Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 11:51 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,586,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Wrong answer.

Traffic engineers' job is to move traffic as efficiently as possible.

Social engineers' job is whatever they think they can do to manage and control other peoples' lives. These cars are on the road for a reason.
Safety is also a crucial aspect of the job, and economic development/community interests play a big deal into decisions made around projects (if the goal was just to move traffic as efficiently as possible, there would be no need for us to solicit input from the general public or elected officials).

Probably the biggest thing I've learned since going into transportation engineering is that traffic engineering isn't silo-ed into it's own field, it is intricately linked to more things than you think such as land use planning (is there enough capacity on a road to support certain types of developments), context-sensitivity (city/town wants a downtown/urban center street = not appropriate to build a 6 lane highway there), etc... that require coordination/input from multiple stakeholders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 07:14 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Roundabouts reduce cars "bunching up." This helps move more cars, quicker and more efficiently.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:31 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,399,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I knew you were going to say NJ when I read circle because that's what they're called here.

Where did you grow up? I'm originally from Union county. I mostly saw jug handles in North Jersey. We had jug handles on route 22 up by the Watchung Sears.

I also lived in Browns Mills by route 70, there was one where it met route 72, another at route 202 with another at route 73. They did away with the route 73 one. If you go towards Ocean county on route 70, there are 2 more I believe so I'm wondering if that's where you lived.
Rt 23 in Passaic and Morris County - north from Rt 46 thru Wayne, Pequannock, to Riverdale. Rt 202 crossed into Wayne at one of the circles. I learned to drive on some of these crazy circles. They were mostly gone by the mid 1980s. Rt 23 was the 50 mph, 2 lanes in each direction, separated by a grass median highway. I had a front row seat for many horrific accidents.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:57 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
Here in Florida, with a lot of retirees, roundabouts are not a timesaver. My sister, who just turned 65, stopped using a road she used to love because they put one in at an intersection.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:27 AM

6,793 posts, read 9,340,858 times
I think they work well in the right situations, although there is a road near my house in which there are 5 or 6 roundabouts along the road, maybe within the span of 4 miles or so, and some of the roundabouts are slightly different in terms of number of lanes and pattern. Some of them are one lane in the circle, some of them are two lanes in the circle, and as an example if you want to make what would traditionally be a “left†turn, the way to do that from one is a bit different from the other even though both have two lanes. Even though I’ve lived in my neighborhood for about 6 years, I still have to stop and think at times when I travel on that road. But, overall, I can live with them. The traffic isn’t so heavy here to the point where they cause backups.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:30 AM

There's a town in Indiana called Carmel where they have constructed 120+ roundabouts. Go to Google Maps sometime and check it out.

(Another pro for the roundabout I just thought of is that it saves the municipality money in terms of annual maintenance/operating costs vs. having to pay for a signal)

Old 02-15-2021, 09:18 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,197 times
Default Don't have to sit at a traffic light ...

when there is no cars and you are in the country.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:58 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
There's a town in Indiana called Carmel where they have constructed 120+ roundabouts. Go to Google Maps sometime and check it out.

(Another pro for the roundabout I just thought of is that it saves the municipality money in terms of annual maintenance/operating costs vs. having to pay for a signal)
Yep, I work in Carmel. They've replaced just about every traffic light (in a city of 100,000 on the edge of Indianapolis) with roundabouts to the point I think the city has just 8 stoplights left with at least 4 more of those going in the next year or two. And I believe they are at 135 or so roundabouts, supposedly more than any city in the US. I go through 10 roundabouts on my 10 mile commute and my commute was reduced from 35 minutes to 25 minutes when they replaced 5 stoplights on my drive with roundabouts. Whenever I'm sitting at a red light now, especially with a left turn arrow, all I can think about is how much quicker I'd have been through if it were a roundabout.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Yep, I work in Carmel. They've replaced just about every traffic light (in a city of 100,000 on the edge of Indianapolis) with roundabouts to the point I think the city has just 8 stoplights left with at least 4 more of those going in the next year or two. And I believe they are at 135 or so roundabouts, supposedly more than any city in the US. I go through 10 roundabouts on my 10 mile commute and my commute was reduced from 35 minutes to 25 minutes when they replaced 5 stoplights on my drive with roundabouts. Whenever I'm sitting at a red light now, especially with a left turn arrow, all I can think about is how much quicker I'd have been through if it were a roundabout.
Do you think most people in Carmel generally have a positive impression of the roundabouts? Have there been any issues that you can think of?

Old 02-15-2021, 03:11 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Do you think most people in Carmel generally have a positive impression of the roundabouts? Have there been any issues that you can think of?
Overall, it seems most people that live here strongly prefer roundabouts to the stoplights they replaced. It's people that come in from out of town and aren't used to them that hate them, and that can be understandable. And that leads to the biggest issue with them. Being a suburb of a big city, with lots of medical facilities and offices, there are definitely a lot of people that have to go into Carmel that aren't used to it and get confused with the roundabouts, especially ones that are multi lane roundabouts, and they don't pay attention to which lane goes where. I've seen many instances where 2 lanes go straight through the roundabout yet someone in the right lane goes left or the left lane goes right. Each roundabout typically has trees, flowers, or sculptures in the middle to help them be seen at night and also to block the view across, I guess the idea is to make it so you only worry about what's coming from the left.

Winter weather can sometimes be an issue but Carmel really salts up the roundabouts when there's snow and ice. Often, the roundabouts are the most clear parts of the street!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning