Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 09:55 AM

166 posts, read 98,435 times

Advertisements

What happens if I just stop claiming benefits and doing the job search? How many times do I have to stop doing this so they will stop giving me unemployment? And do I have to pay them back the money they already gave me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 10:18 AM

6,499 posts, read 9,888,998 times
You stop filing weekly and they will stop sending you money.

You do not have to pay back the money unless you were found to be fraudulent in your claims.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:06 AM

Do they try to contact you if you stopped making claims or send you a letter and can unemployment still force you to go to workshops and interviews after you stopped making claims? Do they have to wait until the claim is closed or will they stop sending you referrals and scheduling classes as soon as you stop claiming benefits and doing work search the first time?

Old 09-24-2019, 06:31 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,167,874 times
This is ridiculous. I give up.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:43 PM

819 posts, read 577,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post

You tell them you were fired for attendance. That’ll get rid of most of them.
That should work - and wouldn't be considered preclusion.

I would also stop doing anything that made me stand out in a way where they take a personal interest in my job applications.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:56 PM

13,167 posts, read 21,195,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2019 View Post
What happens if I just stop claiming benefits and doing the job search? How many times do I have to stop doing this so they will stop giving me unemployment? And do I have to pay them back the money they already gave me?
The first time you do not claim, they will stop payments and remove you from reemployment services list. You may get an errant referral but since you're no longer collecting unemployment, you have no duty to respond or even acknowledge them. In all honesty, once you stop claiming, they could care less if you look for work or not.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:43 AM

I am not bringing my resume because I already applied online so they should have it.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:02 AM

819 posts, read 577,199 times
For anyone reading the thread in the future:

Keep in mind that though the job services classes / resume assistance / etc. might be helpful in finding jobs - know that by going to get help with any of these, you might draw the attention of someone who tries to "help" you in your job search by sending you jobs to apply for.

They most likely will not screen the jobs well, and will most likely send you referrals to jobs that might not be a good fit for you.

It is probably best to apply for the jobs and / or keep records of why you didn't apply for certain jobs (not enough information about the job to know if it would be suitable, not qualified for the job, etc.). However, if the referral states that you must apply for the job, you must apply for it.

Don't call them, engage with them, or make yourself stand out. Hope that you soon drop off their radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment