Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times

Advertisements

If you're private like you say you are, then you really won't have any issues. If someone asks you about Church, then just say you're agnostic. I don't think that many people will ask anyway. I've lived nearly my entire life in Texas and have yet to hear very many people at all ask me what Church I go to unless we happen to be discussing Church. Yes, Tyler is a traditionally very Christian town, but it does have its share of alternative religions and as far as I know, it always has. I don't live in Tyler, but my Grandma does and my Grandpa (before he died) But I've been going there nearly every summer since I was about 7 yrs. old. And they don't live in town, they live in South Tyler, pretty far out in the country close to Mineola and Lindale as well. And in her own words, it doesn't matter what anyone does in their own home as long as they don't attack one of me or my own. And I'm sure that could go for anyone in the whole state native or transplant. And from the sound of it, I don't think TexasReb meant anything mean towards you, I think he was probably referring to someone else. I also feel like I shouldn't have to apologize for the way Texans believe, but I will also respect what someone else who is a prospective resident believes. And we can do that without fighting and nitpicking each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 05:39 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
And from the sound of it, I don't think TexasReb meant anything mean towards you, I think he was probably referring to someone else. I also feel like I shouldn't have to apologize for the way Texans believe, but I will also respect what someone else who is a prospective resident believes. And we can do that without fighting and nitpicking each other.
Thank you Love Roses! You are correct and I wasn't really referring to any individual in particular. And I am sorry if I came across unduly harsh. But I do get irritated when a certain type feel the need to apologize for Texas and those others who move in and seem to constantly find fault even though they don't mind our milk and honey! That was all, and I meant to offence to anybody individually, although I don't apologize for expressing my feelings otherwise!

Anyway, time to get to work! Y'all all have a good one!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 AM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Thank you Love Roses! You are correct and I wasn't really referring to any individual in particular. And I am sorry if I came across unduly harsh. But I do get irritated when a certain type feel the need to apologize for Texas and those others who move in and seem to constantly find fault even though they don't mind our milk and honey! That was all, and I meant to offence to anybody individually, although I don't apologize for expressing my feelings otherwise!

Believe it or not...I consider myself a conservative Christian in my beliefs...but I've never believed in putting my beliefs on someone else. Likewise I don't think you should try to put your beliefs on me. That's all I mean. I don't want to offend anyone either. I just believe that we need to be welcoming. I don't want to go away from here with enemies...just friends.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:34 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Yes, just avoid conversations. I am a social liberal who goes to a conservative Christian church. No one really bugs me about changing me even though my church members know of my liberal views and Democrat/liberal friends know of my conservative church. Most people believe in live and let live--unless you pressure them to change.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 AM

13 posts, read 76,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

I'm sorry if I come across as defensive. As it stands, I'm the only one in this thread asking about whether my family will feel welcome in Tyler, so I guess it was natural for me to assume that folks in the thread were responding to me and not just ranting out loud about a certain type of person who feels Texans should change their ways. It bears repeating--I'm not that type of person.

There are certain things, like bigotry, intolerance,and hatred, that I bet we can agree are wrong no matter where you live. But conservatism isn't wrong. Christianity certainly isn't wrong. I wasn't suggesting they were. I was just trying to get a sense of what the community surrounding Tyler would be like for me and my family--my children especially.

I guess we'll put it down to me feeling skittish and nervous about a potential move away from a place I've lived since birth; and Texas folks being tired of feeling they need to defend their way of life.

Truce?

Last edited by AuroraSylver; 02-18-2008 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2008, 08:18 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
truce! (I understand, I've been a transplant myself in another state)

Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraSylver View Post
I'm sorry if I come across as defensive. As it stands, I'm the only one in this thread asking about whether my family will feel welcome in Tyler, so I guess it was natural for me to assume that folks in the thread were responding to me and not just ranting out loud about a certain type of person who feels Texans should change their ways. It bears repeating--I'm not that type of person.

There are certain things, like bigotry, intolerance,and hatred, that I bet we can agree are wrong no matter where you live. But conservatism isn't wrong. Christianity certainly isn't wrong. I wasn't suggesting they were. I was just trying to get a sense of what the community surrounding Tyler would be like for me and my family--my children especially.

I guess we'll put it down to me feeling skittish and nervous about a potential move away from a place I've lived since birth; and Texas folks being tired of feeling they need to defend their way of life.

Truce?
Truce! And I hope you will like Texas!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:12 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
If you move to that area, you might want to look for a home out in the woods (and there are many beautiful homes in the deep woods)....... and not give out your address to anyone! Tyler folks don't take very well to people who think the way you think. And it's hard to avoid the topic of religion in Tyler.....much of the social life there is based on church activities (Green Acres Baptist Church is a strong force there and has been for many years).

Does the potential boss there know your husband already.... know him well enough to be aware of his religios practices? That might be a real issue if he doesn't know already. Depending upon what kind of business your husband is in - many companies expect their employees to attend church, join the Loin's Club, socialize and network with the 'right people' for business and/or political purposes.
You know? I believe in God but if I don't go to church, whos business is it. I get a little sick of hearing this. I move to a place that makes me do what they think I should do. That doesn't happen in America. Be free, let live. Most people are good people. God is watching all of us so who on this earth has the right to watch me. Get real. Gees

Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,747 times
Default Omg

Ok, here's the honest deal. I am not a religious person, and have lived in Tyler for 28 years and never faced any kind of persecution. I can not believe the idiots that have found your post, and wrote such horrible things. In whitehouse ISD your children might be asked to go to church. I should know I graduated in 1998. But as far as your day to day goes, everyone in Tyler as a general rule is too concerned trying to keep up with the "Jonses" themselves that often they just really don't care. Now your family might get some strange looks if you decided to walk around in Wiccan wear, or something, but I think that's just because it's such an extreme. As an agnostic, the only people you are going to have to dodge will be the little old lady welcoming committee. Tyler is a town that is very concerned with it's image...well at least that's the way everyone has acted for as long as I can remember. Noone cares what you're doing as long as they can consider themselves better than you. When you get here and see your first rose queen you will realize that not much in this town revolves around what you look and act like so much as how much money you and your family have. That being said. Go out make some friends, etc etc etc, and nothing else matters. Anyone, anywhere that's not going to be your friend because of your beliefs was never your friend to begin with. Welcome to Tyler, we need more progressive minded family's here. I believe that by the time my children are grown Tyler will begin to have a more Austin vibe to it. People like things to stay the same and "wholesome" and all that crap, but what they don't talk about is the rich family whose son killed his mother for the money, the gay car dealer, the brother of a well known grocery family that was found with said car dealer in an electrical closet...etc etc etc. Because it destorts what the old money in Tyler wants to see. It will pass, and is a great place to raise kids, and the suburban school districts are great. There will be cliques and there will be hateful people. But that's kind of part of growing up around here. You either fit in or you don't. I'm a better person for not fitting in, and I would like to think that my children will be too. Good luck to you! I hope you will see just exactly how pleasant it can be, when you just tell people to mind their own business. The art fairs are great. There is an art show about 45 minutes away every year in Edom too. Great farms to buy fresh produce from, and anything you could possibly imagine can be found the weekend before the first monday every month in Canton. Anything else you might need to know go ahead and email me at [EMAIL="caterrell@gmail.com"]caterrell@gmail.com[/EMAIL]. Best wishes!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:21 AM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times
You'll be fine, just keep an open mind and don't try and convert everyone to liberalism/agnosticism. if you don't do anything to alienate yourself, you'll find yourself being invited to barbecues and softball games in no time. If you're sucked into a religion/politics discussion just nod and be nice. There's other things to talk about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler