Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 9,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLovingMemoryTimRoyce View Post
I am writing this post in hopes to reach those of you thinking about moving to Tucson, AZ. I am not trying to discourage that decision, but I do hope that you will heed what I have to say and consider it – especially if you are moving here with children

was born and raised on the northwest side of Phoenix, AZ. I lived on a main street, and around the corner from a police station. The sound of the sirens became as commonplace as it is in any other big city. My house was broken into, gunshots were rarer than you would expect, but there was still a fair share of crime. When you grow up around it, it seems to just become a part of your life. I accepted it at a young age and moved on. I knew that crime happened everywhere…and Phoenix was a relatively safe place to live compared to other places in the U.S.

Back in the fall of 2004, I moved to Tucson to attend the University of Arizona. With a full academic scholarship and some extra money for spending, I lived on campus and decided not to work. I felt like I was in my own secluded bubble. This was the first time I was away from home – really on my own. I felt safe, and only heard of the occasional attempted rapes on campus, but I didn’t go out at night alone. I didn’t read much other than the UofA newspaper, and I didn’t watch much of the news. I kept up with politics, but that was the extent of my local/national knowledge. I never had any issues while living on campus that first year. I think that blinded me to what was outside of the campus, but it happens to the best of us.

After my freshman year, I moved out into a student rental home with 5 others. We had a decent 5 bedroom house within a 10-15 minute walk from my classes. We lived just north of Speedway…which some of you may have heard is the main drag in town, especially for anyone connected to the University. Not long after living there, we had cops swarming around and blocking off the surrounding areas. Turns out a murder suspect was trying to outrun the cops, crashed into a pole less than a block away from my home, tried to run through an alley, and somehow shot and killed himself by accident. Strange – yes. Did I feel unsafe? Slightly. Anything else happen after that? No.

For the beginning of my junior year, I was accepted for a study abroad program in Spain. I packed up and moved to Alcala de Henares, just outside of Madrid, for 5 months. That being the first time I left the country, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was warned about pickpockets, but really nothing else. After just a short time, I came to realize – and experience first-hand – that threat. I also came to realize that I was comfortable walking alone at any time without threat. I never heard news reports about murder or the like. Five months both in Spain and travelling solo around Europe, never once walking with a knife in my hand in fear of my life. Constantly walking alone through unknown streets actually convinced of my safety for the first time in my life…still aware, but not needing to look over my shoulder with every step.

Coming home from Spain, I felt refreshed and filled with a new sense of self. I was able to sort out a lot of my own issues and revise what I wanted from my life over there. I discarded my pre-med minor and pursued my love for learning foreign languages and cultures. I had seen enough carnage in my life…I worked in a hospital for a while in several different areas. I had assisted in a burn unit and a trauma room. I knew how unfair life could be. I wanted to focus on the serenity and love of life I found in Europe and not on the carnage I had become numb to in the past. I moved into a house with a friend on the south side of Tucson. It was a brand new development – very nice – and we both looked forward to a new experience. After a while I realized that I needed to be on my own, especially after an incident with murder in our community.

I moved into an apartment in central Tucson…near First and Prince. The price was relatively low, and it is a quiet, gated complex. I found a new job at Safehouse, a local coffee shop where I had been a loyal customer over the years. It is located near Speedway and Alvernon. On any given night, you can expect to see more than one police car speed by with sirens and lights going. I sit there and count them on a regular basis…3, 5, 13 even, in one night.

A few months into my lease, I met my neighbor that lived 3 apartments down from me. We quickly realized our immediate and undeniable connection, and we fell in love – the kind of love neither of us ever thought existed. It was that once in a lifetime love that most people never find. We never fought, and instantly became part of a huge family of friends that saw and encouraged how we completed each other and bettered each other in every way. He had just graduated with his associate’s degree in business in December 2007, and was looking for a new job. He drove a cab at night to put himself through school. It paid the bills, and he loved the interaction with people, but he wanted a more reliable income. Three months after we met, we found out that I was pregnant, and this made his job search ever more important to him. He was excited to be a father and actively involved in being at every doctor’s appointments with me. We moved into a new 2-bedroom apartment together on March 1, 2008 in the same complex. We celebrated his 27th birthday on March 3 by going to a concert with a great group of friends. He was a happy man and was looking forward to the great new life we had started together. We were planning on getting married later this year. On March 5, 2008 Tim Royce, my fiancé, was robbed and murdered while driving his cab. It happened a block north of Speedway, in central Tucson. He was shot and killed, his body left in an alley. It was a normal pickup…2 women and a man. He didn’t see anything sketchy about the call otherwise he wouldn’t have taken it. I can only assume they didn’t ask for his money, because he would have given them everything he had. These 3 people are in jail pending trial, and they are all charged with first degree murder, aggravated robbery, and armed robbery. They left his unborn child without the man who would have been an amazing father, his friends without a great friend who would do anything for anyone, his family without a son/brother/nephew/cousin/grandson, and me without the man I was going to spend the rest of my life growing old with. It has left the community in disarray and shock. Granted, the community is doing more than I ever expected to help out in this tragedy, but this shouldn’t be how the community comes together.

Tim was the 17th homicide in Tucson since January 1, 2008. Since his murder, the number has escalated to over 20. I don’t know what’s going on in this town so far this year, but I have never felt so unsafe. Several pedestrians were murdered in February for just walking down the street. In my opinion, this would not be my idea of a place to live if I was in your shoes. But then again, I don’t see anyone on this forum letting you know about the murders and people still missing so far in 2008. I’m not looking for sympathy or pity. I know my life will never be the same. I know this child’s life will be difficult. But if I can save another family from going through planning their child/sibling/spouse/father’s funeral and seeing their body lowered into a grave, then Tim’s murder was not in vein. Please, reconsider your options.
I am so sorry for your loss ,I also lost a loved one in a drag racing accident on Delaware and Cuesta ,my childrens grandmother was hit by a drag racer and killed instantly. Tucson is a rough place to live but their are some good hearted people, if only we could have only them here ! I HOPE THAT YOU AND YOUR CHILD ARE DOING BETTER AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF THERE WILL BE A LIGHT BEYOND THE DARK TUNNEL!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 6,481 times
I'm a Philadelphian, seriously considering relocation to Tucson. While every tragedy is equally appalling and dehumanizing, the statistics cited are truly a matter of perspective. Here in Philly (where the senseless murder previously referred to in this thread did indeed occur (for "no reason" other than the fact that nationwide we have legions of youths whom have been stripped of their very humanity by this "society") we recorded our 68th homicide of the year this morning. This is a significant improvement over last year, at which time the figure for this date was 95! So you can see that Tucson's murder-rate of 20-to-date, with the qualifier that this represents a significant escalation over recent years, does not strike me as an alarming figure. Of course, in essence, any murder rate is an alarming figure, but as an earlier poster accurately stated, this is the most violent country in the world. I hope Tucson can provide my family with a happier, more peaceful existence.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:17 PM

522 posts, read 1,569,752 times
I wouldn't exactly say that the US is the most volient county in the civilized world, maybe the most violient first world country though. As it has been said, it's not just tucson. Look at the news in the last week. There was a man that put his baby in a microwave oven and cooked it. Another 63 yo man went to the hospital that his wife died in and shot the nurse that took care of her and a few others. Then walked out and shot someone in the parking lot before he was shot bu a sherrif's deputy. Then there are the receint school shootings. And these are not only happening here. There was one recent school shooting in Germany.

More than the cities, I think it is the fact that there is less than we, the citizens of this country, can do about anything anymore. Our governments are becomming more corrupt and could care less about what the country needs than what they want. More people are feeling helpless. How many people are there now that were so happy that they could finely have a home to find out that their adjustable mortgages were not tied to the prime rate. These adjusted at unreasonable amounts regardless of interest rates. I have one of these that I am finely getting out of. When I got it I was led to believe that the interest rate wouldn't go up unless the prime rate increased. When it came time for them to look at adjusting it the rates were going down but my interest rate went up 1% each time. When I asked about this they told me that it wasn't tied to the prime rates and that the terms of the loan stated that they could raise the rates up to the cap in the loan....which was 12%. Fortionately I can refinance and will be closing next week. How many people could not do this? How many people are getting kicked out of their homes? This is only one thing. There's also the rising costs of everything.

I can see how some can loose it and get violent. I don't think that it is the right thing to do but I can see where some of this comes from. It seems that most nowdays think that everything is someone elses fault. I can be easy to think that because there isn't much you can do about what the politicians do.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,197,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
There was a man that put his baby in a microwave oven and cooked it.
I couldn't believe my eyes and looked it up. It's not even the only case!

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Cooked Baby Petition

One monster got only 5 (FIVE) years! Another - 25 years, but probably will be out in 10 max. Most animals wouldn't do that! And the murderers are not always the fathers, either. I don't have children, but can't even begin to imagine how a mother can do this... This world may really need to end...

Old 03-28-2008, 02:57 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,346,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I couldn't believe my eyes and looked it up. It's not even the only case!

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Cooked Baby Petition

One monster got only 5 (FIVE) years! Another - 25 years, but probably will be out in 10 max. Most animals wouldn't do that! And the murderers are not always the fathers, either. I don't have children, but can't even begin to imagine how a mother can do this... This world may really need to end...
Yeah, that's pretty horrid.

Ken

Old 03-28-2008, 03:10 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,984,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphian View Post
we recorded our 68th homicide of the year this morning. This is a significant improvement over last year, at which time the figure for this date was 95! So you can see that Tucson's murder-rate of 20-to-date, with the qualifier that this represents a significant escalation over recent years, does not strike me as an alarming figure.
Oh great, another apple vs orange comparison.

Philly has nearly 3x the population of Tucson, or was that never considered?

By the way, Tucson now stands at 23 today.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:44 PM

687 posts, read 2,033,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Oh great, another apple vs orange comparison.

Philly has nearly 3x the population of Tucson, or was that never considered?

By the way, Tucson now stands at 23 today.
While I don't disagree with you, there is a point there. Wherever you go there are risks and changes. I lived in Chelsea MI for a while. Considered a VERY safe small town. (less than 5000 people). A year and a half ago there was an aggravated assault on my city street. It was almost unheard of in our little city.

Detroit is about an hour away. And their murder rate is up above the 375+ range I believe (2006 stats on City Data put it at 418). And population falling (it's been under a million for a few years now I believe) I do think that our economy and the state of our large cities are in severe decline. I'm not blaming the murder rates on that, but I'd think that it's not helping. Stress, drug use, gang populations are probably all increased.

I'm very sorry for the OP's loss. And it is indeed a sad and tragic thing that has happened. Truth be told it's happening ALL over the US. Not just in Tucson. While I understand her reasoning for this and appreciate her voice of opinion, it doesn't change us moving here. I do think it's good to let people know ALL of the information so people can make informed decisions themselves.

It seems each forum here has some gloom and doom (specifically for big cities) posts and such. But also can serve as a great resource for locals to get together and relocators to glean information for themselves.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,346,065 times
I don't really want to hijack the thread from the OP as this person is obviously in much pain, but since the subject has ballooned a bit from Tucson's crime to crime elsewhere, I feel the need to point out that in spite of what it may seem like, nationwide - and indeed individually in most cities, the murder rate the last few year is pretty low by US standards. I think people think it is spiraling upwards, but the fact is, that's just not true for most locations or for the country. Places like NYC had the lowest murder rate last year in decades - same is true here in Seattle - and that is true for the country as a whole. After peaking in the early 1980's (I believe) murder has steadily dropped.

Still a VERY HIGH rate compared to virtually every "1st World" country, but quite a bit better than it was in the relatively recent past.

Ken

Old 03-29-2008, 02:40 PM

22 posts, read 87,884 times
I am about to relocate to Tucson this week and am wondering if the majority of murders are in a certain area, and if so, what streets are the borders of those bad areas?

Old 03-29-2008, 03:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,197,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgisthe1 View Post
I am about to relocate to Tucson this week and am wondering if the majority of murders are in a certain area, and if so, what streets are the borders of those bad areas?
Guess every city forum should have a list of FAQ pinned up on top of the page...

http://tpdinternet.tucsonaz.gov/UCR/...05allcrime.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson