Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:20 PM

68 posts, read 71,449 times

Advertisements

How the c**p is Miami on that list????

There are barely any parks here and this is probably the least pedestrian-friendly city I've been to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:21 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Yeah, I live in Atlanta and the only place I walk is to my car so I have no idea what they're talking about.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:55 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Yes, and I notice Cleveland has a respectable rating, too. People like to pick on Cleveland, but it's actually a pretty nice place to live.
I agree. It's always fun to visit my relatives there.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:56 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
I'm personally surprised that Indianapolis wasn't on this list. It seemed like a very walkable city when I was there. Same with Louisville.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:21 AM

2,567 posts, read 5,314,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I'm personally surprised that Indianapolis wasn't on this list. It seemed like a very walkable city when I was there. Same with Louisville.
If the Louisville and Indy metro areas were among the top 30 in population, they would have ranked somewhere in the list. But the list only ranks the 30 metros with the largest populations. If the Seattle metro only had 1.5 million people, it would not have made the list.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
I've seen some "Boston is more walkable than NYC" posts. Seeing as I've been to Boston countless times, I really don't see how it is more walkable. Don't get me wrong, it's extremely walkable, but the density and public transportation in NYC puts Boston to shame. I'd like to know what's behind these claims...

Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
I don't know about Boulder, Eugene, and Boise, but there are plenty of panhandlers in Madison, primarily along the State St. corridor and Capitol Square area. Some of them are pretty darned aggressive, too. Crimes such as muggings in Madison aren't as numerous as in larger cities, of course, but muggings have increased in the student-dominant neighborhoods closest to campus.
There are definitely panhandlers in Eugene, not to the extent that is in Portland, but panhandling seems to be a way of life in Oregon. There are some great trails all around Eugene, but panhandlers and homeless are all over them.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:13 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,294 times
Default Boise in general. The Northend in particular.

The Northend in Boise, Idaho.
The Northend has sidewalks and bike paths. You are able to walk to downtown, the grocery store, restaurants and Hyde Park [stores,post office
haircuts,ice cream/candy parlor, more restaurants], hospital, the
State Capitol building and many parks.
The neighborhood has it's own link: Northend.org - Boise's Historic Neightborhood - North End Lifestyle, Politics, Business, Realty, Culture

Old 12-12-2007, 01:46 PM

302 posts, read 933,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I know, but its still on the list. If I could think of one major city that is vastly un-walkable, it would be PHX. If you dont have a car there, youre pretty much screwed. The new light rail might help things a little bit, but its still a car-oriented city.
What about LA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning