Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:32 PM

8 posts, read 39,522 times

Advertisements

THAT helps MY decision out a lot as well! As stated in a previous post, I am moving to Tucson from Wyoming. Believe me...When a state is so freakin cold that a 50 degree day brings people out in droves? It's too frickin cold! The heat is something I and my wife both look forward to. The dryness is necessary for her health, and the cost of living (Based on rentals, groceries, and gas prices) are better than here (Small town Wyoming). The wages for the job markets I am involved in are actually higher than what I earn here, and the health care in Tucson seems incredible by comparison. I am sick of having to drive 120 miles just to go to Wal Mart, and Wyoming's seasons are as follows - winter, fall, winter, and 4th of July.

Seriously - This thread has been very insightful. Thanks

Old 04-28-2007, 01:21 AM

57 posts, read 292,472 times
This is easy. I don't know if 10 reasons is enough not to move here, but here's a few of the reasons why my family and I are leaving Tucson:

1 - Increasing segregation against the non-spanish speaking population. Which goes hand in hand with...
2 - Horrible illegal immigrant problem
3 - #4 in the country according to CNN - property crime and vandalism
4 - #6 in the country according to CNN - drug-related and gang related crime and violence
5 - Worst schools in the country, education here is a joke
6 - Housing prices WAY out of control and in no way comes close to being commensurate with...
7 - One of the lowest paying areas in the country. There are a few worthwhile employers if you're an engineer or in the medical profession, but that's it.
8 - Primitive road system is a cruel joke. There is no such thing as an easy way around town. And god forbid there be an accident on the interstate, that clogs up the town for hours.
9 - Not being able to go out of doors between the hours of 9am and 8 pm 6 months out of the year due to the heat. 3rd degree burns are common just for touching a steering wheel or seat belt, or falling on the asphalt.
10 - Water and utilities are steadily increasing, with water being a real problem that is not being addressed. The water level is already below the "Uh oh" level and is still decreasing (but hey, the city made a deal to get cheap water to the golf courses, so that helps. *snicker* ).
11 - Having to watch for every poisonous snake, spider, and scorpion in the world isn't much fun on those occasions where you can safely venture outdoors, and way too often those critters make their ways into your home.
12 - Not much to do. It's not a diverse place if you don't like to hike or eat Mexican food (which there is some of the best I've ever had here, I'll say that), or hit one of the few bars or clubs here (if you're in to that).

I'm sure there's much more, but it's late and those were the first ones that popped into my head. Tucson's a slum for the most part, unless you can afford foothills living. I can't wait to leave, to be honest, and neither can my wife. Stay away!

Old 04-28-2007, 10:47 AM

942 posts, read 1,393,608 times
I have been to Tucson a few times, and yes it does have some nice weather, hot as it can be for several months, the rest of the year, is some of the best. I don't understand though why people get upset at the realities of places though, its not knocking the place its just being realistic, and one has to be if they are moving someplace new. The above post just said what it is, as it is, it was true and complete, there is nothing wrong with that. Pick up any retirement relocation book that is giving all the facts and the cons will immediately head to how high the crime is and a few will state why. I have also read, unless one is able to afford living in these more affluent areas, they may find it unsettling elsewhere in Tuscson. So there is nothing wrong with admitting personality traits of a place are not in your best interest, and it may be just a place to spend some time during a winter vacation.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:03 PM

401 posts, read 2,605,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOTIM View Post
We Are Considering Moving To Tucson From Ohio
I Need 10 Good (legit) Reasons Why We Should Not
I Will Respect Your Opinions
Tucson kinda stinks. The weather is great and the mountains are beautiful but Phoenix has wayyyy more to do and is much more of a city feel. Tucson seems like an wild-west cowboy town. Really there is nothing besides U of A. Phoenix>Tucson

Old 05-07-2007, 10:57 AM

23 posts, read 86,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
This is easy. I don't know if 10 reasons is enough not to move here, but here's a few of the reasons why my family and I are leaving Tucson:

1 - Increasing segregation against the non-spanish speaking population. Which goes hand in hand with...
4 - #6 in the country according to CNN - drug-related and gang related crime and violence
6 - Housing prices WAY out of control and in no way comes close to being commensurate with...
7 - One of the lowest paying areas in the country. There are a few worthwhile employers if you're an engineer or in the medical profession, but that's it.
8 - Primitive road system is a cruel joke. There is no such thing as an easy way around town. And god forbid there be an accident on the interstate, that clogs up the town for hours.
9 - Not being able to go out of doors between the hours of 9am and 8 pm 6 months out of the year due to the heat. 3rd degree burns are common just for touching a steering wheel or seat belt, or falling on the asphalt.
10 - Water and utilities are steadily increasing, with water being a real problem that is not being addressed. The water level is already below the "Uh oh" level and is still decreasing (but hey, the city made a deal to get cheap water to the golf courses, so that helps. *snicker* ).
11 - Having to watch for every poisonous snake, spider, and scorpion in the world isn't much fun on those occasions where you can safely venture outdoors, and way too often those critters make their ways into your home.
12 - Not much to do. It's not a diverse place if you don't like to hike or eat Mexican food (which there is some of the best I've ever had here, I'll say that), or hit one of the few bars or clubs here (if you're in to that).

I'm sure there's much more, but it's late and those were the first ones that popped into my head. Tucson's a slum for the most part, unless you can afford foothills living. I can't wait to leave, to be honest, and neither can my wife. Stay away!
^^^^^Of course these are only personal opinions.
I'll counter.

1. There is no segregation against english speakers. Being bi-lingual is an advantage to most Americans, no matter where you live. A huge plus in the buisness world.
2. Horrible immigrant problem? Phoenix has more illegal immigrants than Tucson per/capita. Tucson is not on the border, but in fact on the corridor going to other cities in the U.S.
3 & 4. Tucson has added more law enforcement in the area. Working to solve this problem.
5. TUSD has some schools in their lower end areas in town. Which city doesn't have problems?
6. Compared to other cities (Phoenix, Vegas, San Diego, LA) in the West? Prices have dropped dramatically in the last 3 months.
7. Nonsense. Try living in California.
8. Why build a sprawling freeway? The Eastside to the Northwest side part of town is the only part of town where this problem exists.
9. Heat? Try living in Phoenix or Vegas. Take a 25 minute drive to MT. Lemmon if 97 degrees kills you.
10. Utility bills are rising all over the country
11. ?
12. Maybe you should have moved to LA or NY, if you or your wife wanted club excitement. Tucson is 2 hours from Phx, 3 1/2 hours from the resort city of Rocky Point,Mexico, and 4-5 hours from San Diego (perfect location for weekend trips). I hope you find your ideal place (Disneyland, Magic Mountain), but Tucson is a very diverse city and a great city to live in.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 PM

19 posts, read 214,853 times
To Everyone Who Has Written In

Has Not Been Enough To Make A Decision
Still 50/50 On Whether Or Not We Really Want To Come To Tucson

I Need Something To Put Me Over The Line One Way Or Another

Old 05-11-2007, 07:29 AM

51 posts, read 193,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post

All the things you listed, well most of them, occur in most cities in this country. The town I live in is mosty hispanic immigrants, I am the outsider here. Illegal immigrants everywhere, not just AZ. School systems around the country are becoming worse and worse. The system does not work anymore and everywhere it needs to change...involvment of communities and parents is one way to improve the schools. As far as nothing to do, that is what you as a person make of it. I always found tons of things to do but I think you have to motivated to find those things. The road system through out the country is a joke. They where never designed to handle the sort of trafficthat occurs today. More and more areas are turning to desinging better public transportation to help with this. I never concerned myself with constantly watching out for critters. Never came across one in my time being there. Housing prices way out of control,lol! I laugh because have you ever living in a major city, NY, LA, etc.?!! Want to talk about out of control prices come here...and out of control taxes come here too. Water, we have had, from what I remember, in the past five years 3 of them we had water shortages...go figure. So all the things you mentioned, for the most part, occur all through out the country. It is just a matter of what you want in a place and obviously you don't like the desert.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:51 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:

Not for nothing, but you seem to want other people to make this decision for you. All others can do is provide you with some information, but no matter how thorough that information is, eventually YOU are the one who has to make the decision.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:28 PM

942 posts, read 1,393,608 times
I think you have to consider where people live when they respond to the question you asked on this topic. The opinions can range greatly, and that is to be expected and understandable. Try figuring out what area you might be living in, as too how it will fit in your lifestyle. I can tell you if your not one that wants to drive and drive all over a metro area, then Tuscon or the sunbelt is not for you. There is alot of crime there for such a small metro area, its not exactly a place with numerous suburbs like other regions, so crime seems to center around Tucson. There is nothing disrespectful to the local population, if some don't like things in Tucson and some do. Your moving half way across the country to a place that has absolutely no comparison to your home. It is a very rural part of the country, and life centers around Tucson for your daily needs. As anywhere the higher end areas are the safest and the most desirable, alot of Tucson is not higher end, the salaries would not accomodate that. That is what I mean when you ask people if they like Tucson and give you a list of things, try to know what part of Tucson they live in, and I can guarantee you, it will have an affect on how they like the area.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:33 PM

6 posts, read 53,254 times
Default Tucson or not Tucson...

Quote:

Every place will have its pro's and con's for sure. For me, moving to Tucson isn't all about what it has to offer, how entertained I'll be, or how endangered I'll be by criminals.

Maybe you could change the parameters of your decision... Commit to living in Tucson for five years, and then decide if you want to stay or try another place.

I made the unlikely move from San Francisco to Tampa four years ago, and sure, in some ways it is very disappointing here, but I succeeded in my objectives, learned what I wanted/needed to learn, and now I'm ready for the next city.

I look forward to discovering Tucson.

-David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson