Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 11:27 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
On the other hand, Billy Joel never wrote a song about Chicago (I don't think, LOL).

Been 38 years now, I can't friggin' believe how fast it went. But the words were prophetic about many areas in the U.S., not just PA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHnJp0oyOxs
Well, Billy Joel is no Sinatra...

https://www.google.com/search?source...sclient=psy-ab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 06:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
And Sinatra didn't write "Chicago", either. As far as I know Sinatra never wrote any songs at all, just sang them.

Old 11-07-2020, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
And Sinatra didn't write "Chicago", either. As far as I know Sinatra never wrote any songs at all, just sang them.
Nor did he write My Kind of Town and certainly nothing about Allentown. But Wikipedia tells me that he did write the grand total of seven songs.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:06 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Housing is in short supply in and around London. That’s why those projects made economic sense. Allentown on the other hand doesn’t need more housing and especially not housing that would be very expensive. Given what a developer would have to spend to make the building habitable, the cost of rest or purchase would have to be way outside what that market bears to make it attractive for redevelopment.
Most of those developments aren't in London, and the saving of part or all of such buildings is common place in Europe and many countries across the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, here's what you do.

Put together a consortium of investors to re-develop the property. Write a business plan that shows how and when they will recoup their investment. Be sure to include sufficient information on current residential trends in the area to show that apartments in a former insane asylum will be attractive to typical homebuyers in the area. Calculate the tax implications for the municipality - costs of extending services vs. anticipated tas revenue. Will public schools have to be prepared for an influx of new residents? How about road and street construction? Road and street infrastructure that were sufficient for 100 or 200 doctors nurses and staffers in the 1960s will probably be insufficient for 500 apartments housing an average of more than one person each. Make up a parking plan. Every apartment will have at least one automobile. Negotiate with local utilities for the added services (for example, 500 electric meters and 500 individual electric services vs. one; ditto for water, internet, etc.) Determine the mechanical implications of 500 individual HVAC and sewer systems vs. one. Determine estimated costs for all construction and renovation. There are dozens if not hundreds of other factors I haven't written down that will determine whether there's any value to redeveloping this property, as well.

If there is profit in it, then it can happen. See how easy it is?

Methinks OP doesn't know anything about construction or planning or financing.
It's for Americans to save their own grand historic buildings and architecture. As for infrastructure the US has more space to build roads and infrastructure than most countries.

Personally I find it sad that such beautiful historic buildings are being destroyed however that's as far as it goes, and I commend some of the local people for trying to save many of the buildings.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:17 AM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Most people have never heard of it, and will never see it, Why should their tax money be spent on it?

Old 11-08-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Most of those developments aren't in London, and the saving of part or all of such buildings is common place in Europe and many countries across the world.

It's for Americans to save their own grand historic buildings and architecture. As for infrastructure the US has more space to build roads and infrastructure than most countries.

Personally I find it sad that such beautiful historic buildings are being destroyed however that's as far as it goes, and I commend some of the local people for trying to save many of the buildings.
You're tossing softballs - the devil is in the details; answer a few tougher questions. What is it that you see as the best viable use for this building if it was rehabilitated? Do you see a need to preserve the entire campus or only part? What entity do you see providing the funding for such an effort? Do you believe support, both social and economic, exists for such an enormous undertaking?

Old 11-08-2020, 06:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
How strange here we bulldozer them after 70 years in France they renovate for centuries

Old 11-08-2020, 10:22 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
How strange here we bulldozer them after 70 years in France they renovate for centuries
Still depends on the region and especially the city in the USA. There are many saved structures and those that are not. There are old warehouses converted to loft-living and those that are not. Lot depends on location and how preservationist fight to save them till investors are found to save and re-purpose them with funds needed.

We Sadly, the US is not saving all of its old great structures not in key areas they are located in. Some are saved at the last moment of decay. Some at some point before. Still a re-purpose they need as to do so needs to have a profit for those investing in such and task.

The US is a HUGE Nation and not restricted into a size of one or 2 states as some Nations in Europe and the UK. One needs to realize that too. Not everything is built to last a century or needs to be saved in a evolving era of decade to decade and changes that occur. Still the USA can do better in saving its oldest great solid architecture buildings. Just it takes money and investors and not by the Government that the OP seems to think is key....

Old 11-11-2020, 12:13 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
There are thousands of these type of places across the US.

https://www.asylumprojects.org/index.php/Main_Page

Old 11-12-2020, 05:21 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
There are thousands of these type of places across the US.

https://www.asylumprojects.org/index.php/Main_Page
That's a good link, thanks. I have a friend in East Peoria, and in 2018 we drove down to look at the Peoria State Hospital, and maybe stick our heads inside if it was accessible. Alas, it was no more, torn down in 2017. We did walk through the cemetery on the grounds, it was pretty interesting. Simple markers for people long forgotten.

It's a shame that at least some of the key architectural pieces from Allentown couldn't be saved, and maybe incorporated into a small, restored portion, maybe as a tourist attraction or something. Money, I guess. I have to wonder if an architectural salvage company wouldn't be interested in the stairwells, doors, trim, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning