Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:19 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,589,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The people of Denton Bible church would ostricize and reject the OP for sure. It's just way too old fashioned of a church culture imo. Other than that the city is pretty weird...like Austin used to be.
We'll agree to disagree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,035,888 times
She is into Wicca...the church folks would be freaked out by her....right? come on. Otherwise she would get along well in Denton because the town is so "different" ......and even dare I say "liberal" and a bit "multi-cultural"

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
We'll agree to disagree

Old 06-13-2008, 04:26 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,589,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
She is into Wicca...the church folks would be freaked out by her....right? come on. Otherwise she would get along well in Denton because the town is so "different" ......and even dare I say "liberal" and a bit "multi-cultural"
Yes, you're somewhat right, but Denton is diverse anyway, so no big deal.

Maybe we should just keep the topic on Tyler instead?

Old 06-13-2008, 04:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,035,888 times
Well, I think most people said she shouldn't move to tyler.

I'm sticking with that she will be good in Denton since it is a diverse town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Yes, you're somewhat right, but Denton is diverse anyway, so no big deal.

Maybe we should just keep the topic on Tyler instead?

Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 PM

506 posts, read 654,201 times
I wouldn't say a word about agnosticism in East Texas to anyone if I were you. Or wicca. Tyler is Huge in the Baptist Church, most people's lives revolve around church. And yes, when Anyone hears you're "new in town" they immediately ask about church membership. They want You to join Their church!!
It's the wettest dry town I've ever lived in. Half the city is drunk on Friday night--out dancing in clubs and getting bombed. Memberships? Ha. What a joke. The mayor is Paid Off to look the other way and 90% of the restaurants serve anything you want without a membership. But they're all sobered up by Sunday morning and all dressed to the nines for church.
I liked living there, basically, a little too hot and humid for me and VERY
socially conscious--that is, snobby as to where do you live, what do you drive, etc ad nauseum. And south Tyler traffic is too much if you're older; and that glare!! Oh, the sun's glare is terrible. And don't get me started on insects.....

Old 06-18-2008, 07:20 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,108,492 times
Default Ouch !! So HARSH

Yes, We, for the most part are Christian, may not often ACT THAT WAY - 50% or more Baptist but we may ask you about church interest - just to INVITE YOU - just to make sure you KNOW you are welcome - after that, everything is your business - most of us respect your choice - now, some people outside of Tyler in the more rural areas ,yes may ask you too many times - but yes probably you would feel better in a city of lets say - more than 300,000 population, for certain Austin then Houston, Dallas you can get totally lost are do what you want - almost anything and no one would care at all about your business or well being. Good luck on your decision - I lived in Houston for 20 years so I know a little of what I said - before I became a Christian yes many many Christians in Houston too. Oh, not eveyone goes to clubs - Tyler has very few but ...

Old 06-18-2008, 07:47 PM

52,761 posts, read 48,130,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Tyler is one of the coolest cities I've ever visited in Texas. I visited it when I went to a resort (forgot the name) there with my family. It had beautiful landscaping and great people.
Very good post, jluke. It really is a fantastic city.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,573 times
I have a love hate relationship with Tyler. After researching my family's history and discovering that there are white cemeteries and separate black cemeteries and that a number of black cemeteries have slaves buried in them --- it has brought up alot for me. I purposely avoided learning about the history of Texas slavery (which is not difficult since they don't teach it in our schools), because it is too painful to look at, but recently I have spent several months trying to understand the history of Texas, the history of Tyler Texas and the history of Texas slavery. I wanted to understand my family's exerience in Tyler Texas; and quite frankly I honestly don't know how my ancestors survived living in the South.

In my recent trip to Tyler I still see a very racially divided city with blacks living on one side and whites living on the other. Oddly, while the rest of the country has made some progress as it relates to race, it seems that Tyler has made little progress. The term "yankee" has some old feelings and emotions tied to it and for a minute, I thought I was re-living my great great grandfathers experience.

The love relationship I have for Tyler has to do with the fact that my family lived in Tyler for over 100 years and survived one of the most racist chapters in American history. In spite of their experience, they taught us to be proud of our country and
they educated us and taught us the importantance of contribution to family, community and country.

If I should decide to return to the home of my ancestors I bring with me a strong desire to share my family stories and hear yours; to find the last slave owner of my great great grandfather and meet his desendants and to bring racial healing and reconciliation between the two families.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:59 AM

6 posts, read 18,849 times
So what if it is conservative or liberal....You are your own person and your kids will be there own people. I am from Texas a Democrat and extremely conservative when it comes to family and culture. I also have my small colleciton of guns. My mother and brother are pastors and they don't mess with me about attending religious functions One side of my family lines runs all the way back to a time in which Texas was Mexico. As a very conservative person, I believe Texas is a great place to live. Especially in a small community of people that actually cares about other people. You can make it what you want to make it. This thing you want to avoid is crime and even gangs, so avoid close proximity to gangs. I know where I am from (Lubbock) gangs are breaking into homes in nice neighborhoods, five in my neighborhodd in the past year.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,061,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Miller View Post
I have a love hate relationship with Tyler. After researching my family's history and discovering that there are white cemeteries and separate black cemeteries and that a number of black cemeteries have slaves buried in them --- it has brought up alot for me. I purposely avoided learning about the history of Texas slavery (which is not difficult since they don't teach it in our schools), because it is too painful to look at, but recently I have spent several months trying to understand the history of Texas, the history of Tyler Texas and the history of Texas slavery. I wanted to understand my family's exerience in Tyler Texas; and quite frankly I honestly don't know how my ancestors survived living in the South.

In my recent trip to Tyler I still see a very racially divided city with blacks living on one side and whites living on the other. Oddly, while the rest of the country has made some progress as it relates to race, it seems that Tyler has made little progress. The term "yankee" has some old feelings and emotions tied to it and for a minute, I thought I was re-living my great great grandfathers experience.

The love relationship I have for Tyler has to do with the fact that my family lived in Tyler for over 100 years and survived one of the most racist chapters in American history. In spite of their experience, they taught us to be proud of our country and
they educated us and taught us the importantance of contribution to family, community and country.

If I should decide to return to the home of my ancestors I bring with me a strong desire to share my family stories and hear yours; to find the last slave owner of my great great grandfather and meet his desendants and to bring racial healing and reconciliation between the two families.
You people are blowing this whole racial thing if you wanna call it that out of proportion. The Tyler of today is not the same Tyler of 50 years ago so stop living in the damn past & Get over it! Blacks & Whites get a long just fine in this city & as a matter of fact most of the violent crimes are black on black. You rarely if ever stories around here in North East Texas like the one that happened way down in Deep East Texas Jasper years ago.

There will always be some form a racism in EVERY cultures of the world, not just black & white here in America. Hitler was a racists to Jews, Saddam Huessein was a racist to his people & America, Musolini was a racist, Pol Pot was a racists against is own people & buryed their bones in piles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler