Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2020, 07:03 PM

839 posts, read 1,211,929 times

Advertisements

I touched on this in another thread but want to get specific here with my question.

My son was working part time . Days and hours varied. Some weeks 10-12 hours and some weeks 25 hours , they closed due to Covid in march and he is getting the PUA $600. they reopened 2 weeks ago. First week he worked 18 hours and then last week 5 hours , this week 10 hours. Nest week hes scheduled for 15. But they said due to conditions of covid could be less.

My question is at what point if a part time worker do you stop claiming. Rules are hours reduced due to Covid and they are some weeks and not for other weeks possible. Guess same question for gig wokrers. Might be doing uber again for example but not as much. and things can shut quickly. I told him file until he works 2 weeks in a row at 21 or more hours since that might be considered back to work , hours not reduced ?? Trying to do the right thing here in advising him but so unssure. I read the rules and seems part timers can still collect.

I asusme he will get it until it ends in 3 weeks but seems after listening to Menuchin today it may be extended so figure I would ask the experts here.

On a side note may be back with other questions as my wife just got laid off today with the catholic church school closings in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 07:44 PM

32,193 posts, read 27,436,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
I touched on this in another thread but want to get specific here with my question.

My son was working part time . Days and hours varied. Some weeks 10-12 hours and some weeks 25 hours , they closed due to Covid in march and he is getting the PUA $600. they reopened 2 weeks ago. First week he worked 18 hours and then last week 5 hours , this week 10 hours. Nest week hes scheduled for 15. But they said due to conditions of covid could be less.

My question is at what point if a part time worker do you stop claiming. Rules are hours reduced due to Covid and they are some weeks and not for other weeks possible. Guess same question for gig wokrers. Might be doing uber again for example but not as much. and things can shut quickly. I told him file until he works 2 weeks in a row at 21 or more hours since that might be considered back to work , hours not reduced ?? Trying to do the right thing here in advising him but so unssure. I read the rules and seems part timers can still collect.

I asusme he will get it until it ends in 3 weeks but seems after listening to Menuchin today it may be extended so figure I would ask the experts here.

On a side note may be back with other questions as my wife just got laid off today with the catholic church school closings in NYC.
Believe your query was answered previously...

For NYS:

Q: Can I file a claim if I lost my full-time work, but still work part-time?

A: Yes, if you work less than four days in a week and earn $504 or less, you may receive partial benefits. When you file your UI claim:

You will be asked to enter the date of your last day worked. Enter the last day you physically reported to work, regardless of whether this was your part-time or full-time work.
You will also be asked to enter information about your last or most recent employer. The last or most recent employer is where you most recently reported to work, regardless of whether this was your part-time or full-time employer. If it was your part-time employer, and you will continue to work part-time, enter "lack of work" as the reason for separation.

Nearly all other states have some sort of similar arrangements though dollar amounts and other bits might change.

Keep in mind for most states a "day" or work is basically any day or portion thereof. So hours per se might not come into play.

Personally think you are over thinking this way too much. System is set up to ask certain question that determine eligibility for weekly benefits. Long as your son answers truthfully he has nothing to worry about.

You keep asking about all these "what if" events that haven't happened. If and or when your son earns enough to lose his weekly benefit in whole or part, system will let him know based upon information he gives.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:48 PM

Sorry this is for New Jersey. ( Son works NJ, wife works NY)

I cant find that info for NJ. Do you know it ?

And thank you Bugsy

Also wanted to add that NJ dosent ask how many days. It ask how many hours and how much.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:08 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,793,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Sorry this is for New Jersey. ( Son works NJ, wife works NY)

I cant find that info for NJ. Do you know it ?

And thank you Bugsy

Also wanted to add that NJ dosent ask how many days. It ask how many hours and how much.
NJ says if you have at least a 20% reduction of your full time hrs you are able to collect partial benefit amounts. Of course you have to be under the PWBR (partial weekly benefit rate) as well. On this one I would tell him to keep collecting for as many weeks as he's under his PWBR. He's working all hours offered to him and reporting them.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:15 PM

Thank you both of you. No more questions about son. See what happens with wife when she applies lol.

And off to the mortgage forum , had to stop paying mortgage and defer , add to end of mortgsge to pay bills while wife unemployed. Wife is er was bread winner , 70% of household income , now lost minus unemployment which will be just over half even what to 600 and have to pay Cobra now for benefits.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:38 PM

724 posts, read 452,442 times
I don't exactly remember when I applied for UI what it asked but I am pretty sure it does not ask for how an hours you worked, just if it was full or part time, I think 40 hours is considered full time and 32 is part time for jersey, so as long as it is less than 32 hours he should get something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment