Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,571,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Marcy -

As someone who grew up as an Air Force Brat and spent half his childhood years living on military bases in Europe during the height of the Cold War I have to say it still startles me read things like "stationed in Papa, Hungary at the new NATO base". Though I know intellectually that Hungary is part of NATO now, viscerally it still seems a bit unreal.

My, how the world has changed.

Ken
Ken, you'd really be surprised then just how much Hungary has changed. While most in Budapest speak English, the town of Papa was strictly Hungarian until 3 years ago when NATO narrowed down its' European search to the airfield in Papa for the new base. There still isn't a base, per se, just runways that are now paved, some administrative buildings and a couple of hangars. But, the town itself has changed so much. Everyone is trying hard to please the Americans (although there are Swedes, Norwegians, Dutch, Germans, Italians, etc. there) that they are learning English, they have an English only web site, the hotels and restaurants have "kiddie" menus a la American restaurants, pizza is served everywhere, American music and movies are played, and the news on TV has lots of American stories. When the locals found out the Americans were coming, they modernized their houses with jetted bathtubs, walk in showers, gourmet kitchens with stainless steel appliances, and more so the Americans would rent their homes. It was unreal. As with a lot of older European cities, generations would live in the same house, but these same families started listing their homes with local Papa realtors for the Americans to rent. I don't know where they went after renting their homes out, but they're making a lot of money off the Americans.

From Wikipedia: Papa, Hungary....

""On 18 November 2007, Pápa Air Base was selected to host 3 NATO C-17 Globemaster III transport aircraft of the future Heavy Airlift Wing which was activated in 2009. This is expected to create 500 jobs in the area. Papa was also host to a major rock and roll concert on 21 November 2009, given by the great US Air Force(USAF)Rock Band TOUCH 'N GO, regarded as the best rock band in the USAF.""

Yup, the world has changed! And this is about jets! The C-17 Globemaster III is one of the biggest. I have a hard time imagining my son in law flying them as easily as he does. One from Altus AFB will be at the Air Show this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:51 PM

602 posts, read 2,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No, I didn't miss the point. You've clearly missed what the point should be. But since you put veterans in the same sentence with "murdering," enjoy the mountains while you can. Pardon me if I continue to believe that I served to help keep that enjoyment possible.
Yeah, I was hoping that was a typo when I read it. Just wow, if not.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No, I didn't miss the point. You've clearly missed what the point should be. But since you put veterans in the same sentence with "murdering," enjoy the mountains while you can. Pardon me if I continue to believe that I served to help keep that enjoyment possible.

Mod Cut: Personal
Yeah, that's a pretty strong word. I hope that was written in haste and was not well thought out. Otherwise, oh boy, wow.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 PM

117 posts, read 286,811 times
So how many of you haters went to the air show this weekend... or stopped to watch the demonstration jets fly overhead in formation?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 PM

7 posts, read 13,059 times
Default Another movie y'all might not have heard of...

...that was the first HD movie filmed entirely in Tucson was made a few years ago - "America 101". Mod Cut: No links with less than 10 posts.
It's a funny film that makes you think about illegal immigration from different angles.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 PM

7 posts, read 13,059 times
We took a pass on the air show this weekend. Hubby just retired from the AF a few months ago and we've been to more air shows than I can count.

Did you go, polo? Anyone else?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPuebloGal View Post
We took a pass on the air show this weekend. Hubby just retired from the AF a few months ago and we've been to more air shows than I can count.

Did you go, polo? Anyone else?
I went. Wore my 58th Airlift Squadron Shirt. Took lots of pictures, sent them to son-in-law in Hungary (he yawned--he flies C-17's for a living, trained the three crews that were here, and knows some of the older Thunderbird pilots...) and had a wonderful time! It was by far the largest Thunderbird's air show I've been to, and I've been to a lot all over the country. More displays than I've ever seen at one air show. I had a wonderful time.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 PM

117 posts, read 286,811 times
Yeah, I went Saturday and it was PACKED! The air show was great and the static planes were endless. The Tbirds havent been here for over 3 years... its good to get them back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson