Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:22 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,992,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I think perhaps part of what I'm saying is based on personal experience, as well. Have grown up in a suburb of NYC and lived in urban areas in NYC and Chicago, I tend to equate cities with density, walking, public transit, etc...however the case may be entirely different in cities that lack the density or mass transit options of New York and, to a lesser degree, Chicago.

I am pretty sure I've read that thing about commute times somewhere more authoritative than, well, my repeating it on an internet message board. I'll try to find it and post it later, when I have the time.
Western and Southern cities rarely have the density that pre-automobile east coast cities (and Chicago) have. As a result, development and commuting patterns are probably significantly different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 06:34 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,070,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Netherlands is the most densely populated country in Europe, and that's saying something. Everyone lives in these medium-rise apt buildings that are smack against the sidewalk, no setbacks, no trees. People, people everywhere!
Yes I know and I adore Amsterdam it is a beautiful city...I see nothing wrong with Amsterdam…cities should be densely populated

Old 04-23-2008, 06:42 PM

1,914 posts, read 5,177,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Yes I know and I adore Amsterdam it is a beautiful city...I see nothing wrong with Amsterdam…cities should be densely populated
A city like that would be so depressing for me to live in. No setbacks, no trees or greenery. And people packed in like cattle in a pen. No thank you.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:10 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,124,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlez View Post
Wait...what poor city has grocery stores every few miles?
Denver, in the residential neighborhoods. It's been a long time since I lived in Pittsburgh, but there, too, as I recall. By every few miles, I mean 2-3 miles apart or so.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-23-2008 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-23-2008, 07:17 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,992,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
A city like that would be so depressing for me to live in. No setbacks, no trees or greenery. And people packed in like cattle in a pen. No thank you.
Its not all bad. Don't forget about the legal pot and hookers!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,165,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver, in the residential neighborhoods. It's been a long time since I lived in Pittsburgh, but there, too, as I recall. By every few miles, I mean 2-3 miles apart or so.
How did people walk to the grocery stores? 2-3 miles is an extremely long walk for groceries.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,395,881 times
My local grocery store is only a 5 minute walk away. Its not some huge place with parking for 500 like you're accustomed to out in the 'burbs. Just a local grocery store, no parking, but it has a good selection of everything I need, and the food there is actually cheaper than the larger grocery stores nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
How did people walk to the grocery stores? 2-3 miles is an extremely long walk for groceries.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:49 PM

I was going to say that Amsterdam probably has lots to offer sans the hookers, pot, and crazy left-wing politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Its not all bad. Don't forget about the legal pot and hookers!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:50 PM

Cities in the sunbelt are equivalent to suburbs in the Northeast.

Suburbs in the sunbelt are the equivalent to the exurbs in the Northeast.

Exurbs in the sunbelt are considered to be "way out in the sticks" in the Northeast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Western and Southern cities rarely have the density that pre-automobile east coast cities (and Chicago) have. As a result, development and commuting patterns are probably significantly different.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,124,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Good grief! First someone says I'm saying the stores aren't that close together, then another person comes along and says the opposite. Frankly, I don't think too many people ever walked to the grocery store, every time they shopped. I grew up in a streetcar suburb back in the 50s and 60s. My mom walked to the 'corner grocery store' (what we would call a convenience store today) but she drove to a supermarket for her weekly grocery shopping. If you're buying for a family, you've got a lot to bring back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning