Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:49 AM

2,567 posts, read 2,231,237 times

Advertisements

It's also a big "FU" to both Left Coasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 11:09 AM

16,410 posts, read 30,368,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Answers to your four "questions":

1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
4. "Their deal" is that "they"/we live in America, which has the Second Amendment, which has given the right of the people to keep and bear arms, and so we do.

It says thus:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

When you need police assistance in seconds, they are only minutes away.

In the western states, it is NOT uncommon that the closest law enforcement official might be 20-40 miles away. Therefore, people assume the responsibility for their own security.

Honestly, I have seen a lot more weapons working in the cities of Detroit and St. Louis (illegal in most cases) than I have seen in nearly five years in Arizona.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:14 AM

26 posts, read 30,319 times
Hi Sueisme
My wife and I are both 60ish and live in Eagle Creek Oregon near Sandy or Estacada. We recently bought a home in Green Valley Arizona. I am an Oregon native , my wife is from Riverside California ,but has lived in Oregon since 1991. We are part of the conservative fringe in Oregon, in that we still carry handguns when we ride our horses in remote areas, but we don't open carry in public unless we have just ridden in.That's my words for us on the gun issue. We like that AZ is a red state right now but that is not why we chose to buy here. In the winter we want warmer weather for aching bones and old lungs. We love the Mexican culture ,food and flare. We liked Green valley straight away because of the community, the GVR, The Santa Ritas .Close enough to Tucson to get away from it.
We also have a place in Surfside, Ocean Park Washington where we will Summer and I can still catch the fall razor clam tides and surf perch!
I really love both places and combined the two properties were less expensive than one single family home in Portland!
Three more years and we will be selling our farm in Oregon for this new lifestyle! Look at Green Valley or even Sahurita, we were on the hunt for 3 years before we settled

Old 06-03-2018, 11:15 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,086,132 times
Open carry is the equivalent of an obnoxious bumper sticker on a rig. Open carry is really important for some people, and they like expressing their opinion in public. Really not any different than bumper stickers.

I did spend lots of time in Portland. For twenty-five years I was probably in town every two or three months for a week or so. Prior to gentrification there was LOTS of gunfire in the Lloyd Center area. I stayed at the Residence Inn and always asked for a inside courtyard room, due to it being a bit quieter at night for sleeping. However, after several shootings I really wanted that inside room for safety!! The worst one was a murder on the street right in front of the Residence Inn.

Yeah, I thought about carrying for the first and only time in my life.

Portland and Tucson are two very different communities. I like them both. It would be sad to see Tucson being Portland and probably even sadder for Portland to become Tucson.

That is my comment to the original poster. If your want Portland in Tucson, buy in a gated community. That way you minimize your gentrification effects on the local community.

Don’t ruin Tucson by changing it to Portland.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:43 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,891,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

Portland and Tucson are two very different communities. I like them both. It would be sad to see Tucson being Portland and probably even sadder for Portland to become Tucson.

Don’t ruin Tucson by changing it to Portland.

This.

In my 11+ years of participating here on CDF, I think the most frustrating type of post I see would be from folks who move from one place to a quite different place in a quite different state, and then post sad plaintive comments like "How come I can't find good bagels in Rapid City?" or "I moved from Anchorage to Phoenix and it's so-oooo *hot*!!"

The secret is to take your new city and state as it is, and not try and change it to the city you left. You want to leave for a reason! Whether there's a Whole Paycheck in Tucson should be the least of anyone's worries.

Old 06-03-2018, 04:43 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,086,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Living in a state that doesn't have open carry, I have never seen anyone open carry, even though I've been to Oregon and Arizona but must have not noticed before. How do they typically open carry their firearms, is it in a holster at their hips like the cowboy movies?
What state do you live in??

I believe almost all states out west are open carry.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:11 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,933,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Answers to your four "questions":

1. No.
2. No.
3. No.
4. "Their deal" is that "they"/we live in America, which has the Second Amendment, which has given the right of the people to keep and bear arms, and so we do.

It says thus:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Hmmmm...so does that mean all these gun carrying individuals belong to a "well regulated Militia"? Not trying to start an argument but I hadn't heard that we have such a thing in AZ. I could be wrong...

I honestly have not heard anyone say that people shouldn't be allowed to own/carry guns. I think we all agree that it's not a horrible evil thing. But the people I know do like the idea of people who aren't supposed to have them don't. Sure, I know that will NEVER be completely realized and, yes, "criminals will have guns when law abiding citizens don't", but I think that's already a fact. So, what to do?

Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 AM

84 posts, read 57,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
What state do you live in??

I believe almost all states out west are open carry.
As of January 1, 2012, according to California open carry laws under California Penal Code 26350 PC, it is a crime to openly carry any firearm in public, even if the gun is unloaded. It's almost impossible to get a concealed carry permit also.
Will hopefully be out of Kalifornia in a couple more years ourselves.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:07 AM

132 posts, read 342,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDSALMON2 View Post
Hi Sueisme
My wife and I are both 60ish and live in Eagle Creek Oregon near Sandy or Estacada. We recently bought a home in Green Valley Arizona. I am an Oregon native , my wife is from Riverside California ,but has lived in Oregon since 1991. We are part of the conservative fringe in Oregon, in that we still carry handguns when we ride our horses in remote areas, but we don't open carry in public unless we have just ridden in.That's my words for us on the gun issue. We like that AZ is a red state right now but that is not why we chose to buy here. In the winter we want warmer weather for aching bones and old lungs. We love the Mexican culture ,food and flare. We liked Green valley straight away because of the community, the GVR, The Santa Ritas .Close enough to Tucson to get away from it.
We also have a place in Surfside, Ocean Park Washington where we will Summer and I can still catch the fall razor clam tides and surf perch!
I really love both places and combined the two properties were less expensive than one single family home in Portland!
Three more years and we will be selling our farm in Oregon for this new lifestyle! Look at Green Valley or even Sahurita, we were on the hunt for 3 years before we settled
Thanks for responding. It's great to hear different perspectives. How great to have both places -- and clams!

Old 06-04-2018, 09:10 AM

132 posts, read 342,150 times
Goodness. This thread has turned from helpful to something less so. I am so incredibly not interested in having my OP devolve into something not helpful.

I've loved hearing all the helpful feedback. Thank you to everyone who has responded and offered their helpful viewpoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson