Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 08:05 AM

694 posts, read 284,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
...So yes they do feel it before we do, but not by much.
This is pretty much what I read, studies are inconclusive but if animals do feel an earthquake coming (based on infrasonic sounds, release of gasses, etc....nothing supernatural or psychic), it's not enough time to take action on it. It's also unreliable as they may react to other events that are not related to earthquakes.

Which leaves us to psychics. To take action, save lives, and so forth, you need to know the time, the place, and the strength. Simply saying "in 2024 on the west coast an earthquake will hit" is useless, besides being a claim that is so generic as to fit any tremor, thus leaving the more gullible among us to claim the prediction is true and buy there books and "subscribe to there channel".

Getting back to science, China and Japan have attempted and even claimed they could predict earthquakes at one time or another based on their studies of precursers. In China, one prediction in the 70s came true and saved many lives, but then later another earthquake came through that was not predicted, and cost many lives. Then you had many false predictions. So much for that. Being that this was Mao's China in the 70's, the scientists were "purged". But I think technology still is not there, there are too many variables to calculate, the causes of seismac activity are still not know. Give it time, maybe in our lifetime they will figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 06:22 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
This is pretty much what I read, studies are inconclusive but if animals do feel an earthquake coming (based on infrasonic sounds, release of gasses, etc....nothing supernatural or psychic), it's not enough time to take action on it. It's also unreliable as they may react to other events that are not related to earthquakes.

Which leaves us to psychics. To take action, save lives, and so forth, you need to know the time, the place, and the strength. Simply saying "in 2024 on the west coast an earthquake will hit" is useless, besides being a claim that is so generic as to fit any tremor, thus leaving the more gullible among us to claim the prediction is true and buy there books and "subscribe to there channel".

Getting back to science, China and Japan have attempted and even claimed they could predict earthquakes at one time or another based on their studies of precursers. In China, one prediction in the 70s came true and saved many lives, but then later another earthquake came through that was not predicted, and cost many lives. Then you had many false predictions. So much for that. Being that this was Mao's China in the 70's, the scientists were "purged". But I think technology still is not there, there are too many variables to calculate, the causes of seismac activity are still not know. Give it time, maybe in our lifetime they will figure it out.
We have on average 15 or 16 major earthquakes every year. So it is easy for somebody to claim they know something will happen and shortly afterward it does happen. There are those believers that, regardless of the time that passes from the 'prediction' until the event, still believe it was predicted. Some psychics are just good poker players.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We have on average 15 or 16 major earthquakes every year. So it is easy for somebody to claim they know something will happen and shortly afterward it does happen. There are those believers that, regardless of the time that passes from the 'prediction' until the event, still believe it was predicted. Some psychics are just good poker players.
And as I said, there are also literally hundreds of very minor quakes a day throughout the world, most of which are not felt. But still these con-men can claim that their prediction is correct. They seem to pop out of the woodwords when there is a major earthquake.

But I would really like to get into the science of earthquake prediction or forecasting, not the fantasy element. Electromagnetic changes, radon detection, tectonic stresses causing ionosphere anomalies, etc. We have some understanding of these things as it relates to earthquakes, but still too many false alarms to be useful. The geological understanding of it all just is not there yet. I am probably in the wrong forum to discuss the science of it all.

Old 04-07-2024, 01:10 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
But still these con-men can claim that their prediction is correct. They seem to pop out of the woodwords when there is a major earthquake.
That's why I follow psychic Joseph Tittel. He memorializes his predictions in date and time stamped videos. There are fake psychics who 'steal' his predictions but if they bother to do a video, the date and time will be after Joseph's.

By the way, Joseph had a vision of people walking around wearing masks two years before Covid. He predicted an outbreak of something but at the time didn't make the connection. Let's face it, who would have guessed something so evil was even possible? However, now we know to always question the 'official story.'

Old 04-07-2024, 03:19 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
Quote:
True, USGS nor any scientist cannot predict quakes beyond the probability that one might occur in a given time period, but I am interested to see your data on this prediction success rate from psychics and astrologers. No "there will be an earthquake somewhere in the US in 2024" type predictions. Those type of predictions are too generalized to be of any use and, since small and mild tremors occur regularly several hundred times a day somewhere in the world, are simply used by scammers to say "look I predicted an earthquake". You also have to estimate how many times they are wrong.
They in reality get at best 1% of predictions correct IF they give any details. They get maybe 5% correct IF you use the horseshoe method and call something almost kinda close with some great imagination a correct prediction. There is a reason they are very vague and let their believers fill in the details.

Old 04-08-2024, 06:00 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
They in reality get at best 1% of predictions correct IF they give any details. They get maybe 5% correct IF you use the horseshoe method and call something almost kinda close with some great imagination a correct prediction. There is a reason they are very vague and let their believers fill in the details.
Punxsutawney Phil is right about 39% of the time. However, 35,000 to 45,000 people showed up to see that little rascal make his prediction this year. They could have stayed home and flipped a coin to get a more accurate prediction! I think Phil is a charlatan, but maybe we cannot translate the groundhog language accurately?

Old 04-08-2024, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Punxsutawney Phil is right about 39% of the time. However, 35,000 to 45,000 people showed up to see that little rascal make his prediction this year. They could have stayed home and flipped a coin to get a more accurate prediction! I think Phil is a charlatan, but maybe we cannot translate the groundhog language accurately?
With that percentage of correct answers even though it is below flipping a coin average I would still believe him over ANY psychic. After all he is still WAY more accurate than any psychic by a country mile.

If any of the believers in psychics disagree with me PLEASE post any proof that I am wrong. Of all the stuff in this section it is the one thing I wanted to be real the most.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
That's why I follow psychic Joseph Tittel. He memorializes his predictions in date and time stamped videos. There are fake psychics who 'steal' his predictions but if they bother to do a video, the date and time will be after Joseph's.

By the way, Joseph had a vision of people walking around wearing masks two years before Covid. He predicted an outbreak of something but at the time didn't make the connection. Let's face it, who would have guessed something so evil was even possible? However, now we know to always question the 'official story.'
OK I will give him a chance - can you quote this Joseph Tittel's earthquake predictions with a link? Not "an earthquake will hit the world in 2024" but something specific? Don't link to a 20 minute video - but the text of the actual prediction. I won't even ask about the wrong ones. Just one single correct one - location and date and general size of quake.

I google searched it and found lots of claims where he predicted this or that earthquake, but no link to the actual prediction itself.

Old 04-08-2024, 10:02 AM

Quote:
OK I will give him a chance - can you quote this Joseph Tittel's earthquake predictions with a link? Not "an earthquake will hit the world in 2024" but something specific? Don't link to a 20 minute video - but the text of the actual prediction. I won't even ask about the wrong ones. Just one single correct one - location and date and general size of quake.

I google searched it and found lots of claims where he predicted this or that earthquake, but no link to the actual prediction itself.
I have watched a few of Mr Tittels videos and he was NEVER is specific about anything. It is all very broad unspecific events in the videos I have personally watched. He puts on an amazing show depending on how you look at it. Seriously please go down the rabbit hole and watch a couple of his videos and post your honest review of them.

Old 04-08-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I have watched a few of Mr Tittels videos and he was NEVER is specific about anything. It is all very broad unspecific events in the videos I have personally watched. He puts on an amazing show depending on how you look at it. Seriously please go down the rabbit hole and watch a couple of his videos and post your honest review of them.
That's what I was afraid of, all generalized and generic.

No desire to watch his videos and financially reward him (via click revenue) for this farce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal