Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:57 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,394,470 times

Advertisements

Well, architecture in general and, more specifically to the point of this thread, skylines are certainly an aspect of what helps to enrich and define a city. Are they the only thing? Certainly not. London. Milan. Rome. Heck, any old European city... The skyline is irrelevant. Architecture matters, though. In the modern era, skyscrapers are a part of architecture, and a major part at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,209,397 times
Those pictures of Shanghai kind of look like overkill, but it's interesting the point you make about great, older cities and their architecture. Skyscrapers, and their newer label, supertalls, are so brand new. Even on the scale of age of the cities around the world, these are almost brand new accomplishments in design and expression. They can give you a sense of place, but it depends on where you are. To some on this forum and others, it's all that matters. For some it doesn't. Guess it depends on the person also.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:04 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,600,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Does a city's skyline really matter. I mean if a city has all the amenities, rich culture, and a great quality of life who cares how tall the buildings are right? What do all poster on this forum think? I personally don't really care i mean they are just buildings after all. To me there more like a bonus but they do not define a city.
This doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you are a San Antonio cheerleader, and San Antonio doesn't have a skyline to speak of, right?

btw, Shanghai does have a massive skyline, but it certainly does not put Manhattan to shame. Tokyo, while not having as much height as Shanghai, blows it out of the water it terms of the number of highrises.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:20 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,291,886 times
I've never been to Tokyo... But Shanghai doesn't have a skyline, you know what i mean? its hard to explain... or i guess plainly you stop seeing the sky...so how could there be a skyline, literally there is alway a building in front of you. Even from the ocean... Its so dense and compact that the skyline doesn't feel special. At least Tokyo you could see the sky...
there is a certain amount to which a skyline is charming, Shanghai GREATLY exceeds that limit. I think Cities like LA, Atlanta, SF, Houston, Dallas, and Pittsburgh have skylines about right. NY, Chicago, Seattle, and Miami all almost exceed the limit IMO but they still actually have a nice skyline.
btw
The Paris Skyline is famous, and even though it is not the main focus it is still important. Same With London, and Moscow.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:34 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,603,482 times
Skyscrapers are great as long as they are architecturally significant. That being said, there are many cities without them that are considered some of the most beautiful in the world. In our own country, DC is an example. Sometimes I love seeing the spires of churches peeking up over the neighborhoods. In the east, many tend to overlook the many beautiful neighborhoods with fine examples of great architecture but instead focus on the tall buildings in a downtown area. That is a shame because many of those tall buildings are rather ugly in my opinion. I think the key to a strong city is density moreso than height. Also, I think a strong streetscape is vital. Those are the attributes I look for when I decide if I truely like a city or not. I would much rather tour the French Quarter of New Orleans than walk through Houston's downtown as an example.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:46 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
Does a skyline HAVE to be all about skyscrapers? I like distinctive buildings. I like seeing a skyline and instantly knowing what city or town I'm looking at--whether or not the buildings are tall.

Asheville, NC, for example has two very distinctive buildings in their downtown that are always featured in sillouhettes of their skyline. I'd recognize it anywhere--and that's why I love it.

DC's has several distinctive skylines, each featuring the washington monument (and a few other monuments, or the Smithsonian, or the Capital Bldg., or the National Cathedral). Makes my heart leap just a little whenever I see it as I approach the city--and I live here, so I see it all the time.

Little towns like Rockport, MA have beautiful skylines, too--but the buildings are only a few stories high. Ah, but they are beautiful buildings.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:48 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,578,932 times
I don't think skylines are everything:

London
Paris
D.C.
Milan

Old 12-02-2007, 01:55 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
^ London, Paris, and to a lesser extent Milan and DC(in metro mostly rosslyn) have skyscrapers and skylines

Old 12-02-2007, 02:02 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,578,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^ London, Paris, and to a lesser extent Milan and DC(in metro mostly rosslyn) have skyscrapers and skylines
Within their notorious cores? No, they don't.

Scratch London, I forgot about St. Mary Axe and Tower 42.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:30 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,771,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Within their notorious cores? No, they don't.

Scratch London, I forgot about St. Mary Axe and Tower 42.
Okay, a few pics

London

there larger skyline

the smaller skyline

Paris

Milan

DC

and yes, this IS a skyline - there are buildings touching the sky (and you can go into the wash monument)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning