Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 04:19 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,205,395 times

Advertisements

You only lose UI going forward from the day you committed the disqualifying act. You haven't committed one yet, so keep collecting until you think you want to break the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 07:00 PM

13,167 posts, read 21,195,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
I will tell them it was due to a chronic medical condition that doesn't qualify for FMLA or disability.
First off, FMLA has nothing to do with unemployment or your ability to accept a job. I seriously doubt you have any idea what your talking about. By keep throwing it out as if it's some justification for not working. FMLA just protects an otherwise qualified employee of a company. You are not even employed yet so forget about FMLA as it pertains to seeking employment. It's perfectly O.K. to qualify for unemployment if you lost a job over a medical issue where FMLA couldn't provide protections but it has no place in the job search.

As for a medical condition, if you raise this in an employment interview and they report it to unemployment, you are going to have a serious able and available situation on your hand as well as a potential job refusal. If you're citing a health, you lose some of your suitability leverage. Due to a disability, you can be forced to accept lesser work or pay if that is all that is available that can accommodate your disability. But, unemployment is going to run you through the health professional examination and documentation wringer first. You're on dangerous ground when you throw out medical; especially if you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:01 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,167,874 times
Quote:
I just thought of something. I am going to tell the person interviewing me the truth when they ask why I was terminated. I will tell them it was due to a chronic medical condition that doesn't qualify for FMLA or disability. This way I won't get the job. If they ask me if I want the job, I will tell them the truth and tell them I am only there because unemployment told me it's mandatory. I will also tell them I have to go to the bathroom during the interview and I will take 5 minutes long.
This would be the worst possible tactic to pursue. You need to actually listen to what everyone is telling you here. There are ways to reject an offer that will not disqualify you. If you raise an able and available issue, you will disqualify yourself.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:34 AM

166 posts, read 98,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
This would be the worst possible tactic to pursue. You need to actually listen to what everyone is telling you here. There are ways to reject an offer that will not disqualify you. If you raise an able and available issue, you will disqualify yourself.

what would you say are the best ways to reject an offer that won't disqualify me? I will no longer mention the medical condition if I go to the interview. Is it even mandatory for me to go to the interview if unemployment tells me to? I applied only because they told me to. Is it even mandatory to wear clothes they want me to wear at the interview? I only have casual clothes. That's it. What if I put on the summary of my resume that I was terminated for my last position and I am looking for a job that pays a certain amount per hour? I am not lying by writing this and when they ask me why I was terminated and it was due to a chronic medical condition then I am supposed to lie? If I lie then they can tell unemployment what I said and it will make it look like I lied on the claim which I didn't. If they ask me how many absences I had at my last job and I say a lot since it's true, then they can ask me why and I am supposed to lie and not mention the reason why and say something else instead?

Old 09-24-2019, 12:39 AM

If they ask me if I want the job all I am going to say is that the only reason why I applied and why I went to the interview is because unemployment told me it's mandatory. That's it. 1. I am telling them the truth by saying this. 2. I am letting them know I am not interested in the job position by saying this. If they ask if I will take the job then I will say yes but only because unemployment told me it's mandatory. If they ask if I want the job I will tell them I would rather get paid more but will do the job only because unemployment told me it's mandatory.

Last edited by Dreamer2019; 09-24-2019 at 12:48 AM..

Old 09-24-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
If they ask me if I want the job all I am going to say is that the only reason why I applied and why I went to the interview is because unemployment told me it's mandatory. That's it. 1. I am telling them the truth by saying this. 2. I am letting them know I am not interested in the job position by saying this. If they ask if I will take the job then I will say yes but only because unemployment told me it's mandatory. If they ask if I want the job I will tell them I would rather get paid more but will do the job only because unemployment told me it's mandatory.
Still wrong. You need to listen to the advice given to this point.

If you’ve truly only been on UI for a month, you can be a little picky about pay/hours/location. It’s called “suitability”. The longer you’ve been on UI, the more that goes away - so you probably have another month or so to stick to your guns on the pay part.

You apply to the position and just don’t answer the phone if they call.
If you do speak to them, you make it difficult to schedule an interview.
If for some reason you do actually interview you state your salary needs very early in the process, usually this will end the interview BEFORE any offer is actually written and presented to you. This is key, because then you don’t even have to state that you’ve declined work.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
Still wrong. You need to listen to the advice given to this point.

If you’ve truly only been on UI for a month, you can be a little picky about pay/hours/location. It’s called “suitability”. The longer you’ve been on UI, the more that goes away - so you probably have another month or so to stick to your guns on the pay part.

You apply to the position and just don’t answer the phone if they call.
If you do speak to them, you make it difficult to schedule an interview.
If for some reason you do actually interview you state your salary needs very early in the process, usually this will end the interview BEFORE any offer is actually written and presented to you. This is key, because then you don’t even have to state that you’ve declined work.

The unemployment is for 14 weeks. This will only be week 4. Isn't that considered fraud if I don't pick up? They will most likely leave a voicemail and tell me to call them back. And unemployment will probably contact them to see if I got the job. I already stated on the summary of my resume how much I need to get paid. Once they read it they won't offer me the job but tomorrow I have to go to a job interview since unemployment said it was mandatory. If they ask me why I was terminated then I am supposed to lie to them why? This would mean I lied on my unemployment claim. I guess I will have to do certain things at the interview so I don't get the job like look annoyed and pissed off and the truth is that this will happen on its own since I am pissed off and angry about having to go to a job interview that doesn't meet my requirements when it comes to pay.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:52 AM

Please try to use paragraphs and separate thoughts. Your posts are really hard to read.

You tell them you were fired for attendance. That’ll get rid of most of them.

And missed calls happen all the time.

That said, you’ve got 10 weeks left, you’re running out of time to be picky.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,363,403 times
Play telephone tag. Let their call go to voicemail. Call them back after hours and go to their voicemail. Even better, have some loud music playing in the background when you leave a message. Doubt they would call you back again but if they do rinse and repeat.

Then if asked by UI you can honestly say you followed up and called them back.

I agree with everyone else regarding health issues and FMLA, which only applies to companies with at least 50 employees (and you have to work there for at least a year with I believe 1250 hours of paid work.)

Old 09-24-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Play telephone tag. Let their call go to voicemail. Call them back after hours and go to their voicemail. Even better, have some loud music playing in the background when you leave a message. Doubt they would call you back again but if they do rinse and repeat.

Then if asked by UI you can honestly say you followed up and called them back.

I agree with everyone else regarding health issues and FMLA, which only applies to companies with at least 50 employees (and you have to work there for at least a year with I believe 1250 hours of paid work.)

LOL, that was funny. I will do that. Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment