Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:03 PM

9,542 posts, read 16,559,797 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry to hear of this loss in your life. I had looked at a number of retirement publications and Tucson is mentioned in all of them with a list of other communities in the USA. However what caught my eye with Tucson was in a publication 2 years ago that had a clause in the Tuscon information. It read, If you are considering Tucson for retirement, Tucson's crime rate is very high. This publication listed a number of smaller big cities and towns in the USA and Tucson and Phoenix both had this clause at the end of the artice. The other communities listed such as Austin, Tallahassee, Asheville, Raleigh, Sacramento all had crime listed, but the Arizona cities were listed for retirees to take special notice of these 2 cities crime rates and type of crimes reported.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 AM

522 posts, read 1,570,742 times
Quote:
If you hate Chicago so much, leave and quit biting the hand that is feeding you. Millions of people will disagree with your OPINIONS about the quality of life in Chicago.
Well, let's see, I've lived here 51 years. Born and grew up here. As I have said before, I don't like it, I have my thoughts and opinions about it and I think the area stinks and has self centered people, etc. "I" means my opinion. Your statements are your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, or has that been taken away from us too along with free speech?

Quote:
I venture to guess that over half the young adults who grew up in the Midwest, and a large number from around the country and the world would give anything to live in a CHEAP alpha city. Yes, Chicago is the cheapest alpha city - compare it with other cities on the list I gave you, not that it matters as you probably haven't visited any other alpha city. For the record, I've spent considerable time in all of them. Now go live a little, grow up, and maybe you'll have more perspective in several years.
And "CHEAP" is a relitive term. There is nothing here that is cheap. It would cost almost $100 (including parking) to bring my family of 5 to a museum, almost the same to go to Brookfield Zoo. They have eliminated free days which were the only days that normal people could afford to go. Property taxes, like many other of your "ALPHA" cities are unreasonably high. Housing here is also unreasonable. The pay scale here is higher than other places because you could not survive if they paid the same as elsewhere.

But you, like some others here, profess to know everything about everywhere. And you seem to think that everyone that dissagrees with you sees the grass greener on the other side of the fence and has no basis for theit opinions.

If Chicago is so great, why do you live in Michigan? And for that matter, If you don't live in Tucson and don't plan on moving there why are you on the forum? What is it that you think you can contribute to help anyone?

I am on this forum so that I can learn things about the city from people that actually live, have lived or have experience from visiting there.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:14 AM

529 posts, read 2,396,905 times
Housing prices are becoming more reasonable now sickofIL and if you do end moving here I think you would love it. Lots of outdoor activities for you and the kids, just a drive away from several destinations, and better weather (in my opinion ).

This post has gotten a little off topic so let's agree to disagree on a few points and let the original poster's story be the main topic.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:19 AM

522 posts, read 1,570,742 times
Your right, thanks.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM

9 posts, read 43,557 times
Default Agreed

This discussion has gotten very off topic. It sickens me to just see people arguing over pure opinions and skewed "facts". As I have said before, I just wanted to post this to let people know about the heinous escalation in the homicide rate so far this year in Tucson. We don't need to be arguing over the causes for this...that won't change a damn thing, and it won't solve it. If it is the appearance of the neighborhoods, the drugs, the lack of a good educational system, or the gang activity in Tucson the only way to solve Tucson's problem (and hence OUR problem) is to come together as a community to push for change. If you don't live here, stop trying to compare Tucson to other cities in this country. This may sound rude, but if you don't live here now, you don't know jack. I don't care if you loved it 10 or 20 years ago, but I can imagine that you wouldn't like it so much anymore. I try not to make assumptions about other cities that I haven't lived...I know what is going on in Tucson in 2008 is unlike anything I've experienced in any other city/country I have lived in. If you don't plan on moving here, or don't already live here, I don't see the need for you to post like you can explain what this town is going through. If you plan on visiting, great. I was born and raised in Arizona, and I've had degenerative arthritis since I was 15, so I enjoy the warm weather. I love the diverse habitats - no it's not just desert here. If you're visiting you will love it, unless you have a fear of snakes, scorpions, spiders, or other could-be-frightening wildlife. All I ask is that if you are planning on moving here, do your research. The cheaper housing in areas DOES come with a price; it isn't going to affect your bank account, but it could affect your life in a serious way. And it isn't just homicides, my place of business (right on a very busy street) was broken into AND set on fire in the past month. Look at your options and take a serious, hard look. I'm not telling you that anywhere else will be "safer". Safe is a relative word. Tucson isn't made up of one bad area, though, it is distributed pretty evenly around the city - for those of you who asked.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:07 PM

514 posts, read 1,443,133 times
Very sad.I'm sorry for your loss.Luckly i live outside of town and hope i never have to deal with that.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:38 AM

602 posts, read 2,067,127 times
ILMTR,

I appreciate your honest talk, and I'm sorry for your loss. I don't doubt for a second the seriousness of what's going on there.

I disagree with what you wrote here, however:

Quote:
We don't need to be arguing over the causes for this...that won't change a damn thing, and it won't solve it.
If you have any hope of solving a problem, you must first understand the cause of it, so I'm interested in the cause of the increase of violence and crime. Obviously something's changed over the last ten years, and there must be a greater criminal presence in Tucson now.

Seems that one of three things must have happened; a) formerly law abiding people turned bad and now commit heinous crimes; b) criminals new to Tucson have arrived and are wreaking havoc; c) law abiding Tucsonans moved out, while criminals moved in.

Option A seems really unlikely, so where are all these new criminals coming from? Why is Tucson a magnet for them?

Troubling stuff, but I'm moving there nonetheless next month.

Last edited by azhiker; 04-15-2008 at 06:53 AM..

Old 04-15-2008, 09:05 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,248,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhiker View Post
Seems that one of three things must have happened; a) formerly law abiding people turned bad and now commit heinous crimes; b) criminals new to Tucson have arrived and are wreaking havoc; c) law abiding Tucsonans moved out, while criminals moved in.

Option A seems really unlikely, so where are all these new criminals coming from? Why is Tucson a magnet for them?
Well, I'm not planning to start or participate in an immigration war, but Tucson IS awfully close to the border. It's a well-known fact that there are problems associated with it.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 AM

602 posts, read 2,067,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, I'm not planning to start or participate in an immigration war, but Tucson IS awfully close to the border. It's a well-known fact that there are problems associated with it.
Occam's Razor seems to apply here, but I hear ya.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:16 AM

9 posts, read 43,557 times
azhiker,

I'm not blind to the fact that to solve a problem you first must understand what that problem is, or eliminate other possibilities to work back to an initial source...remember, I was a student of science for many years. I was simply stating ARGUING about what is the causes are (and most people only mention ONE cause, when it is likely several factors that play a part) will not solve anything. Arguing about your opinion of what causes violence is okay for brainstorming ideas, but ineffective for creating change. There are many factors that play into one another, and people should remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson