the case, CONGRATULATIONS! Are you visiting, or coming for good? I hope it is for good, you will not regret the decision!

Yes. We are finally going to move into our house after 3 long years of waiting, waiting, waiting. My grandson graduates in June so we are moving out right afterwards. It has been much too long to have to wait but it is finally almost here. Thanks for remembering!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson