Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:02 PM

522 posts, read 1,573,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In my 20+ years in the United States (out of which this last year was in Tucson) I finally had my 1st racist experience. Yes, here in Tucson. This town is stuck in the past...pretty lame...
Yes, this is still everywhere. We are still in the western Chicago suburbs ans we experience this daily. My wife is Brazilian but most thisk she is Mexican and treat her as such. She is in nursing school now and is going through hell because the teachers discriminate openly. It really stinks!

Quote:
This description reads more like an indictment than an endorsement.

Translation = If you are old, uninteresting, uneducated, unambitious, wiling to work for very low wages, and not trying to make any impact on the world whatsoever, Tucson is perfect for you.
You know, when people respond like this many times they are mirroring themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 03:50 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,378,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
Yes, this is still everywhere. We are still in the western Chicago suburbs ans we experience this daily. My wife is Brazilian but most thisk she is Mexican and treat her as such. She is in nursing school now and is going through hell because the teachers discriminate openly. It really stinks!
There should be a way to make sure these "teachers" lose their jobs. There is no place for this kind of behavior in America. Perhaps your wife should take a recording device into the classroom. Ridiculous to put up with numbskulls like that.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,993,418 times
Quote:
You know, when people respond like this many times they are mirroring themselves.
Just like those who criticize IL or the Chicago or Chicago suburban areas.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,250,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Just like those who criticize IL or the Chicago or Chicago suburban areas.
And what does that have to do with Tucson? I sure as hell do not head over to the Illinois Forum and put down the people for living there-------never mind I would not live in a true '4 season' climate for any reason.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 PM

522 posts, read 1,573,665 times
[quote]ust like those who criticize IL or the Chicago or Chicago suburban areas./QUOTE]

I don't criticize IL or Chicago, I have stated my opinions. IL and Chicago are what they are and Tucson is what it is. I've also stated that if you really want to know what Tucson is like you should visit.

I don't state that IL and Chicago is bad or the people are old, uninteresting, uneducated, unambitious etc. I have just stated that I do not like the weather and I don't like the way the general populous acts towards others and I don't like the unreasonably high property taxes or housing.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:32 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,338,684 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Translation = If you are old, uninteresting, uneducated, unambitious, wiling to work for very low wages, and not trying to make any impact on the world whatsoever, Tucson is perfect for you.
These aren't my words friend. I am only responding to Alexus who stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Tucson is what it is. You don't go there expecting to start some high powered corporate career or submerge yourself in the cutting edge of technological advancement. It's not a place of high finance where you can butt heads with leaders of industry and have your hands on the most influential monetary decisions affecting the biggest financial institutions in this country. It's not a place where you will see celebrities as a matter of course, or a city where celebrities prefer to live like Aspen,CO. It's schools are not among the best in the nation, and being close to the Mexican border, illegal immigration and its associated problems are ever abundant in the city.
The message there is pretty clear. If you want to make a difference, live an interesting life and be a leader in your field, then Tucson is not for you. Her words are pretty plain spoken and hard to misinterpret.

Look, I know you are struggling with life in Chicago. You have complained about it many times. Chicago is the big city. It's competitive. It's full of overachievers. It's tough to excel there unless you are a well-educated professional and ready to lead. It's pretty obvious to anyone who has followed this forum that you are better suited to live in Tucson. That's fine. I don't begrudge you for wanting to live somewhere that you will never
Quote:
start some high powered corporate career or submerge yourself in the cutting edge of technological advancement.
Good for you. Nobody should hold it against you because you are willing to move your children where the
Quote:
schools are not among the best in the nation
After all, your kids will likely develop their sense of purpose from you. And it's obvious that they won't need the best education to live up to your expectations. Perfect! You will fit right in in Tucson.

But please don't take it upon yourself to judge me for thinking that accepting mediocrity is not okay. I like working for a multinational firm that requires me to lead. It's interesting. It's actually kind of fun to be honest. The opportunity to do that doesn't exist in Tucson. Tucson "is what it is" after all.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,338,684 times
Quote:
Yes, this is still everywhere. We are still in the western Chicago suburbs ans we experience this daily. My wife is Brazilian but most thisk she is Mexican and treat her as such. She is in nursing school now and is going through hell because the teachers discriminate openly. It really stinks!.
While we may not agree on the virtues of Tucson and we might exchange barbs from time to time, we absolutely agree on this point. This is completely unacceptable. Your wife should not face discrimination in the classroom for any reason.

With all sincerity, if you need to speak with an excellent attorney in Chicago about this please send me a private message. I know several and I will be more than happy to connect you with one. Nobody in America should be judged on anything other than their merits.

I hope things work out for both of you.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 PM

23,405 posts, read 29,297,752 times
Quote:

Tucson may be more of a city of the future than you give it credit for.

What's the future for our entire country?

Any number of Tucson's spread out all over this country today, as we become, increasingly and rapidly, a third world country.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:48 PM

95 posts, read 308,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Tucson may be more of a city of the future than you give it credit for.

What's the future for our entire country?

Any number of Tucson's spread out all over this country today, as we become, increasingly and rapidly, a third world country.
I agree. Years ago you needed to go to LA or New York. Last year New York City had negative population growth, and people are leaving California.

So what worked in the past probably might not in the future, and with the internet, eBay and cheap telephone service I'm not sure if you couldn't run a successful, cutting edge business from just about anywhere.

I'm in the music business in Hawaii, and I do know that Linda Ronstadt and world class bassist Brian Bromberg both came from Tucson so I'm not sure if I agree with the "old, uninteresting, uneducated, unambitious, willing to work for very low wages" description of Tucson.

You could say that about Hawaii, there's people like that everywhere.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 AM

422 posts, read 1,275,381 times
Quote:

So, you have met every single resident of Tucson and concluded that we are all old, uninteresting, uneducated, unambitious, working for low wages and not trying to impact the world (or any combination of the above)?Mod Cut: Personal. Just by looking at the amount of your previous relocations, how much time will it take before you start inflating Denver's negatives?With your arrogant attitude I doubt that any city will be good enough for you in the long run.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 01-25-2010 at 10:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson