Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 04:04 AM

351 posts, read 1,069,243 times

Advertisements

Sprawl City

Our fastest growing cities of the last 20+ years have catered to sprawl for a good reason. Cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Phoenix, Nashville,
Raleigh,.....ect, offer what the majority of the masses want, their own affordable home with a decent size yard, nice parks, plenty of good jobs, and
good schools. I like a city with breathing room over our mostly older, more
densely populated cities and obviously so do most people.

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 06-19-2007 at 04:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 07:09 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,454,137 times
Too each it's own. If I want space I'll go rural or off the grid.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:47 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
This is just pure madness. According to the table provided through that source of the 100 largest areas in the nation, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre MSA declined in population by 9.4% while expanding its land usage by 20.4 square miles. Essentially, we sp-r--a---w----l-----e------d our region's dwindling population further and further away from existing infrastructure to increase our land usage by 11.3% during this same period. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre ranks among the worst metropolitan areas in the nation for urban sprawl because we were one of only ten major cities in which 100% of the sprawl was needless, as evidenced by the shrinking population.

What is the end result? We have surrendered more of the precious open space that our visitors and residents alike had grown to love and appreciate to McMansions, Starbucks, and "lifestyle centers." Our once-vibrant, historic downtowns in Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pittston, Nanticoke, Plymouth, and Carbondale are all sitting vastly-underutilized and in the throes of despair (even though Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are each seeing promising recent reinvestment). Scranton's population dipped from 150,000 to today's most recent estimate of about 67,000. Wilkes-Barre's population dipped from 90,000
to a more recent estimate of just under 40,000. Meanwhile, the suburban area of the Back Mountain grew like a weed to now house nearly 30,000 residents and is growing by leaps and bounds annually.

This poses problems in not only the shrinking areas, but in the growing ones as well. While cities like Scranton and Wilkes-Barre are being forced to tax their residents to death in order to maintain an adequate level of public services whilst seeing their number of taxpayers dwindle, suburbia is likewise starting to jack up its tax rates to pay for new schools, new roads, new emergency services personnel, etc. to accomodate the influx of new residents to once-virgin lands. The cities pay for this with urban blight, pockets of "trapped poverty," and housing vacancy rates approaching 15%. The suburbs pay for this with horrific traffic congestion, a greater dependency upon fossil fuels, overcrowding schools, and not being able to walk to any conveniences whatsoever. Sprawl quite simply does not work. The price society pays for some selfish, self-centered people to "show off" with their own, supposed "American Dreams" is much too hefty, in my opinion, and it is not sustainable. What will you say to your grandchildren when they ask why you bulldozed a half-acre of trees and built a brand new two-story, vinyl-sided home with a front-facing two car garage that is only within driving distance to parks, playgrounds, churches, grocery stores, etc. while thousands of other homes just sit and rot a few miles away in our older towns within walking distance to anything and everything one could ever need without destroying more open space and wildlife habitats? Where's the moral responsibility in that?

I'm awaiting for your responses on how it is okay for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to look like this just because some of you people are too selfish to do what is best for the community as a WHOLE as opposed to just furthering your own statuses among your colleagues with impressive new homes and lifestyles. They say a picture is worth 1,000 words, so I'll let them finish my rant:

VS.

Why? Can someone explain to me why it is "okay" to just "give up" on older neighborhoods in favor of "bigger and better?" Are Americans just a disposable society?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,291,138 times
I think a big part of it is that a lot of people will live where they can. I would love to live in a dense central city, but where I am I can't afford it. I live in an inner suburb but would much rather live downtown, as is the case with most of my neighbors. The type of small scale, pedestrian centered development that make places like NY and San Francisco attractive was largely made illegal after WWII and we are still in that mindset.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:22 AM

Here's another perspective on Sprawl:

US Urbanized Areas by Density: 2000

Old 06-19-2007, 09:37 AM

ScrantonWilkesBarre: It can go both ways, a billion-dollar downtown rehab is currently under way in Raleigh, while at the same time, sprawl is growing father out from Raleigh. I've also notice a lot of filling in development closer to the core of Raleigh.

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 06-19-2007 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-19-2007, 10:28 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
Sprawl City

Our fastest growing cities of the last 20+ years have catered to sprawl for a good reason. Cities like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Phoenix, Nashville,
Raleigh,.....ect, offer what the majority of the masses want, their own affordable home with a decent size yard, nice parks, plenty of good jobs, and
good schools. I like a city with breathing room over our mostly older, more
densely populated cities and obviously so do most people.
It's not as obvious as you think, carolina. I know lots of people who would love to live in the city, but the good housing in the decent neighborhoods is not affordable to them and the other neighborhoods have bad schools and/or lots of crime. Unfortunately for city lovers, as more and more people in my area choose the city, the price of housing gets driven up. The flip side is, our city house has more than tripled in value in 12 years, and my neighborhood and similar ones in the central city have had the highest rates of appreciation than any others in our metro area over the past decade, including the poshest suburbs.

Having lived in both, I'll take the city any day. Even if my home's value hadn't increased so much, I'd still rather live here than in Sprawlville.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:42 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,577,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post

VS.

To be completely honest with you, neither of those settings look very appealing.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:16 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
swb - while I would love to live in a more urbanized area, the fact of the matter is i won't sacrifice my children's education to be part of a revitalization effort. plus, i absolutely refuse to pay $600K+ and 12K+ taxes for a shack on a 25x75 postage stamp lot. it's not as simple as you're making it - when you reach your 30's-40's and have children, priorities shift.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 PM

Ben Around, I guess it depends on who you know or talk too. Most people I know still prefer the burbs. I'm glad to see sprawl areas such as Raleigh invest more in their downtowns, the nationally trend is slowly going back that way.

Raleigh Downtown Construction (There's a lot)

Raleigh Metropolitan Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning