Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:13 PM

54 posts, read 203,003 times

Advertisements

I am fairly new to Tucson but, I have my pros and cons
Pros
It is not Arkansas! (where I lived last)
The weather is pretty awesome (yet to see my first summer)
The U of A
Huge city with small town feel
Huge selection of great food
Tons of shopping
Old Tucson Studios
The Mountains (I love seeing them everyday)
People seem pretty friendly
Phoenix is just an hour and a half away where you can find anything you need that isnt in Tucson

Cons
Driving it seems people here dont realize the is a fast lane (driving under the speed limit in the left lane)
School Funding is pretty crappy, (marana school district is giving tons of "pink" slips
Tax rate seems pretty high especially for a state with the lotttery
Crime/Illegals seems everyday you here about a shooting or illegal alien bust

Overall I absolutely love it here so far and hope I continue to do so!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,612,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBound? View Post
I am fairly new to Tucson but, I have my pros and cons
Pros
It is not Arkansas! (where I lived last)
The weather is pretty awesome (yet to see my first summer)
The U of A
Huge city with small town feel
Huge selection of great food
Tons of shopping
Old Tucson Studios
The Mountains (I love seeing them everyday)
People seem pretty friendly
Phoenix is just an hour and a half away where you can find anything you need that isnt in Tucson

Cons
Driving it seems people here dont realize the is a fast lane (driving under the speed limit in the left lane)
School Funding is pretty crappy, (marana school district is giving tons of "pink" slips
Tax rate seems pretty high especially for a state with the lotttery
Crime/Illegals seems everyday you here about a shooting or illegal alien bust

Overall I absolutely love it here so far and hope I continue to do so!
Glad you like Tucson and I hope you keep liking it more and more as the years go by.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:37 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,612,164 times
I heard today that Arizona passed a law that allows people to have guns on their person without a permit. I also heard that people can bring guns into bars. Are there that many people that feel they need guns to go about their daily business in Arizona? Besides the bars are guns allowed in many public places? Thanks.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:42 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,605,880 times
Gov. Brewer signed a law today that allows for concealed weapons without a permit. We're the 3rd state in the Union to have that law. I would guess, although I could be wrong, that if the weapon's concealed, it can pretty much go anywhere. Alcohol and guns. That should help lower the crime rate.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:56 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,650,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Gov. Brewer signed a law today that allows for concealed weapons without a permit. We're the 3rd state in the Union to have that law. I would guess, although I could be wrong, that if the weapon's concealed, it can pretty much go anywhere. Alcohol and guns. That should help lower the crime rate.
Well whether or not the gun is concealed is not so much the issue as guns used to kill are most often guns that are stolen and bought off the street.
Gang bangers and drug dealers don't often go and get a permit to own a gun and then buy it legally to use in their crimes.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:11 AM

38 posts, read 149,935 times
Quote:
Not familiar with the bill?

You cannot carry a firearm while consuming alcohol, concealed or not.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:53 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,811,183 times
Also - San Diego is a 6 hour drive away!

Old 04-17-2010, 03:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,981,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I heard today that Arizona passed a law that allows people to have guns on their person without a permit. I also heard that people can bring guns into bars. Are there that many people that feel they need guns to go about their daily business in Arizona? Besides the bars are guns allowed in many public places? Thanks.
Quote:
the law allows law abiding citizens to carry concealed without a permit anywhere, except bars and restaurants where alcohol is served, and of course in the court buildings. if you want to carry a firearm in a place where alcohol is served, you must have a permit, and you must carry concealed iirc. the reason the law was passed is not because of the crime rate, but as a jab at the federal government, basically telling the feds that arizonas idea of gun control is how many rounds you can put in the ten ring. arizona has always had an open carry law where if you are allowed to own a firearm legally, you can carry it out in the open, again except in bars and restaurants where alcohol is sold, and the court buildings.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:29 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,605,880 times
I said I could be wrong. I don't get why people need concealed weapons in the first place unless you're in some form of law enforcement. In Colorado, we have a "Make My Day" law where you can shoot anyone entering your home by force if you feel threatened by the person or persons entering, regardless of their intent. I don't get that law, either.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:41 PM

38 posts, read 149,935 times
Quote:
I said I could be wrong. I don't get why people need concealed weapons in the first place unless you're in some form of law enforcement. In Colorado, we have a "Make My Day" law where you can shoot anyone entering your home by force if you feel threatened by the person or persons entering, regardless of their intent. I don't get that law, either.
How many people enter your home by force with good intentions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson